Gas Dryer - Experience?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ballettmaus, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I'm in a vacation home and have encountered my first gas-operated dryer. The owner of the home told me to clean out the lint each time or the dryer was likely to catch fire. I'm cleaning out the lint each time after drying anyway but the words "catching fire" scared the hell out of me. (Fire's probably my biggest fear)
    So, does anyone have experience with these kind of dryers? Are they generally safe to use or do they really catch fire rather easily?

Thanks!

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

We've had gas dryers for the 37 years we have lived in this house. And for 3 years before in another house. My parents have always had gas dryers. Never had a problem. Keep the lint cleaner cleaned out.

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i always clean out the lint. i've never had a problem.

4. ballettmaus

Okay, thanks. That reassures me! I'll give it a go tomorrow. :)

5. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I used to route technicians who repaired gas appliances. Clean the filter? Yes But unless there is something actually wrong with the unit it should not catch fire just because you didn't clean the filter after each and every cycle.

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

But as a method of getting you to clean the filter (or not put wear and tear on the dryer) it worked pretty well, didn't it? :)

7. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Any dryer will work much more effectively if you clean the lint after each use. Keep in mind that gas dryers will usually get clothes dryer more quickly and efficiently (lower cost per use) than electric. You may not want to set the temperature as high or leave the clothes in for as long as you're used to with an electric dryer.

Thin material, e.g., summer bed sheets, left in the dryer for too long at too high of a temperature poses a risk for fire in both electric and gas dryers. The danger with gas is that a fire could result in an explosion. I was raised with - and have always abided by - the notion that you never, ever leave a running dryer unattended.

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

9. ballettmaus

I appreciate all the replies, thank you!

Yes, I was told but thanks :)