Geocaching

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PrincessLeppard, Aug 4, 2014.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Does anyone else here do this? I needed an excuse to get out of the house (on the few times I am free) and downloaded the introductory app for my iPhone.

So far I've found two. :) One was super tiny and it took me three trips to find, so I'm pretty pleased with that one. (it helps to read previous comments, doesn't it? I was looking for a container or something...)

So far the free app is fine. Has anyone upgraded to the full one? It's $9.99 for three months or something like $30 for a year.

2. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

I think MacMadame posted about geocaching pretty recently, probably in the Snark thread.

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask - just coming up on my 9th anniversary of caching and have over 20000 finds. I just got back from a 3 mile hike to get a traditional cache. Also stopped by for a puzzle and a multi. I can't offer much help for iPhones. I do my caching with a Garmin 76CSx and just recently got a smart phone with c:geo which is for androids. I use it to do Wherigo caches. Those super tiny containers (nanos) can be really difficult to find. I prefer finding ammo cans and tupperware containers out in the woods.

skateycat and (deleted member) like this.
  4. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Im interested in trying it out with the kids and hubby.

5. Sassafras

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

6. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

And many snarks I have!

I've found 6 or 7 now. I am using my cell phone with their free app on it combined with an account on the web site. I use the web site to do pre-work and the app in the field as my GPS. I've had mixed results with the GPS on my phone. In some places, usually outdoors in parks, it works like a champ. When I'm in an urban area, it goes nuts. It says I'm inside buildings or standing in the middle of roads being run over by cars when I am not! So I just try to figure out where the cache is by looking at the map and doing old-fashioned map reading.

I've decided I'm not particularly good at deciphering the clues and I have gotten totally misled a few times.

7. PrincessLeppard

I went looking for four today and found two. I knew I was in the right area for the other two, but couldn't find them. But I'm pretty excited for my two. :)

8. backspin

backspin Active Member

I tried it a few times with mixed success. It was really really hard to find them, and I ended up crawling under bushes, slogging through swampy areas, and in one instance, standing in a patch of poison ivy. It just started to seem more trouble than it was worth.....maybe I would like the urban geocaching better.

9. PrincessLeppard

The four I've found have been in the city, one was attached to a parking meter and the other three have been on trails in the city, two on park benches. The urban ones (in my limited experience) are tiny. Look at the website and see what some containers look like. That's how I found the one on the parking meter, because it is teeny tiny. (A nano)

10. MacMadame

I actually have had better luck finding the ones not in urban settings. They tend to be hidden under bushes and trees and are more straightforward to find. The urban ones often involve thinking non-literally. I tend to be pretty literal.

11. Sassafras

I prefer the ones on trails. Hate going into neighborhoods (even when the write up says hidden with the permission of the property owner) or searching where there are a lot of people. The great thing is - there is such a variety you can pick and choose what you want to go after.

12. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I had never heard of this until MacMadame's snark and now i've googled it there are loads hidden within 1km of my house. I may have to go and investigate.

I suspect it's because i live on the outskirts of a suburban area that starts to get into countryside so hiding things out in the fields and trails near my house would be a "country adventure" for those that live more in the city proper!

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

My nephew (2nd grader) loves geocaching. I haven't been able to go with him yet, but he took my Dad once and they had a lot of fun.

14. MacMadame

antmanb, I live in a suburb and there are tons around me. I think it's just if you live near someone who likes to hide them. There is some dude in my town who has hidden 100! In fact, he's hidden so many that someone even bitched about it on the geocaching.com forums. :lol:

I still want to hide one. But I want to find a few more before I do so I get the hang of where to hide them and how to write a good hint.

And I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only one who can't find them right away and has to go back a few times!

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

This is like a different language to me. Off to find out what geocaching is.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sassafras

Don't feel bad - there are some that I've had to go 3 or 4 times. And others if I can't find it the first time I never go back (uncomfortable with the area or parking/uninteresting location/whatever.)

17. PrincessLeppard

Does everyone log their "did not finds"?

I haven't, though I understand why it's important to do so. I think, for me, I'm pretty sure I'm just missing it, not that it isn't there. I will probably log those in the future when I feel more comfortable that I have exhausted all possibilities.

18. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Oh god, I literally thought geocaching was searching for geodes.

19. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

I went to a geocaching session at a conference I was just at, and I have gone a couple of times with mr skateycat and little skateycat. When little skateycat went camping with grandpa cat, I sent them with a printout on one cache, and they succeeded in finding the cache.

We are also using it as an excuse to get outside.

20. Sassafras

Funny you should say that. A friend has a series Geode Caching with the container holding the log attached to a base with a geode on it. Of course a lot of the geodes were ripped off. Sorry I don't have a photo of one.

21. MacMadame

I've only done it once. I was going to do it another time when I thought the cache just wasn't there but I went back again and figured it out and now I'm glad I didn't.

I would do it if I was pretty sure the cache wasn't there, I think.

22. Sassafras

I don't log as many as I should, but did log 2 of them today.

23. PrincessLeppard

I took my dad with me to find one today and we did. It was in an old phone booth, so that was extra cool. :)

24. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Thanks! I signed up on the website and it looks like there are many in and near my suburban town. So how do we start? Just pick one from the site's list? Are the containers labeled? I'm feeling a bit nervous since some reviews for some have mentioned things like poison ivy.

25. Sassafras

PM sent

26. PrincessLeppard

Also, look at the pictures of different containers on the website in the shop, and read the log under the one you are going to look for. (Sometimes there are also pictures of the cache). And I think the ones highlighted in green are for beginners.

I'm sure sassafras went over all that. :)

I found one in Kansas yesterday with my dad, and he definitely reacted to something while we were slogging off a trail. I just slipped in the mud. ;)

27. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I've been once but it was a lot of fun! It's actually been a couple years since I went geocaching but I'd like to get back into it.

28. PrincessLeppard

I found two tonight, one super easy and another a bit more difficult.

Sassafras, if the website says there are trackables in the cache, but there aren't, should I post that in my note?

Also, I think I got my dad hooked. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  29. Sassafras

Yes, that would be a good thing to do.

30. PrincessLeppard

I will do that. There is also a cache near me that needs to be adopted. It's in desperate need of a new container and I'm thinking of just getting one and putting it to use. The CO hasn't been active in three years and I run on the trail fairly regularly so I could watch it.

I also was bummed that I couldn't get one out of a tree stump today. I need to get a hanger or something to pull it out so I can sign the log.