Genrikh Sretenski pleads guilty to reduced charge in NY court

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Adirondack Daily Enterprise article: http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...pleads-guilty-to-reduced-charge.html?nav=5008

2. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

Sorry to hear that he pleaded guilty as I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. I feel bad for the skater, I do hope she manages to overcome this incident.

3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^ That was my approach as well. Very sorry to be proven wrong.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He might have agreed to plead guilty in exchange for having the charge reduced and not having to go to prison. It could be that he and his lawyer thought that was a better outcome than taking the chance of pleading not guilty and then being convicted after a trial.

Do the USFS and/or PSA automatically ban a coach who has a charge like this on their record, or is it on a case-by-case basis?

5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Will be interesting to see what happens with the civil case as well -and does that have any effect on PSA suspensions?

6. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

I would certainly hope so.

Anyone with this record should not have authorized access to students or be a participant in any sanctioned coaching programs. Parents assume that professional credentials mean a certain amount of vetting and minimum standards; no one with a criminal record that includes "endangering the welfare of a child" should be approved by either PSA or USFSA to teach children. I don't know what the reality is though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  7. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

A poster on another board mentioned that Sretenski cannot write in English and if that is the case then it puts a whole different spin on the situation and raises another set of questions:

Is the student a Russian-speaking student and if so did the text messages in Russian mean the same as the text messages would in English?
    Were the student's previous mental health issues considered?
    Were the English-speaking people involved aware that maybe this type of coach-student relationship may be acceptable in Russia?

Wow this is a complicated case...we do not want to make the coach guilty and thus ruin his career.

8. Cocomo

Cocomo New Member

I'm sure several of Sretenski's students and their parents, past and present would disagree.

9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

The coach has been found guilty in a court of law. Not only that but he *pled* guilty. That seems pretty simple to me.

10. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I agree. Wonder why others want to make him innocent now.

11. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

the student is not Russian speaking.

12. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I'll check local (DC area) newscasts today & tomorrow morn. I'm sure they'll mention this story, as they did very often last September when it broke.

13. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

coughMorozovcough

14. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

IMO people on charges like this should not be allowed to plea-bargain down.

But anyway. I would hope this disqualifies him from coaching FOREVER.

15. valyrian

valyrian New Member

This part makes me very, very sad:

A child being shunned after reporting a sex crime is horrifying. :( I hope the girl is able to heal, and I hope Sretenski is barred from coaching anyone ever again.

16. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Ignorance of a law has never, to my knowledge, been a successful defense upon breaking the law. And is it acceptable in Russia for a coach to have a relationship with a 16-year-old girl?

I am frankly quite disgusted by the attitude that we should still try to find a way to proclaim the innocence of a predator who took advantage of a 16-year-old girl. And absolutely anyone with this sort of charge should never be allowed to coach again, or at the very least should never be allowed to coach anyone under the age of 18.

misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  17. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Wow. Pretty sure this is one of the most disgusting posts I've read in a while...

It is IRRELEVANT what is acceptable/legal in Russia, because IT WAS NOT IN RUSSIA. And it's not like this guy had only been in the states a few months. He's been there for a long time, he knows how it works. And at what point, EVER, is it acceptable for an older man in a position of authority to prey on a young girl? Have a think about what you're saying here.

And why are the girl's "mental health issues" relevant? Sounds to me like you're victim-blaming.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's far from simple. Maybe he pleaded guilty because he felt he had no chances in court?

Since Morozov's relationship with Ilynikh started when she was 17, yes.

(Age of consent in Russia is 16 and as far as I know, unlike in certain countries it's not 18 if there's an imbalance of power like teacher-student, so it's perfectly legal whatever your moral judgement of that is.)

Whatever took place between the two of them doesn't make what happened acceptable, to me anyway.

But there could have been extenuating circumstances involved (probably not the right phrase, I mean there could have been certain facts which could be used as arguments for reducing the severity of the sentence).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  19. CoyoteChris

CoyoteChris New Member

Interesting article. But beyond the total disgust of men in power preying on young girls "under" them, the civil suit is interesting....
    In general, I suppose like any business, coaches have to have liability insurance just like the rinks that "hire" them?

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Okay, I couldn't quite recall when the relationship started. I think I was in denial for a while there anyway :shuffle: But if it's legal, it's legal. Here, it's not, and as I said, nowhere is ignorance of the law an acceptable excuse for flouting it.

It's absolutely disgusting that people are ostracizing this girl for this. My God, it's 2013. When are we going to grow up as a society?

21. MacMadame

Which would only happen if the evidence was overwhelming. Because in the US it's very hard to get a conviction for these sorts case because people are so willing to blame the victim. Most of the time these cases never get this far.

In this case, we have reports of hundreds of text messages sent over a short period of time to an underage girl who was uninterested in him. I'm not surprised he pled down.

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I can't figure out what I was doing in September. Following this case, though, I was not. So I'm playing catch-up tonight.

I have a bunch of questions:
    1. How does banning coaches work? Is it through USFS or PSA, or both? Can a person be banned by PSA, but not USFS, and vice versa?
    2. How does one find out who is banned? In gymnastics, USAG has a list on its website.
    3. Why does this keep happening? I mean, within the FS community. This is one of several that's cropped up in the last...6 months? Is there too much fear of being ostracized like this girl has been?

23. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

This...not to mention it's cheaper to plead guilty with no jail time than to go to court for a year and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a defense.

If it were overwhelming they wouldn't have offered a plea deal. It would have gone to trial.

25. MacMadame

It's pretty common to offer a plea to save everyone some time. The DAs office in most jurisdiction is practical like that.

There is absolutely nothing I have read about this case that would make me think Sretenski is being railroaded for something he didn't do. I think people are making excuses for him because he's famous and pretty and they don't want to believe someone whose career they enjoyed could possibly do something like this.

misskarne and (deleted member) like this.
  26. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Well, before the court's decision, everybody deserves to have the benifit of doubt... Right now, and considering the outcome of this case, I just hope he gets banned from coaching any underage skater.

27. Sk8tn

Sk8tn New Member

This didn't come from a figure the public would have seen as a visible trainwreck; it was from someone seen as capable, accomplished and professional. It's just another case that erodes institutional trust (like abuses of power relationships in other arenas - Penn State, church scandals, any number of local examples in every location).

Plus, the climate in the US for victims is not favorable. Look at the Steubenville, OH case. It was very close to being swept under the rug.

28. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

From a legal perspective, the defense counsel needs to investigate the mental health of the accuser in that if the accuser is delusional, a compulsive liar, or has other mental health issues then that it very relevant to the case. I'm not saying, and I never said that Sretenski was innocent, nor did I mention that the accuser is lying. I do feel for the skater and hope she is able to overcome the issue and move on with her life.

Relationships between men and 16-year old females are common in countries outside of North America and Western Europe.

29. valyrian

valyrian New Member

That has no bearing on the fact that a) no means no means no and b) the age of consent in New York is 17.

30. EuroWaltzing

EuroWaltzing New Member

You are exactly correct. But I'm thinking that old habits die hard and this Sretenski guy is Russian and does not want to give up his old ways from the old country. Do you know what I mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.