Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, Sep 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

^^^and YOUR name is? :rolleyes: Your affiliation? Your homeclub? Your kid's names and emails?
  2. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Moderators- thank you for removing offending post. Can you remove Iceymom from posting here as well?
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Regardless of what the truth is, making a statement like this is just disgusting.

This is the typical mud-throwing, 'blaming the victim' sexist discourse.

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse. It doesn't matter all how sexually active the victim was or wasn't.
  4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Is is typical to deny bail in cases involving minors or extradition? Because the civil suit was filed a while ago so he knew this investigation was brewing, yet he was at his home, I presume still teaching in MD. Seems like he had plenty of time to flee, but didn't. Did he go to Lake Placid ice dance comp this summer?

Anyway, if they have the phones, they should be able to figure out where the texts came from.
  5. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing Rob, but decided it must be due to the impending extradition.

It is odd that almost an entire year separates the alleged victim's complaint to police and the arrest. When you think about her having to go to the rink every day after the complaint and face not only him but rabid skate moms like iceymom, it's no wonder she quit the sport. The civil case is making a bit more sense.

Eta: I just realized that they're suing the rink as well, hence all of the skating mom comments letting us know that the alleged victim is in "fact" a lying skank. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  6. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Great point. Maybe the alleged victim was trying to help police build a case, IF -- repeat, IF -- this was a recurring pattern of behavior by the alleged perpetrator? I guess that details will come out in time.

FOX published this article, with a few more details:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/06/arrested-us-skating-coach-accused-sexually-abusing-teen/

The suit, filed in July in Prince George's County, Maryland, by the girl's father, also alleges Sretenski sent more than 500 text messages, including "I go crazy when I look at you" and "I love you" and urged her to delete them.

The girl, identified in court papers as an "elite, nationally acclaimed skater," quit the sport because of what happened and suffered severe emotional distress
  7. snowballs

snowballs New Member

it is the maximum coverage on the PSA liability insurance
    http://www.amerspec.com/psa/insurance_summary.pdf
  8. Frau Muller

9. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

10. jlai

jlai Title-less

11. snowballs

snowballs New Member

a figure skating couch... is that something like a Disney dancing teapot?
  12. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Is that somebody's short dance this year? Please let it be the Greek team.
  13. berthesghost

Considering the charges, I suspect a figure skating couch is something used in the kiss & cry. :eek:
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

brought to you by Babblefish? (sorry)
  16. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

These sort of situations are always very delicate. Let's not point the finger against Sretensky or the alleged victim. That is the easiest thing to do. Let the judicial system do it's work and hope that truth will prevail.
  17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

No, but it would be a great open for a Simpson's episode.
  18. valyrian

valyrian New Member

This thread makes me regret joining FSU.

I can't believe the willingness to defend a possible child molester. I can't believe there are people dragging out a plot point from a TV show to defend him. Accusing the victim of greed for filing a civil case? Really? The benefit of doubt should always go to the underaged victim. Always.

TAT'S comments are cringeworthy.
    4rkidz and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Really? I thought most people in this thread were advocating the "innocent until proven guilty" mindset, towards both the accused and the alleged victim. I thought most people were finding it cringeworthy that someone would publically "out" the alleged victim by gender, name, situation, and slander that person here. Perhaps I'm biased, but I think considering the insidious nature of what this thread could, and may still become, it's been mostly compassionate and even-minded, with one notable exception.
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  20. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I agree. Lots of respectable and respected folks can commit horrible acts. TAT and Sretenski would be better served by TAT keeping her mouth shut. TAT only calls attention to the alleged incident, which can't be helping Sretenski. If TAT is wrong, it shows her lack of judgment (already does, IMO, by speaking out). If TAT is right, what good comes of it? "See, I told you so?"

O-
  21. berthesghost

What did TAT say?
  22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This!
  23. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Well she praises Sretenski as a hard-working, nice and decent person and criticizes the American approach to coaching "without touching the student" and that it's impossible without it.

This comment reminds me of a documentary I saw about an American girl who made it to the Bolshoi Ballet Academy in Moscow and she said that it was an entirely new experience for her that the teachers there actually do touch the students to show them how to do this or that movement correctly and that something like this would be impossible in America.

Since we don't know what exactly happened last year in Lake Placid I don't know whether TAT (who probably knows a bit more...who knows) is even considering "serious" sexual assault.
  24. berthesghost

He's not the only one being sued. The rink and the club are both part of the civil suit, I assume because both accused coach and alleged victim were allowed to train together after the report of abuse was filed with the police. This could take them all down. We will see once the info becomes public, but it is a very curious situation imo when a skater files a police report and the club not only keeps the accused on and active, but seems to rally behind him. Skating imo, remains like 30 years behind the times always.
  25. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

But working under the "innocent until proven guilty" precident, why should Stretenski be forced to give up his emplyment solely based on an accusation - before any charges were filed?

Sexual assault is one of those crimes where the public assumes that the accused MUST be guilty simply because someone made an accusation.
  26. berthesghost

Because a primary concern of schools, clubs etc,.. is to provide a safe environment for their underage pupils. As soon as he was accused he should have been placed on paid leave pending the outcome of an investigation. Keeping him on and in contact with students doesn't say "we have no opinion until proof is available" it says "we believe him over her".
  27. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

When I commented, "What good comes out of it," I meant what good comes out of TAT's current comments if Sretenski is acquitted? His acquittal will speak for itself.

O-
  28. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Is he an employee of the rink?

If not, if he gets no income directly from the rink and all directly from his students and their parents, the rink can't place him on leave, paid or otherwise, because they were never paying him or employing him in the first place. Same for the skating club, if he ever teaches on club ice.

They could only ban/suspend him from using their ice, or not.
  29. Frau Muller

Yeah, just ask the Penn State Athletic Dept. about keeping accused folks on.

With regard to TAT's comments, I'm willing to cut her some slack. She spoke about 'touching' in Russian vs US methods of teaching and most likely had not read all of the allegations of this case. I'm guessing that a reporter mentioned to her that the allegations involved 'touching' so TAT naturally thinks about touching while teaching, such as correcting positions. I would bet that TAT did not think about 'touching' as in allegedly fondling a student off the ice, in a bedroom or in some hidden corner of an ice rink.
  30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Are you serious teachers cannot touch the student to put their arm, leg, head in the right position in ballet class now? Jeez, they used to yank us all over the place. There is a huge difference between touching someone to correct their posture or leg line and inappropriate touching. It never felt skeevy to get a physical correction until this one teacher who showed up when I was in 9th grade. We all knew the difference right away. When he came by me or my friends to correct us, we would say "don't touch me" and he didn't. Then he asked an underage student to marry him, and he got dragged into court and fired. Then other students from other schools came forward....
  31. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Because "innocent until proven guilty" is about how the courts operate. It has nothing to do with how businesses or individual people operate. It just means that in countries that operate according to this principle, the burden of proof is on the prosecutor and not the defendant. In other countries, the burden is on the defendant to prove he's not guilty.

That's really all it means.

It doesn't mean we can't express our opinions about this case on the internet and it doesn't mean a business can't have rules employees must follow that include things like they can't even be arrested or they are fired.
  32. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

And it's more or less what TAT is saying:

"Вести ФМ": Я смотрю, по тому, что вы говорите, вы удивлены.
    Тарасова: Я вам хочу сказать, что вот это сейчас началось: "без прикосновений", а как учить-то без прикосновений? Пусть мне расскажут, как учить без прикосновений!

Vesti FM: You sound surprised
    TAT: Let me tell you all that `no touching thing' now. How are you supposed to teach without touching? I want someone to explain me how!

So yes, I reckon she is talking about the teaching touching, not the after-hours-in-the-hotel
  33. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

My ice dance coach touched me all the time. It's kind of hard to work on compulsory dances without touching. :lol:

But he never touched me in a hotel room and certainly he had no reason to touch my breasts even during a lesson.
  34. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

:respec: :respec: :respec:

:rolleyes: Do you have reading comprehension problems? Because I specifically stated
    And FYI, in the TV show, the teacher ended up being guilty. So I'm clearly not drawing any conclusions about Sretenski here, just making an observation.

Like many other sane posters in this thread, I will make NO assumptions about any of the parties involved. The courts will weigh the evidence and decide what really happened. What's so sad is that no matter what the court decision is, nobody wins. :(
  35. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

The primary patrons & members of skating rinks & skating clubs are minors. So once the rink or club becomes aware of any type of problem like this, it becomes a risk management issue.

According to the articles, it sounds like a police report was probably filed & PG Co social services was probably contacted, so it's a good guess that managers of the rink and directors of an affiliated skating organization may have had an awareness of the problem prior to a lawsuit filed in July. If they permitted him to continue to teach under those circumstances, then they are going to face liability issues.

Whether you advocate for the "innocent until proven guility" theory or not, a coach is in a position of power when it comes to minors. No matter what physical contact occurred or may end up being proven, the text messages alone are inappropriate for such an authority figure to send to a minor. Nothing more than that is needed for a rink or club to conclude there could be liability issues if teaching privileges are not restricted.

It's not surprising when something like this finally happens at some of these private facilities that have allowed (even encouraged) home school kids to spend extensive daytime hours at the rink, often with inadequate supervision. Many of the other rinks in this area are operated by the park authorities, so they tend to act much more quickly (up to & including contacting the park police or social services themselves) when they become aware of these types of problems.
  36. berthesghost

37. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Hmm, looks like the reporter who wrote this story was reading FSU. Not carefully enough, apparently.

38. halfloopy

halfloopy New Member

But if your daughter was one of his students would you continue to take lessons from him?

Just curious.
  39. _Lola_

_Lola_ New Member

It happend just recently, in Russia there was a case of well-know pianist, professor of one of the best muscial schools in Moscow Anatoly Riabov, now 66, who was accused in sexual harrassment toward a minor by mother of his 13 y.o. student. A couple of weeks ago Riabov was proven not guilty. There was a big discussion in Russian media, and TAT's husband, pianist Vladimir Krainev (he was alive then), wrote a letter of support for Riabov to the Russia's Minister of Culture. The acusation from the mother appeared right after the professor decided to stop teaching this girl due to his high workload. Muscial circles, Riabov's colleagues and the school all supported the professor.

Arthur Werner, who is not the most reliable source but usually has some information from insiders, sais something similar to what TAT said. He thinks it is not possible to teach a student without touching. He also sees this case as "revenge of girl's father for his unfulfiled dreams about her career". There are two comments on his forum, in case if someone is interested to read.

I am not saying that this case is similar to Riabov's case or that you have to trust TAT or Werner. I just think it is not right to slam Iceymom or any other poster who has different opinion. It does not mean that they support a child molester. This only means they see this situation differently, at least, at this point. This other side also has to be heard.
  40. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I think Werner is the worst possible advocate to bring. Taking half of his articles are about made up sexual life of skaters/coaches and he is mainly busy writing about skater's bust size (minors included) and had he be writing in English he would be sued after every 2nd article. I also don't recall Werner ever even trying to be polite about the women, so yes, if Werner says a man is not guilty in a sex scandal I'd jump to a conclusion the guy is guilty as hell
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.