Gary Beacom to Compete at ISU Adult Event in Germany May 25-31

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by overedge, May 16, 2014.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

He will be unpredictable and very entertaining.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

4. Aussie Willy

Thanks for the link to the results. There were quite a few Aussies competing so have reposted the link to some of our local facebook pages.

5. overedge

It's nice to see that the rest of his group got quite decent scores as well.

6. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Can't wait to (hopefully) see a video of his winning performance!

7. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  8. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

9. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Quick question--I scanned the results lists for the Masters divisions in the Oberstdorf adult competition. I don't think I saw the names of the masters' junior/senior champions from Adult Nationals: Jaclyn Yacomes and Zachariah Szabo. Wouldn't they have qualified for the Oberstdorf event by winning Adult Nationals?

10. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I don't think there is qualifying for Obsterdorf. You just sign up, and you have to pay.
    It's possible the adult nationals champions couldn't afford an overseas trip.

11. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.

12. overedge

There are no qualifying events for Oberstdorf because it's an open event, not a championship. Despite some of the people who win gold there and then promote themselves as "adult world champion" :rolleyes:

13. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Does it strike a nerve when people do this? ;)

I've only ever heard the competition referred to as "adult worlds" regardless whether it is a true championship in the ISU sense.

14. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

The majority of the skaters who compete there regularly just call it "Obi".

15. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've heard people call it "Adult Worlds", but I kinda take that like "ISI Worlds". My problem is when I see people with a resume that says "World Champion" and then no further clarification. But this is the same coach who has 7-time national champion (or whatever number) on his resume. Adult Nationals, and not even Senior at that...

However, I know there are parents who are fooled.

16. Sylvia

17. overedge

I've heard it called "adult worlds" but always in the sense that it's the ISU competition for adults from all over the world.

And I too know adults who list themselves as 'world champion' or 'world medalist' without specifying that it's at the ISU adult event, which I think is a little misleading. IME skaters who win a competition like ISU junior worlds usually list themselves as "junior world champion" or "world champion, juniors", so I think there's precedent for including the modifying details if it's not the ISU (senior) world championships.

18. Aussie Willy

19. Sylvia

20. overedge

I'm glad the event is getting some attention, and I really like Beacom's attitude toward being in the event - but I have to say I'm a little annoyed that the article seems to characterize the event as just starting to be important now that ex-international competitors are participating. The event has been going for 10 years, has a great reputation, and is the product of a huge amount of work and commitment by a lot of skaters who never got anywhere near an international senior event.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Aussie Willy

It is all about baby steps. It is natural that any time someone who has had a high level international career is going to be a promotion for the event and opens up the interest to others, including those who are just fans. I wouldn't be upset about it but rather glad that the event has reached such a standard it is attracting high level skaters now. Maybe there will be more in future who will decide to join the ranks too.

22. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Accept no substitutes

Perhaps Plushenko should consider competing. ;)

23. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Hehe.. or Suguri.

24. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Belatedly: Loved it AND the audience reaction. There is nothing like an informed audience!

25. Diane Mars

Diane Mars Active Member

Wasn't Midori Ito the 1st world class athlete to compete in Obi ? I remember that I read a lot of posts about that topic, some posters thinking that it was a great thing, some others that it wasn't "normal"...

26. Aussie Willy

I think there have been quite a few ex-world championship skaters to compete at Obi. However think Ito probably has had the highest profile of them.

27. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

In one of the first couple years of the competition, one of the skaters in the oldest Silver ladies event was a high-level German coach and had competed at the Olympics in her youth. Apparently her maiden name was quite well-known in Europe but she was competing under her married name. There was quite a kerfluffle when the story came out because, while jumps were not her strong suit anymore, her basic skating, footwork and spins were far above the the rest of the field.

28. overedge

There have been a number of people in the Obertsdorf competition who previously competed at worlds or Olympics, but I think Midori was the first worlds and/or Olympics medalist to participate.