general job hunting questions

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, May 21, 2010.

1. mkats

mkats New Member

I didn't want to usurp Brian's job question thread, so I thought we could use this one for general job hunting questions.

Here's mine - about two weeks ago I applied for a position and never heard back. Today I saw that the ad had been reposted in the same place as before, but with a more recent date (yesterday). My question is - do I assume that I've already been passed over for this job and should just let it go, or can I try again since they're still looking? (Or can I email them and ask for a followup to my previous application?) This is a position I really, really, want.

Thanks - and big hugs to all the other frustrated job hunters out there...

2. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Absolutely try again/follow up - it's possible your first application was lost or misplaced.

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

If there's some way to research the number of the hiring manager or HR, you can call and ask if they received your info. Calling sometimes works as it may lead to a mini phone interview. No guarantees, though.

If you can't dig up a number, you can send an email. Title it "Position X - Follow Up" Write it as if it was your cover letter. You noticed the other ad, replied, hadn't heard, and now see it again. Then, tell them that the position is something you're really interested in and uniquely qualified for because... Basically, the follow up email should be another sales pitch to see if you can get in for an interview.

4. mkats

mkats New Member

Here's the thing: it seems that the application process for this job is being done through a company that specializes in hiring/placing people. There isn't enough on the job description for me to figure out the identity of the actual place that I'd be working. I did find the office phone number of the lady (the recruiter) that I'd sent my application to - should I go ahead and call her, or send the followup email to her?

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I would call, even if it is only the recruiter. Just tell them you are following up after not hearing anything and that you saw the ad again, you are still very interested and you think you would be great for the job. Good luck!

6. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I agree that you should call and follow up, if you are a strong candidate, but just some words of wisdom: when a co goes to a headhunting agency to fill a position, it means they haven't been able to fill the position on their own, usually b/c they are looking for a very specific set of skills and experience. And if they've reached a point where they're willing to pay for their ideal candidate, they usually won't compromise on anything, so if you are not the exact person they are looking for, unfortunately you won't be considered.

I've run into this many times. The headhunting agency usually has a long list of requirements that they don't post in the job ad, so you usually have no idea what else the place is looking for. The job ads headhunting agencies post tend to be general b/c 1) space=money, 2) if the co is looking to replace a current employee, they don't want to give away enough info to tip the employee off, and/or 3) the headhunting agency likes collecting resumes to increase their chances of filling a position down the road.

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I hate these outside recruiters. Sigh.

Before you call, check the ad and look carefully at every keyword in the ad, and then check your resume to see if you've incorporated every single one of the keywords. Way too often they're looking for a word-for-word perfect match with zilch understanding of what many of the words mean.

I knew someone initially not offered an interview because he listed expertise with Oracle Database Software on Sun servers-- he'd actually worked in Oracle's consulting division. The screener didn't pass him on because his resume didn't mention Solaris -- the operating system used on Sun servers. Luckily he called back, and sure enough, the person screening resumes had no idea that using Sun servers -- at least in the past decade or more -- rather intrinsically implied that you were working under Solaris.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

If you have a sense of which companies it might be, you can also check their websites to see if they have an ad posted. Even try googling any phrases that sound specific. I have figured out several blind opportunities that way.

9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

YES... google a word string from the ad within quotes, then type the city you're looking in. It's amazing how often the company site pops up!

10. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

A lot of web-based job posting sites has a function where the recruiter can request that the job be automatically renewed each month. It's possible that the job re-appeared for that reason. I use that function all the time until the position is filled. It doesn't mean you've been passed over.

11. mkats

mkats New Member

Well, that was a bust.

I went ahead and called the number listed for the recruiter and got voicemail - of someone else, so I called the main recruiting company and asked to speak with the recruiter listed. They told me that she no longer works here :confused: I explained that I was calling with regards to job listing so and so and that she was listed as the person of contact, and the receptionist put me through to someone else's voicemail - I couldn't even catch the name. I left a voicemail for that person explaining my situation and stating that I wanted to check on the status of my application and reiterate my interest in the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if they never call/email me back.

I thought about resubmitting my application, but the email listed is still that of the recruiter who no longer works there. Should I still go ahead and do it?

(Oops, forgot to mention - it's not a company, it's a medical private practice. They were vague enough to let you know what specialty it's in, but there are too many in this region to narrow it down)

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Patience, little grasshopper. If it sounds like a complex job, it's in a larger practice or is in a satellite office of a hospital. Now's the time to milk your network. You know the specialty, so search all your LinkedIn and other contacts to see if you have someone who might get you on the trail.

This may not be your cup of tea, but I'm brazen enough to cold call the most likely employers. Ask to speak to the office manager, then ask about the posted job. You'll either get "we don't have a posting" or "ummmmm, followed by a long pause, followed by instructions to call the recruiting firm" If you do get a hit, you can research that particular practice and get some specifics so that you can follow up with the unnamed recruiter again. Meanwhile, send a cover letter and resume directly to the practice - office manager or medical director depending on the job. Indicate what a great fit you are, that you are trying to work with their recruiter, but the person assigned has left the firm (true) and you want to make sure your qualifications actually got to the practice.

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's a great idea - what's the worst that can happen? At best you hit pay dirt, at worst you might open up a few additional opportunities. And wouldn't the practice like to know that their recruiting firm is putting out ads with invalid contacts?

Many years ago when hubby was just out of college, he made a list of about 8 firms he wanted to work at. He put on a suit, stashed a bunch of resumes in a briefcase, and walked into every one of them, asking to see the boss (who's name he already had). He managed to speak directly to about half of them, got call backs from two in the next few days, and then an offer from the one he ended up working with for about five years.

I've never known anyone to do that before or since - and trust me this is not the kind of thing hubby normally does - but it worked!

14. mkats

mkats New Member

Excellent, after much online stalking I think I just found it :) Problem is they have two offices listed in the same area, but I'll just check in with both. I wish it wasn't Friday after hours, but I guess Monday morning would be a better time to call anyway. (You're right...I do need to learn some patience. The whole job hunting process is proving to be immensely frustrating, but I'm working on it!)

Jenny - that's an excellent idea as well - and depending on how desperate I get, I might go ahead and try it on the clinics in this area (especially the ones that took care of my skating injuries over the years... :lol:). If I were to visit private practices, I should ask to see the office manager, right?

A huge thanks to you both and everyone else who's responded - I really appreciate it.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  15. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Nice -- I hope it works out for you -- and good luck with something else even if it does not.

16. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Follow-up--Follow-up! The very first rule of job hunting...but don't be a pest.

Job hunting is a fulltime job and I wish you all the best!

17. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Absolutely a full time job - and one of the hardest you will ever have in my experience. I even found it hard when I was applying to fulfill my Employment Insurance requirements and didn't particularily want to get a job :p

One of my favourite stories about the potential of following up was when my sister did just that. After she applied for a job in her field she was out of town for a several days and had no messages from the company. She really thought she was a good fit so she called them just to be sure she hadn't missed a call from them and was told that she hadn't made their short list for interviews. She told them she was sorry to hear that since she would have been a good candidate and thanked them for their time.

Half an hour later she got a call back. After her call they had reviewed her application and though they stood by their initial feeling that she was not the candidate they were seeking, if she wanted to come in for an interview under that understanding they were willing to give her the time.

So of course we know what happens - aced the interview and moments after arriving back home she got the call that the job was hers.

OMG - first thing I thought of when reading #2 was - I wonder how many times the current employee unknowingly applies for their own job? :eek:
    Chances are if the company is that unhappy with an employee it goes both ways and the employee will be out there looking in their field already.

Good luck to all the job hunters out there. One of the hardest things is not to let it get you down. Remember to network as much as you can - human nature being what it is many people will show a preference for someone they know or know of - even if it is the friend of an acquaintance or a more tenuous connection.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

In 2000, I worked for a company that actually searched Monster every Monday for newly posted resumes of its employees. Anyone with a fresh resume who was between client assignments got canned. It backfired on them, though, as many of us found better jobs AND collected severance. If they just let it go, we would have walked with no $$$.

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How ridiculous! Instead of firing everyone they should have taken a look at themselves and asked why everyone wants to quit!

20. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Very ridiculous - in today's job climate it is very wise to keep feelers out there in the job market at all times - it's just too much work for me.

21. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

22. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Thanks for this article. I, too, am an underemployed job seeker. That's a long story in itself, and I am sure I will be posting with lots of questions.

But, one thing that I have discovered in my job search is how small my network is. I am working to try to build it, but it's frustrating, especially with the knowledge that most job seekers are successful because of who they know, not necessarily the skills/experience that they have.

Someone has suggested that I try to do some informational interviews, especially since I am trying to change careers. I would be interested in getting your opinions about that (how successful can they really be, how to get in touch with someone to get them set up, etc.).

Thanks for all of the good advice that's been given so far....keep it coming!!!:D

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think it's an excellent way to enlarge your circle - and it's a good way to test your resume and your pitch, and stay sharp for when it's an interview for something you really want.

Over the years I've interviewed many people who weren't right for the job I had to offer, but if I liked them, I'd give them names of colleagues in other companies, and ideas of where else they might look. I also met with a lot of people as favours to others, and again if they had promise and I liked them, I did what I could to help them.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That's actually a great intro - you could have a word with the doctor or other practitioner who treated you, tell them you were impressed with the facility, and ask if there are any opportunities and who you should speak to. It's always better to say "Dr Smith said I should speak with you" than to ask cold.

As for who to ask for, I don't know enough about how these places work, but I can tell you this: ALWAYS be nice to the receptionists/assistants and treat them with respect. They can be the difference between getting in or not, often have the ear of their bosses, and can be your go to person in the follow up stages, not to mention your first friend when you start your new job.

25. mkats

mkats New Member

I called this morning and they told me it had already been filled and they were no longer hiring. I feel like I should've taken that opportunity to insert something about how I would have been a perfect candidate, but all I could think of was to say "oh, that's too bad..." which they immediately followed up with "mhm, thanks and goodbye". :(

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  26. FiveRinger

I have a question about a position that I want to apply for.....

I found a position that sounds really good to me. In fact, I was able to get the name of the recruiting manager and the hiring manager for this position and email information. A friend of a friend referred me and has been gracious in allowing me to use him as a reference.

Don't ask me why, but now I'm scared to apply for the position. I've been looking for so long and have bumped into so many walls that I'm scared to try to climb through what might be an open window. How to I write the letter to the recruiter and hiring manager and get a response? What things should I be including in this letter to make someone stand up and take notice? And, if it turns out that I am not right for this position, how do I make a good enough impression so that I am considered for other openings? How do I approach this without sounding as desperate as I am beginning to feel about my employment status? How do I do my follow up telephone calls without being a pest?

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

27. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Dear God - take a breath! Or have a stiff drink :)

Is your friend an employee of the company that you are applying to? If not, would the recruiting manager know who your friend is? It may be worth indicating right off the top that "so-and-so" directed me to contact you and spoke very highly of (insert name of the company). The personal touch often helps set you apart. Assuming of course that the person doing the referring is well thought of.

Any cover letter should briefly outline how your skills match specific elements of the job posting. But don't make it too long. Pick 3 things from the posting that you have ample skills to do based on previous experience.

As for desperation - never let them see you sweat. Indicate that you have been actively seeking a job but focusing your search with those Companies that have an excellent reputation and one that you want to devote yourself to. Do some research about the Company and be prepared to note one or two things about it (in your cover letter as well as the interview) that sets it apart for you - besides having a job that will give you a paycheck.

I wouldn't mention that you'd be open to other jobs. If there is another open position that is a good fit for you, they'll know it. Or go to their website and check their career page to see if there is another position that is a better fit for your skill set.

There are tons of resources on the internet that will help you prepare for an interview. Take a look at a few to get tips to help you feel more confident in the interview.

The best piece of advice I can give is that you need to treat finding a job AS your full time job. Every day you should be working on it. Like any job, it can be tedious and frustrating. But stay focused on the GOAL and take the emotion out of it.

28. fan

fan Well-Known Member

i have a slightly different question. how do you go about negotiating salary once you're given a promotion? There are salary bands at my company. i'd like to be at the bottom of the next band, rather than the top of the current one. thanks!

29. FiveRinger

Thanks for the info, Bostonfan. I know that I sounded like a complete nut rambling on, so let me see if I can give some more detailed info and hopefully you won't think that I already had that drink.

My friend at the temporary position where I was originally hired as a supervisor referred me to another permanent supervisor position at a major pharmaceutical company in my home town. I am no longer a supervisor because my department was eliminated so all management was demoted in order to stay employed. Her boyfriend is in management in the department where there is an opening. He was very nice in saying that I can use him as a reference in any paperwork/resumes that I submit.

I have been out of permanent full-time work for almost 2 years. I did finish my degree and my PHR certification (will sit for exam this fall) and have been working off and on. But I am ready for the next step. Graduating was supposed to make my job search a little easier, not harder.

That's a little background. I am typing on my Blackberry so forgive the typos. And again, thank you for the input. I will be sending my resume off this evening. Wish me luck!

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Good luck FiveRinger! But remember no matter how hard you try, there is nothing you can do to guarantee you'll get a particular job. So if you don't get it for some reason, don't feel you must have done something wrong or that somehow you're not worthy.

Bostonfan's advice was good. Try to make sure that all your communications with the company are clear and concise. People aren't going to read through a lot of stuff so try to get your most important points across quickly and clearly. Knowing the specifics about the company is very important and try to think of ways that your experience or traits will fit in well with this company and the job.

Don't worry about other possible jobs at the company unless and until you're sure you don't get this one. If you don't, you can always write a thank you note to the interviewer thanking them for the opportunity to have been considered for the job, reminding them how interested you are with the company and asking to be considered for any future opening for which you'd be qualified.

While it is important to follow up with thank yous, it's hard to remember that the company is on their own time schedule and not yours and may not get back to you as quickly as you'd like, or as quickly as they indicate they will.