Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I see exactly one "alleged" in both of your posts on the TV reports. Sorry, but when talking about cases like this, what is alleged and what is fact needs to be clearly pointed out.

2. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

How can you allege that I did not allege enough? You are alleging incorrectly!

3. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

4. Frau Muller

It is only alleged. Don't forget that. Anyway, the article mentions it plenty:

The lawsuit filed in July in Prince George’s County, Md., alleges Genrikh Sretenski (GURN’-rick sray-TEN’-ski) kissed the girl and touched her breasts in July 2011 in a hotel room. It also alleges he sent her more than 500 text messages. The lawsuit, filed by the girl’s father, says the girl has ended her skating career because of what happened. As a result, it seeks $5 million in damages.

Wow. Poor girl, if it is true. So the civil suit had been brewing even earlier.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

The article says the lawsuit was actually filed; it is not alleged that the lawsuit was filed. The claims/charges are alleged.

6. Cocomo

Cocomo New Member

Alleged 500 text messages from a 50 year old coach to his 16 year old student regardless of content is a bit strange. :slinkaway

7. Frau Muller

Right! But we all have to say 'alleged' or be sued. It's like Nancy Grace on TV, biting her lips every time that she has to remind everyone that the crimes said to have been committed by the usual subjects of her TV show are just alleged. (Of course, Nancy will be gloating on tonight's show, now that ex-cop Drew Peterson has been found guilty of murder of wife #3...but that's another story..back to our subject.)

8. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Skating making the kind of headlines that go beyond the sports page. Gee. Great.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt you would think this was so funny if you were charged with a crime, and there were damaging allegations about you being circulated.

cholla and (deleted member) like this.
  10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Maybe the text messages were like "Practice your field moves", "Do 6 camel spins", etc.

I wonder how the girl's parents arrived at the $5 million in damage value?

11. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I was going to stay out of this ALLEGED charge, but, I must say, that $500 million in damages makes me think this all about money.
    :blah:

12. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Wow, that is some jump between the posts. Yes, 5 million is a lot of money.

13. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

The text message thing made me think of an episode of Veronica Mars entitled Mars vs. Mars. In it, a teacher is accused of sexually harassing a student, complete with text messages. In court, Veronica demonstrated how easy it was to steal or borrow a phone, send a quick text, and then return the phone, casting doubt on whether or not it was the teacher who sent the texts.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

In the legal world, one says "alleged victim (AV)", not accuser. That is my only gripe.

15. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Is he still teaching at the rinks or have his teaching privileges been suspended pending the outcome of the charges & an investigation? There could be some serious liability issues, considering the circumstances, if management & club leaders permit him to continue to teach while the charges are pending & anything else happened.

16. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

^ all the articles listed say he was arrested and being held for extradition to ny, which was suppose to happen yesterday.

17. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

500 times.. that's a lot of borrowed/stolen phones :shuffle:

18. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

I repeat, I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

19. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

Story was just on the news. He was denied bail today. It was mentioned that another hearing is scheduled for Monday - I assume that is for extradition to NY.

They did a close-up of the charging document, zooming in on the words "kissed" and "no" (attributed to the alleged victim). His lawyer was interviewed and said they have not yet been given info on the charges. She noted that he was arrested Tuesday morning at home "in front of his young child." Regardless of who's telling the truth/guilty/innocent, let's keep his wife and children in our thoughts - this must be a nightmare for them.

20. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It would be one thing if Iceymom had said she was shocked and found the allegations hard to believe because". . . It's quite another to be presenting opinion as fact on the internet, including judging the accuser and revealing the accuser's gender. And should she or anyone actually have insider knowledge of the case, it is obvious that it shouldn't be revealed on the internet. Especially given that she or someone else could be called as a witness.

And assuming that Iceymom does know him as the coach of her child and as a member of the rink's ice dance community, does this mean she knows him well enough to pass judgment on his innocence versus guilt? Also, she did not say think as you did - she said know.

I think not. And knowing others who believe he must be innocent as well is rather irrelevant to the case. I'm not passing judgment on this case, but innumerable people charged with or guilty of sexual assault have a group of people who can't believe they would do it. People who commit sexual assault are often ostensibly decent folk and not sleazeballs.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  21. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^^^and YOUR name is? :rolleyes: Your affiliation? Your homeclub? Your kid's names and emails?

22. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Moderators- thank you for removing offending post. Can you remove Iceymom from posting here as well?

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Regardless of what the truth is, making a statement like this is just disgusting.

This is the typical mud-throwing, 'blaming the victim' sexist discourse.

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse. It doesn't matter all how sexually active the victim was or wasn't.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Is is typical to deny bail in cases involving minors or extradition? Because the civil suit was filed a while ago so he knew this investigation was brewing, yet he was at his home, I presume still teaching in MD. Seems like he had plenty of time to flee, but didn't. Did he go to Lake Placid ice dance comp this summer?

Anyway, if they have the phones, they should be able to figure out where the texts came from.

25. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing Rob, but decided it must be due to the impending extradition.

It is odd that almost an entire year separates the alleged victim's complaint to police and the arrest. When you think about her having to go to the rink every day after the complaint and face not only him but rabid skate moms like iceymom, it's no wonder she quit the sport. The civil case is making a bit more sense.

Eta: I just realized that they're suing the rink as well, hence all of the skating mom comments letting us know that the alleged victim is in "fact" a lying skank. :rolleyes:

26. Frau Muller

Great point. Maybe the alleged victim was trying to help police build a case, IF -- repeat, IF -- this was a recurring pattern of behavior by the alleged perpetrator? I guess that details will come out in time.

FOX published this article, with a few more details:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/06/arrested-us-skating-coach-accused-sexually-abusing-teen/

The suit, filed in July in Prince George's County, Maryland, by the girl's father, also alleges Sretenski sent more than 500 text messages, including "I go crazy when I look at you" and "I love you" and urged her to delete them.

The girl, identified in court papers as an "elite, nationally acclaimed skater," quit the sport because of what happened and suffered severe emotional distress

27. snowballs

snowballs New Member

it is the maximum coverage on the PSA liability insurance
    http://www.amerspec.com/psa/insurance_summary.pdf

28. Frau Muller

29. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

30. jlai

jlai Title-less

Thread Status: