Gay couple sues United Airlines

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skateboy, Aug 30, 2012.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

2. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

I hate airlines, the are always declaring a lot, which doesn't exist in reality. I hope American laws are more advanced and the guys will win. In Russia a case like this is lost.

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Leave the sex toy at home the next time. Help the local economy instead and buy locally grown cucumbers instead.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree that what was done was terrible and humiliating. But, how would the luggage handler know the owner of the bag was gay? Not sure they can prove sex discrimination. Unless the toy was specific, in some way?

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl:

6. inskate

inskate Active Member

Well, if the toy in question happened to be a dildo/vibrator/etc., it could raise the suspicions of a luggage handler with no imagination (especially if he/she was on a hunt for lesser gays).
    In any case, whoever did it was an idiot. It was a horrible thing to do, regardless of the sexual orientation of the toy owner.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

barbk and (deleted member) like this.
  7. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

That was my point, it was a lousy thing to do. But, they are claiming that it was done because they are gay. That, may or may not be true. Even if it was a dildo/vibrator, in a man's bag, it could still be for a woman to use. I think the jerk was a scumbag, regardless.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's hard to know without first knowing what kind of sex toy it was...Either way, I do think there's a case here.

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Too bad this is going to court in Texas. May as well be Russia.

10. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

They said they thought they were targeted because they're gay but did not say that was the basis of their suit.

11. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Why was it covered in a "greasy foul-smelling substance" ? Did the baggage handler use it? :scream:

12. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I doubt the people in the back screening luggage had any idea who it belonged to. They probably just are prudish and decided to punish whomever for daring to enjoy sex!

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

It will hard to prove that the airline handlers/inspectors knew the bag belonged to a gay male. That's going to be hard to prove. You can pack adult toys in your luggage but you need to remove the batteries or pack a sex toy in your carry on. Either disclose it to the tsa inspector or ask to be moved to a private room for inspection.

Maybe it's time for them to buy sex toy bags.
    http://www.holisticwisdom.com/sex-toy-storage.htm

5 Tips for Traveling with sex toys
    Travel Tips for Tips for Traveling With Adult Toys

14. milanessa

I doubt they'll try - the act was egregious enough regardless of the traveler's orientation.

15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of facts missing from this story. They never specified in the story how the airline concluded the baggage belonged to a gay couple simply by having a sex toy. It may have got switched on :rollin: pre flight. They are embarrassing themselves far more with the story and lawsuit then they ever did at the airport.

16. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I don't think their orientation will be the key here. Having something private from one's packed luggage vandalized and taped to the outside of one's luggage is beyond inexcusable. I really don't understand why the airline wouldn't fire whoever did that. Personally I think this makes the airline look bad--not the couple protesting their treatment.

17. milanessa

I disagree. The fact they are gay and speculated that they were targeted for that has nothing to do with what was done. If I was traveling with my husband and this happened to us I'd think about suing, too. Again, I doubt their lawsuit will address their orientation. They were unnecessarily humiliated as people and that should be addressed.

18. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Agree with your first 2 sentences, but important to note:

1) Who did the vandalizing/taping, and where?

a) If they were flying back from Mexico, then did they go through customs at some point (in Mexico, or at the first US connection point) before getting their luggage at their final destination in the US? If so, then at what point was the vandalism/taping first visible? At customs, or at the final destination?

b) Therefore, was the vandalism/taping the result of i) customs/TSA/outsourced airport workers unaffiliated with the airline (most likely), or of ii) airline employees who specifically singled them out and their luggage?

2) Unless there were other items in the baggage that clearly identified the two travelers as being gay, then how would the people in 1) b) i) know that they were gay, assuming that workers inspected the baggage without having seen the travelers themselves? If really 1) b) ii) is the situation, then that would be more supportive of the passengers' case.

19. milanessa

20. julieann

If that were true, then gay would have never appeared in the story. He states in the story he was was targeted by airline for being gay for I'm sure it will take center stage at trial.

I don't know what else he had in his luggage that would have made the airline worker assume he was gay. It seems like a stretch. I don't know what the protocol is in regards to sex toys, toothbrushes that are turned on are in open luggage are put in zip lock bags and attached to the outside with a letter and left at customer service. Sex toys should be handled differently. It can't be the first one he found. Comp them free seats and move on.

21. milanessa

Once again - that does not mean that that will be the basis of the suit. They said they thought they were targeted because they were gay not that that's why they're suing.

22. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I agree with you, milanessa. However, the reaction to their story is why I rarely point out any discrimination I feel like I have gotten in my life. People just don't want to hear that there is discrimination and they will latch onto that aspect and ignore the merits of your actual complaint.

23. VIETgrlTerifa

I think the discrimination is just for the PR of the story. The actual argument the attorney will use will probably leave it out and just focus on the actual vandalism and whether United Continental was liable and therefore should pay damages.

The crux of the case relies on whether United Continental is liable/responsible for luggage handling in a series of scenarios (such as lost luggage, damage to luggage, etc.).

I also have to laugh at the poster who suggested that the people who got their luggage vandalize should just accept whatever measly compensation the poster themselves offered (two free seats for the next flight). For one thing, we don't know what United Continental offered, and another thing is that why should the passengers graciously accept that when real damage and vandalism was done?

24. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

If they were offered two discounted/free tickets, it would mean they would have to fly that airline again. After this incident, I could why they wouldn't want to do that.

25. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

If 1) b) i) is the case, then it really isn't the airline's fault to begin with.

26. VIETgrlTerifa

Unless airlines assume responsibility for their customers' luggage no matter who handles it in-transit since airline customers only go through the airline to check-in and pick-up their baggage. It's not as if airline passengers go through third parties throughout every stop.

27. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I'd imagine most workers would assume that the presence of men's clothing, male name on luggage tags, men's toiletries, etc. + dildo = gay male.

28. julieann

So now a wife can't even ask her husband to put a simple dildo in his luggage for her anymore because hers is too full without him being called gay? Great! :rofl:

Besides, the story said "unspecified sex toy" everyone is guessing as to what it was.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that's not a vibrator, that's a neck massager

30. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Wow, that's some major shopping or poor folding if someone can't even fit a dildo into a packed piece of luggage :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure that most men who know that baggage screeners and TSA agents have the authority to open luggage and search the contents would be hesitant to carry a sex toy that isn't theirs in their luggage.

TSA: "Sir, we encountered this object in your luggage."
    Man: "Oh that's not mine."
    TSA: "Then what is it doing there?"
    Man: "My spouse/partner asked me to carry it. I swear, it isn't mine!"