Gachinski `I haven't spoken to Mishin since'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Aug 5, 2014.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Interview with Arthur Gachinski for rsport.ru by Maria Vorobiova `I havent' spoken to Mishin since'

Gachinski spent most of his career with Mishin in St. Petersburg. It was with Mishin he won the bronze in worlds 2011 and became 2nd in Europeans 2012. However, his results went down, his skating became worse and once massive quad toeloop became a rare element. December last year the skater decided to make serious changes. He moved back to Moscow and continued skating in Tarasova's group.

MV: You've been skating for about half a year in Moscow now and you seem to be satisfied with the work you've done so far?
    AG: I'm satisfied with everything - we did a massive work here in TSKA and in the training camps. The process is on and most importantly, am injuries free and can train.

MV: As far as I remember Tarasova insisted you take care of your back injury first.
    AG: Right. When she learned about my back problems we went to all the needed doctors till it was solved. Now am good, the back doesn't hurt so the work is fruitful - I never worked so hard before. I'm thrilled with the changes. I like being in Moscow, the practices are in a different mood, I feel there are positive changes. Nothing to complain about.

MV: I.e. when you became the worlds bronze medalist you were not that happy?
    AG: Oh, I was, but it was a different type of happiness. It's being happy with the results, understanding that your work payed out. It was a long journey. Now I'm just glad I was able to break the loop and starting a new journey towards the new results.

MV: You realize the journey might turn out to be long again? You said you will have to go back to 1 quad in your LP...
    AG: I do. I understood it from the beginning. Tatiana Anatolievna said I will only start jumping in a couple of months. First I had to change my skating style - I was working more on the steps, the skating skills, the arms. I was rediscovering figure skating - my skating was very powerful in the past, now it's more technical. That is what the sport demands- to be control the edge much better than we had a couple of years ago. As for the plans - they changed, there will be two quads in the LP. Though indeed the innicial plan was for just one, but since I cope with two quads with a good timing we added it. We are also considering another quad.

MV: Have you tried?
    AG: I landed a 4loop in the practices. It's not yet very consistent, but it's something to look forward. Right now we are working on two 4T, but keeping the 4loop in mind.

MV: In order to integrate a new quad in the programme you have to land it about 4 times out of 5?
    AG: Nah, just once from the first attempt and in the right moment is enough. I'm kidding. No, you're right, to be confident I have to land at least 4 out of 5. Even better if it happens from the 1st attempt rather than 2nd.

MV: Have you realized when your St. Petersburg time came to an end? You made a decision last year after the nationals, but surely you thought about it earlier?
    AG: I first realized about a year ago when my results were sliding down and I just couldn't bring myself to fight in the competition. I didn't go into the details - I wasn't looking for bad boots, wrongly sharpened edges or anything of the kind. I was searching for the problems in me and came to a conclusion I have to make radical changes in order to show some results. I had nothing to lose - I fell so low there was no way lower. Then I decided to make changes.

MV: The viewers saw the competitions didn't work for you, but what happened i the practices?
    AG: If I were to compare the practices then and now it's the earth and the sky. I don't just come here to skate, but to give a 150% of me. I kill myself in the practices so I can rise from the dust later. I used to come to the practices and work hard, but it just didn't happen. Something went wrong at some point and I was just balancing on the edge and then lost the balance.

MV: I.e. you were not given enough to do?
    AG: I don't know. I never tried comparing. I just wanted to forget everything, start a new training diary and not look into the old one, not make things easier for myself. Work here is 2.5 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours in the evening.

MV: Was it less in St. Petersburg?
    AG: A bit. I think it was always the case -we never really overworked there...

MV: So how come you were successfull?
    AG: I ask the same question. I have no idea how did we train less and achieve so much.

MV: Mishin's mystery?
    AG: A mystery. I still don't know the answer.

MV: What was it that you were not in a good enough shape to finish the LP?
    AG: Every athlete goes through it. In order to keep working and go through more pressure you have to suffer at a certain moment. It's painful. It's hard to tell yourself `you can do it' when your body is done. I was unable to finish the LP because I was not in a good physical shape. In order to be in that shape you have to build it every practice. You have to suffer to do that. You must want it really badly to suffer that. Something went wrong in that chain for me. Like a nuclear reaction. Now I can overcome myself even in the moments when it becomes really hard. There were practices when I would do some run throughs with no jumps, would land some jumps and my feet gave away - I would hold the border and almost fall. But I kept telling myself `Do it! You are here to overcome!' and convinced myself. I think it's thanks to those 2.5 hours a morning and 2.5 hours an evening.

MV: About your leaving Mishin you said you used to trust him endlessly, but once you grew up you had ideas of your own. Would it happen with Tarasova?
    AG: No. You can't contradict her. But then you don't really want to. I trust her completely, if she tells me to do something I go and do it. It is how it used to be with Alexey Nikolaevich, but at some point that thread broke. Frankly, it's about me as well - now I overlooked my attitude to work, to my goals and take things differently. It's obvious when you are seeing the situation from above, but once you are part of it - you understand you have to work much harder than you thought.

MV: The deceiving feeling all will be easy which came wit those 3 worlds/europeans medals?
    AG: Yes. I had a huge will to go on, work harder and set higher goals. But at an instance the steps became a glide and I slided down.

MV: Mishin prepared you from the very young age to the public attention. Have you noticed all that around you when you were a kid?
    AG: Back then I didn't really understand all that. I came to realize when I was about 14 and I went to my first international competition. When I showed some results and started to receive salary for my competitions. That moment I knew it was not just sport, but my profession. I felt a public interest to myself as an athlete in the worlds 2011 in Moscow. I was the only participant from my country and people takled about me a lot. I was not just frightened, but also understood the responsibility. I knew what was my goal and I tried to reach it.

MV: Except for victories and medals are there any nice memories from your work in St. Petersburg?
    AG: Plenty! I remember some really cool practices, I remember landing my first quad, landing my first 3A on my 13th birthday. Alexey Nikolaevich and I achieved it together. It was in St. Petersburg I landed my 4loop, 4S and even a 4lz.

MV: You share the ice in TSKA with the national champion Kovtun. Does the competition help?
    AG: I think the competition is needed so you know what the others do and are not left behind, but it's not really needed otherwise. How come? Every athlete has to be able to motivate themselves and it must come from within, form the understanding why are you working. It's silly thinking that if there is a skater from your group who lands a quad it will make you so mad you'll look at him and land the quad yourself. I think it must be the inner competition. We are going alone on the ice in the competition. Not with the others.

MV: When you switched to Tarasova had you thought there will be less attention you'll get?
    AG: No. I was not thinking there won't be enough eyes, hands or words. I came here so I could WORK. I want to kill myself in every practice, I want to leave all of me on the ice. This was my mood when I went to Tatiana Anatol'evna.

MV: Had she agreed to accept you immediately?
    AG: I still remember the date and time I called Tarasova. I dialed her number on December 28th and asked to meet. She was leaving to Germany for the holidays, so we met on January 6th. I told her all that was in my mind and said I can't without figure skating.

MV: Elena Isinbaeva's coach Evgeni Trofimov always asks the athletes who come to him whether they settled things with their previous coach. As far as I know you never notified Mishin.
    AG: Right. I would be disqualified if I requested the switch officially. Besides, when I came back from the nationals I told my mother I would either retire altogether or make changes.

MV: Why haven't you told that Mishin?
    AG: Frankly? At that point I didn't want to be anywhere near the ice rink. I didn't want anything. But I dind't give up, I was willing to do something, just not go back there.

MV: The coach learned about your switch from someone else?
    AG: Right.

MV: Have you spoken to him at all after the switch
    AG: No

MV: You didn't come to the ice rink again?
    AG: Not even once. Understand it: I didn't want anything at that point...

MV: What will you do if you see him in a competition?
    AG: I certainly will not run away or hide. Am very grateful to Alexey Nikolaevich for all the work we've done, we had a lot of great times, ups and downs, just that our ways parted.

MV: Tell me a bit about your new programmes.
    AG: They are interesting.

MV: No, but seriously?
    AG: The SP is to `Cry me a river' with the vocals. Tatiana Anatol'evna chose it. The LP to Rakhmaninov and Paganini. Both programmes are very different from what I've done before.

MV: How do you feel skating to the vocals
    AG: Sometimes I get carried away and start singing.

MV: Does it take your attention off the elements?
    AG: So far it haven't happened. But yes, it is disturbing and we are training to learn how to switch off.

MV: Which competitions do you plan participating before the GP in the USA?
    AG: We plan Oberstdorf, Finlandia Trophy and Cup of Nice. Any competition that gives points, which I need right now.

MV: Do you want to compete?
    AG: You have no idea

MV: Are you afraid to get yourself into the same situation?
    AG: No. I lived through and know how to cope with certain situations, so I can overcome things.

MV: How? Share the secret.
    AG: As if. No, really, everyone and their way. You just have to stay strong, not give up, but set a goal and get there

2. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

Thank you so much TAHbKA. :)

I like his answers and honesty. and he seems so motivated. I'm glad for him. He was my fav. russian boy.

3. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I like this new attitude and hope it works for him. I'm also glad his back is feeling better. You could tell how much pain he was in last year at Skate America.

What does it mean when he says he would be "disqualified" if he told Mishin he wanted to leave St. Petersburg to train in Moscow?

4. elif

elif Active Member

Looks like all Mishin students (Plushenko, Tuktamisheva, Gachinski) have back injuries. I know his jumping technique is legendary but must be very hard for skater's body.

5. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I am glad Gachinski is finally being trained on skating skills and physical endurance, so the young man's career may be salvaged after all. When I saw him at Skate America last year, it was glaringly obvious that he had not had the minimum endurance necessary to skate a full free program with planned technical elements and his basic skating skills had been badly neglected for a long time. It was sad particularly because these deficiencies could have been fixed by little more than hard work. Talent is not a shortcut. It is a mystery to me why Mishin, a world-renowned and highly experienced coach, was so negligent in the training. From this interview one could tell that Gachinski is not unwilling to put in the effort and time.

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I really appreciate such an honest interview. But there is one thing that confuses me. On one side he is speaking about Mishin in very good/respectful terms, acknowledging Mishin's work, and on the other side he could not even show Mishin enough respect to meet him, explain that something is not working, thank him for his work and say goodbye. I understand that he may have felt really low at that time and could not make himself go back to the ice skating rink, but surely he could have phoned Mishin and ask him whether they could meet somewhere outside the rink environment. It wouldn't even have to be a long meeting. Ten minutes, thanking him for all he had done for him and goodbye. I think for a coach who brought someone from very low/beginner level up to a European/world medal it must be quite hurtful when then the person can't even meet with you, thank you and say goodbye. When you find out that he left from a third party...

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

How about a text or email?

Now that he's got everything he wants in a coach and training time to move on and never mention anything about it again! Don't want him to be a skater version of zhulin who never quit talking about I/k! be like "that period is over!!!" Blah blah blah

8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Can you imagine US interviewers grilling the skaters on specifics of whether and how they notified their coaches they were leaving? :rofl:

So true. :rofl:

9. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

You're right about that.

10. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I imagine it would mean he would have his funding cut, or be struck off from the Russian team. I suppose it's one of the methods the RFSF uses to control their skaters' careers.

I wonder if that's part of the disqualification threat?

At any rate, he and Mishin will certainly meet at competition, if not sooner, then at the first Grand Prix of the season, since both Gachinski and Tuktamysheva are assigned Skate America.

This interview had me :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed He's really grown up and matured. I hope so much that he comes back strong this season. He deserves it. And boy would Kovtun be in for a surprise!

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Very unlikely that he didn't speak to Mishin because he worried about having his funding cut. Firstly, he had Tarasova behind him, so it is very unlikely he have it cut. And secondly, Mishin learned about the switch anyway, so what's the point of not telling him personally? Why should that make a difference?

If I understand correctly, they are not allowed to swap coaches mid season, without the Federation's approval. But when he contacted Tarasova in December, it was just three months before the end of season (last competition - Worlds are in March, and by the end of May they usually have to report any changes because at the end of May the Federation meets and give approval to those changes). Saying that, there are exceptions anyway. When coach dumps student mid season, they usually contact Tarasova and she finds them another coach, so suddenly it is possible to make a change mid season.

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

The Russian men are becoming quite interesting now. I always liked Voronov and Gachinsky, now I have also soft feelings for Menshov for his fighting spirit and there is the youngster from juniors (Aidan Pitkeev). so the only one I am not that keen on is Kovtun...

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I am hoping and wishing that Artur ascends back to his glory days. He seems like such an honest, funny, likable guy. It broke my soul to see how much he struggled last season and to see all that talent be unrealized. I am happy to read that he feels he is in a happier mental state and a refreshing environment now in the new training camp. Hopefully, the positive changes that reinvigorate him in training will also reflect in competition. I wish him the best of luck and I am cheering hard for him, my favorite Russian man! GO GACHINSKI!!! :cheer2::swoon::encore:

14. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am with you. :)

15. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

I didn't care much about Voronov and Menshov tbh, but it's not like I disliked them. With Kovtun though I'm like you. There something I dislike in his skating.

16. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Am not quite sure, but think during the Olympic season the Russian skaters were not allowed to switch coaches and every switch had to go through the federation and demanded a special permit. Perhaps that

17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I think if Kovtun was not so hyped up (undeservedly), I may have remained neutral toward him, but because of the hype I started disliking him. It's not like he had won a big title. Voronov & Menshov are just OK, skatingwise, but I like the hearts they show. I am really interested in Pitkeev, and of course Gachinski.

18. analia

analia Member

Artur's Cry me a River is quite amazing. In fact I have always liked his programs. His short program 2012-13 was also one of my favorites of the quad. It has just become scary to watch him fall so much for the past two seasons. I don't think I have watched his Olympic season programs once...

Gachinski is a much better skater than Kovtun and the kind Tat can really get thrilled about.

19. misskarne

The hyping is only one point. People call Plushenko arrogant, but he's nothing compared to Kovtun. I can't think of any other skater who would think it was a good idea to refer to their home country skating fans as prostitutes!

The saddest thing is that all of Artur's programs had sooooooooo much potential! St Louis Blues is also my favourite SP of his. But The Demon - The Highwayman - the flamenco SP of this season - and Anna Karenina - were all outstanding choices and really great programs for him.

Hmmm, I was just rewatching Artur's performance of The Bolt from 2011 Worlds...and it seems a certain someone already was thrilled about him!

20. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

What is it that makes you think Gachinski has MUCH more talent as a skater than Kovtun? Is it the jumps - height, length, flow in and out - is it the spins - positions, rotation speed, centering -, is he a better footwork skater than Kovtun, does he have superior basics, more speed, flow and effortless glide over the ice as well as better edge control? Does he have a more flexible body than Kovtun that would help him with the body movement transitions? I really don't mean to start any argument over these two young skaters, I am just curious to know your opinion because I personally think their potential is quite comparable at this point in time.

Thanks for the translation, TAHbKA.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. misskarne

Anyone who thinks Kovtun's jumps are at all comparable with Gachinski's needs their eyes examined. And possibly their head, too.

22. morqet

morqet Active Member

It is quite possible to compare skaters and debate their relative merits without being rude and aggressive. Try it and maybe people will respect your opinions a little more.

rfisher, alilou, Sylvia and 7 others like this.
  23. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

When did Kovtun call fans "prostitutes"?!?!

Anyway, always liked Artur. Really pleased to read this kind of interview from him. I'll refrain from getting too excited until we see him skate, but still, I am cautiously optimistic.

24. misskarne

On Twitter a little while back. Naturally, the tweet came down very fast.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Could it be his technique on his Salchow? His lean forward (bending at waist) just before he pushes off is killing me. I really don't understand how he can suddenly make himself rotate when just second before he was sort of bent forward.

I don't think that bothers me. It is natural. If a country has plenty of 'ok but nothing special' skaters and no one that really stands out, and then someone start coming through from juniors looking promising, he/she is bound to be hyped up. Same as with Kaetlyn Osmond, or with Caroline Zhang/Mirai Nagasu, or Adelina Sotnikova and Liza Tuktamysheva. Two years ago it was Gracie Gold, now it is Polina Edmunds...it is natural and it is not the skater's fault. The sport is cruel. Fans hype up a skater and then when the skater can't keep up with those (unrealistic) high results, fans kick the skater down. Sad, but that's life. I am not turned off by someone being hyped up but I am turned off if judges keep holding someone repeatedly up. (and that's sad too because it is not the skater's fault either).

Re: Voronov, I like that he was not going anywhere for a few years and then made a decision to change it, changed coaches, worked hard and placed 2nd at Europeans last season. It must have taken guts to do that.

About Menshov I like that he never gives up. His age goes against him, his Federation should have given him a chance several times when he deserved it based on his results at nationals, but they managed to overlook him and yet he managed to get his spot at Europeans last season and got bronze there. He got my respect. He showed them. Both Voronov and Menshov managed to beat Kovtun at the Europeans, and there was nothing the Federation could do about it.

26. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

He sounds mentally rejuvenated, which is good. It also seems rather immature and disrespectful that Mishin had to find out about the coaching change from anyone other than the grown up Artur; but I am sure there were reasons for that in Artur's mind. Personally, I want to see the skating do the talking before deciding how I feel about the change. Tarasova works for some, doesn't for others.

27. Amantide

Amantide Active Member

:D
    No it's not only that. It's something about overall skating. I had an inexplicable feeling of dislike the first time I saw him skate.
    He is good looking young man, but I don't know why.

For example with Kulik, Yagudin I went by instinct the first time I saw them and I was not disappointed.
    I also like Pitkeev and Gachinski. I really hope Artur will have a great come back, better than it was.

28. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Yes, unfortunately, Kovtun has the same annoying, awkward looking corkscrew technique on the 4Salchow takeoff that Caroline Zhang has going into some of her jumps. It's a major turn-off, but that is pretty much my only BIG gripe with his skating. I had no idea about the "prostitutes" comment; not knowing the context, I have to say that's kind of funny. :lol:

29. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

After watching his short program in the show, I can see huge change. Tarasova seems to work really well with the hard working masculine fellas. The changes are obvious and needed. I like it. I hope that his jumps remain and that she packages him nicely. I wish that Peter T. was not taken already because I would like to see him work with Artur.

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

You know what's funny? That one of misskarne's first replies after registering to FSU was a complaint about how mean and rude people can be on this message board. lol Yes, I do think it's funny and ironic. lol

But going back to the topic, the coach change seems to have re-energized Gachinski and that should announce an exciting battle for Russia's no. 1 man at the next Nationals and other competitions between him and Kovtun. Since they have the same coach/choreographer, I would expect their programs to be of comparable complexity. I don't necessarily mean the jump content but rather the skating between the technical elements. I am a neutral party to this rivalry for now, so let the better one prevail.:)

danafan and (deleted member) like this.