Game of Thrones: Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AshleyN, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

But you gotta be a subscriber (or no someone who is :p) to access it

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Just reordered HBO last night. Can't wait for this season!!! :watch:

3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I *know*!! There's a picture of her from the Red Carpet Premiere the other night where, thanks to the angle of the picture, she could be Sarah Bolger's (Princess Mary Tudor from The Tudors) identical twin!!! I literally did this huge double take when I saw the thing because I could not believe my eyes!!

Speaking of lookalikes...In certain clips and pictures...I'm seeing Joannie Rochette when I look at Sophie. Now, maybe I'm seeing things, but there it is. :)

4. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

There's a reason Game of Thrones is the most pirated show on TV :saint:

5. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

They definitely made a step forward when HBO allowed the channels in other countries to start broadcasting the series just 10 days after the original air date.

Still, with such a popular series I will not be able to wait 10 days. :p Internet has everything now, you don't even need to download it :p

6. Verbalgirl77

Verbalgirl77 is silently judging you

I just finished re-reading A Storm of Swords, so I am ready for this!

7. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

8. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I thought I read that HBO actually had a non-cable-subscriber online option for Nordic countries? If so Sofia may be in luck (assuming my memory's even correct and she's in Sweden).

Can't wait myself, and ITA someone needs to skate to the opening theme. Not having read the books yet I'm completely unspoiled as to what should happen...just please please keep Tyrion alive. :drama:

10. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Bump since it's back tonight!!

Of course, I'll have to avoid this for a bit...no HBO :(

11. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Well look at that, HBO Nordic. It's a bit costly though, 129 SEK for one month, or 79 SEK/month if you sign up for 12 months. 79 SEK/month is the same as Netflix, but with Netflix you can cancel the subscription at any time, which is a very good thing when you're a soon to be done student with an uncertain financial future. :shuffle:

HBO Go is blocked, despite the unblocker, but there looks like there might be viewable stuff on the regular HBO GoT site? Will look there tomorrow, otherwise I'll just go a-googling till I find the episode. Unblocker + adblocker = a great combo when entering the murkier parts of the internet. :p Also, I've read the books, so it's not like there are any major spoilers to avoid (unless they go changing the story too much, but I don't think they will).

Bring on the dragons!

12. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Just signed up for HBO! Happy Easter to me :cheer2:

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Good move! I watched the first episode on demand since it was still part of my cable's company free week, but will end up getting HBO next week. Series is just too good to miss! Ciaran Hinds as Mance Raider was a good casting call. I was a little unsure about him pulling off a wildling, but man's convincing in anything and this was no exception.

Also, since Selmy already came clean as a former Kingsguard when he joined Dany, does this mean there will be no Strong Belwas in the tv series?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  14. AragornElessar

Not sure how it works in here, so just in case, I'll invoke the Spoiler Code...

A few things....

Tywin and Cersei....You've both made a very big mistake in your treatment of Tyrion. Especially since he really and truly was the one who saved the city until Tywin showed up in the nick of time. He was the one who acted like a true son of Lannister that day and he's right. Jaime is Kingsguard, so he is the true heir to Casterly Rock and he roved it too during the Battle of Blackwater. However, Tywin can't see past what Tyrion is or see just who his son is.

To quote from Pretty Woman... "BIG Mistake. BIG. Huge!!!"

Anyone else think there were more cutlery out for use during the Royal Family's Supper than what was out on the table? Ohhhh....Watching Margary watch wits w/Cersei is going to be *fun*!!!

Loved the scene in the Orphanage and how Margary acted. Especially walking through what had been just thrown out of that bucket and her merely saying..."Oh, I have others." when her Handmaiden wanted to stop her from ruining the dress. Oh Natalie Dormer, I have missed seeing you and your excellence on my screen every week. So glad she's joined the GoT cast.

Learned a new way to cook fish tonight, didn't we? :D Take one dragon, have it go into a dive into the ocean, grab a fish and then there you go!! BBQ Fish Fry Dragon Style!!

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. :) Regardless, that was a very cool scene and the Dragons have indeed grown.

Now here's the real question....Can Ser Barristan be truly trusted? We'll see, won't we?

Oh yes and Jon....Oh Jon, smart thinking on your part bringing up what you saw at Craster's as the reason why you wanted to join the Wildlings. Although, Mance has his number too. Jon really does want to be a hero, he's got that much right about Lord Snow.

ITA about Ciaran Hinds as Mance. Wonderful casting. Just as Charles Dance as Tywin. I may hate his character, but I adore the actor.

Only other things I can think of....The opening and seeing Winterfell as a smouldering ruin...:(

I think that's everything.

For now. :D

edited to add ~According to Winter Is Coming, Westeros.net and the GoT boards at TWoP and IMDB have all crashed. WiC and Twitter are still up last I checked, but that could change as more see the episode... :D

15. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The show has aired. Twice + another 30 minutes. Do we really have to spoiler things?

My quibbles - don't make a big deal about Davos missing fingers that Stannis cut off and then show him with all 10 digits wiggling about.

Dany meeting the unsullied and Missandre was just a beautiful scene. Hey Ser Baristan. Missed you. Glad you didn't miss the manticore. Where'd you hide Strong Belwas though?

Robb - I hate you and I hate your bride. Stop tossing your mom in a cell, she wanted to go back to Winterfell ages ago, but you told her no. Oh look Qyburn.

Margery is quite a smart little vixen. Bringing in food, walking around flea bottom, giving away toys to orphans. She's Oprah.

Favorite scene, hands down, was Tyrion and Tywin. :kickass: from both actors.

16. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Man, that hour flew by. You know it was a good episode when I barely even noticed that my favourite character (Arya) was missing (not to mention Bran, or Jaime/Brienne).

<3<3<3 Margaery. I'm so glad that it looks like her role is going to be expanded this season. It'll be a blast to see Natalie Dormer and Lena Headey butting heads.

I found it kind of funny when I read a review from a book reader who claimed that
    the character has been changed a lot from the books. Personally I find that, other than her age, she matches up almost exactly with my interpretation of Margaery. It's more subtle (due to her not being a POV character) but I've always read her as being far more cunning than she lets on, a master of Public Relations, and a true student of her grandmother, which is exactly how she's coming across on the show for me.

The Winterfell ruins in the opening credit were a total gutpunch right off the bat.

The Tyrion/Tywin scene was probably the highlight of the episode for me. Tyrion/Cersei was pretty great too.

I thought Jon and Dany's storylines were two of the weaker parts of last season, but they both look much more promising this year, which is nice to see. Love the addition of Ciaran Hinds as Mance and it was nice to see Ser Barristan the Badass back.. My only problem there is that (Book Stuff)
    ever since I read the fifth book I've come to dislike Dany so much that it can't help but bleed over into the show a bit and I just myself rolling my eyes at half the things she says. This was probably exasperated last year by the fact that most of the Qarth stuff sucked, so hopefully I'll get over it this season.

17. AragornElessar

As I said dbell, I didn't know how things went in here compared to other TV threads around here, so played it safe out of courtesy for others. Now that I know what's what, I won't worry about that again.

Just remembered....I love Bronn and that scene between him and Cersei's Queensguard at Tyrion's door had me grinning first at his antics and then hoping to see him unleash some true Kick @ss on those pompous idiots. Good to see him still around and the banter between him and Tyrion always has me smiling.

Was anyone else shocked at how changed Stannis is? That is *not* the same man that went charging into the Battle of Blackwater and Davos should have listened to his Pirate friend on that one. Mel gives me even creepier chills in just that one scene than in anything from last year combined, which is saying a lot!!

Have to watch this again, because I *know* I missed some things, but Wow...What a start!!

18. vesperholly

OMG, I missed that! :wuzrobbed

I rewatched that scene, and his fingers are shortened on the right hand. Stannis only cut off the first joints, so they did it correctly.

Oh, and I noticed that TWoP forums crashed (they're very crashy lately and have been the subject of virus attacks), but I think that was probably The Walking Dead season finale that did it. The GoT threads were nearly empty when I checked.

19. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

If we're picking who we want to rule Westeros at the rnd, I'm Team Tyrion/Margaery. And the fact that
    they got Diana Rigg to play Margaery's grandmother is all kinds of awesome
    . Also wondering if there are big plans for her. No way they got Natalie Dormer without plans for Margaery having an important part.

20. Sofia Alexandra

Love the way they set the stage in this ep. Daenerys in Astaphor, Jon with the wildlings, and all the different levels of intrigue in King's Landing.
    And a great big HELL YEAH to Margaery's grandmother showing up later! She's completely awesome in the books, I can't wait to see her on screen! :watch:

21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

It comes from me never knowing how to spoiler things correctly. :lol: But, I think we established that in other threads. Once it's been aired on the east coast, westies beware!

Vesper - thanks for checking the fingers on Davos. I guess I'm still annoyed that Tyrion only walked away with a scar for his battle scenes (and still has a nose). I'll get over it.

22. Sofia Alexandra

It'd take a lot more time (and therefore money) to make it look like he doesn't have a nose, whether you do it with make-up or CGI, so I guess its just as well that they spend that on other things. Like dragons, which we'll (probably?) be seeing a lot more of in this season. :)

23. Sofia Alexandra

Argh! Sorry for the double post but this article just showed up on my Facebook feed, and I nearly had an aneurysm before I remembered what day it is. :shuffle: :lol:

dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

He'll have Voldemort's nose! (the HP CGI drove me nuts)...

Thanks for the link, posted it on my FB to give a few friends some spasms... However that 'took an indefinate break from writing 'Winds of Winter' to watch movies' is how I sort of feel about Martin these days. :shuffle:

25. vesperholly

I did like how they gave a nod to the book readers when Cersei said, "I heard your nose got cut off, but it's not as bad as all that."

26. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the episode last night.

Jon Snow and his naiveness really irritate at times.

Loved seeing Daenerys' and her babies.

Tyrion is always a treat I'm not sure why he asked for a meeting with Papa Lannister. I'm hoping Tyrion has something up his sleeve but I can't not understand why he thought his father would give a damn all of a sudden.

I'm happy Robb is treating his mom as is. She's irritated me from the "Get Go". She's the one because of carelessness and impulsive nature started this whole ball rolling. If she wanted her daughters safe than she should have planned her attack at the Lannisters better.

Stannis' former general(what's his name) was saved by the pirates and then stupid goes back to be killed. WTH?

27. AshleyN

Last night's episode set a new ratings high.

I'm not really surprised given how insane the buzz has been leading up to the premiere, but as the article points out it's still impressive given that it aired a)on a holiday weekend and b)opposite The Walking Dead season finale (which set a ratings high of its own, and I would imagine shares a solid chunk of its audience with GoT). I'll be surprised if they don't top themselves a couple more times before the season is over.

28. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

I wonder how I'll be feeling by the end of this season, but I really wish that Geoffrey (or whatever his name is spelt like) Baratheon (or rather Lannister) falls off the highest rock in Westeros, preferably, The Wall.

On the other hand I think I am falling in love with Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons, and now they are grown up, yay! :) That little Lannister guy is also quite good to me. (Sorry, but Game of Thrones is the only series where I have total problems with names, I remember at most 7 to 10 names :( )

29. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I am hoping this is a Breakout role for Natalie Dormer. 4 years after the Tudors and aside from GOT, her only other notable roles have been a brief appearance as the Queen Mother in Madonna's godawful Edward and Wallis movie and kissing Chris Evans in Captain America

30. AshleyN