'Funny Girl' Set for 2012 Broadway Revival. Lea?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by soxxy, Jun 8, 2010.

1. soxxy

soxxy Guest

http://www.playbill.com/news/articl...Girl-Directed-by-Sher-To-Make-Broadway-Return

I think Lea would be perfect.

2. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Would Idina Menzel be too old for the role? I loved her rendition of Funny Girl on GLEE.

Also, Britain's Martine McCutcheon does a killer version of DROMP on youtube.

3. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I think Idina Menzel would be awesome in the role. Her rendition of Funny Girl on Glee was amazing.

4. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Gotta do something to generate an audience, Wicked can play only so long, so can Cats and Chorus line!

5. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Hell to the yeah, Idina is too old. Fanny is a teenager. Idina is... well, not...

I would bet money that Jennifer Damiano gets the part.

6. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Yes, for the part she's too old and actually way too pretty. (How many people have that problem? ;)) The first song of the show (movie, too, I think) is "If A Girl Isn't Pretty" where her mother's friends counsel Fannie:

"If a girl isn't pretty
    Like a Miss Atlantic City,
    All she gets in life
    Is pity and a pat....."

ETA: Jennifer Damiano has just been cast as Mary Jane in the mega-million dollar Spiderman musical to open later this year.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/new-mary-jane-for-spider-man-musical/

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2010
  7. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

Well, I thought Babs was pretty. :shuffle:

I'm not as rah-rah Lea Michele as some people. (Then again, I have some problems with Glee in general.)

And my first thought was that this is one of those instances where I just can't imagine anyone else doing this. It's like anyone Not-Aretha singing "Respect," etc. Or maybe it's just 'cos I was a very young music theatre fan when Streisand first became a movie star, and so that (film) performance is imprinted on me. :)

[Oh gawd, now I wanna watch "Don't Rain on My Parade." Luuurve the Statue of Liberty moment. :cheer2:]

8. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Here you go. One of the most iconic movie moments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_g3kkGH8Mo

I thought Streisand was gorgeous, especially when she filmed the movie.

9. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

For some reason Christina Agularra(sp) popped in my head.
    She certainly has the voice for it. This is not a part that a so-so voice can play.

10. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

What about Sutton Foster? Laura Benanti? They both might be too old, but I think they could pull it off.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Benanti, maybe. Foster I'm not sure about -- she's a terrific actress and I love her voice, but I'm not sure it's right for Fanny.

Now, Linda Eder could have done a great job with it a few years ago.

12. toepick

toepick Member

Idina is way too old.

I think Leslie Kritzer is a great choice. Benanti? Ummm, no. Not the right look or vocal style.

Lea, despite her success on Glee and acclaim from those who do not follow theatre but have a television set, is not the only working Broadway actress in that age range.

13. nalgene

nalgene New Member

If they're going to find an unknown, why not do a reality tv show search for the next Fanny? Canada has done it with the Sound of Music, and the UK recently did it with the Wizard of Oz. I don't think the US has produced a show like this yet, surprisingly.

14. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

I imagine Christina Aguilera could sing the hell out of that score. I agree with you that she has the vocal chops for it. She's been compared to Streisand. I'm wondering if she can pull off the comic schtick. Fanny Brice was funny. Christine Aguilera may be too pretty for the role.

I'm pretty much with TalentedButHumble. I too thought Streisand was beautiful, but her beauty was considered *unconventional* - Remember the whole point of the beautiful bride number.

I will go so far as to say that I'm not all that keen on the idea of a revival of this play. Streisand's performance was so difinitive and that performance really lauched her career... a career which is still going. Anyone trying to play the role is going to be compared to her and it is going to be very difficult to move out of the shadow of a living legend. However, I would also agree that there may be some incredible young actor/singer with a gift for comedy who really ought to be discovered. I'm all for that!

It will be interesting to see how well the play will fly on Bdwy without Streisand. I just hope that whoever plays Fanny Brice doesn't end up looking like she's imitating Babs!

15. chipso1

This has been done in the U.S., too. In 2007 NBC had a reality show to find a Sandy and Danny for the "Grease" revival.

16. nalgene

nalgene New Member

Ah, thanks, I must've missed that one. Was it a success?

17. chipso1

I think the TV show had good ratings, but the revival of "Grease" ended up not doing so well...

18. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

Personally I find the idea horrifying. I watched one episode of the Grease reality show because I figure if I'm going to criticize a thing, I should have at least seen it. The two people cast to play Sandy and Danny weren't particularly appropriate for the roles. They were a far cry, from what I saw, from the best the show probably could have gotten by casting in a traditional manner. Some things are far better handled by a smart theatre people than by popular vote.

19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I thought the reality casting show for Grease dreadful as well. Broadway producers have been turning to television/movie actors for even more of its casting choices this season. At tomorrow's night's Tony Awards, nominated:

Catherine Zeta-Jones
    Jude Law
    Denzel Washington
    Scarlett Johansson
    Sean Hayes
    Kelsey Grammar
    Angela Lansbury (Angela's "origins" can be debated)
    Cate Blanchett starred off-Broadway
    Christopher Walken
    Liev Schreiber
    Laura Linney

Last season Hugh Jackman, Daniel Craig, Daniel Radcliffe, Katie Holmes, etc., starred in major productions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/02/theater/02holiday.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2010
  20. toepick

toepick Member

Several people on your list had their starts in theatre (Lansbury, Zeta-Jones, and Washington). However, yeah, give me Sutton Foster, Alice Ripley, Emily Skinner, and Brian D'Arcy James over anyone who has made a living in Hollywood.

21. chipso1

I thought Laura Osnes made a fantastic Sandy. She's actually playing the lead in "South Pacific" on Broadway until later this summer. Max Crumm, on the other hand, had a very weak voice and IMO couldn't pull off Danny well at all.

22. PAskate

PAskate New Member

My first thought was that Jennifer Hudson would be great.

23. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Christina fan but not sure I could see her doing this. (Let alone would she want to.) BTW did anyone see her on Letterman the other night? What was up with her voice? It sounded all reedy and different to me.

Hmmm, now that her name came up - is she already too old for it? I have a soft spot for her, she grew up nearby and was in the local community theatre.

Funny Girl ended up being one of the vids I checked out of the library this week. I watched just that scene/ sequence about 3-4x in a row. Great song, wonderful visuals. (Although, having skimmed the unauthorized Babs bio several years ago, I couldn't get out of my head that she and Sharif really did :grope: ... Well, I guess she did just about every one of her male costars except Redford. :p)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  24. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

The revival did well... played more than a year. The other show that was done was the Search for the New Elle Woods for Legally Blonde.

25. cem

cem New Member

Lea Michele will not be able to do the revival. Unless Glee is declines quickly in popularity and is cancelled by 2011. There is no way Fox is going to allow the star of there hit show out of her contract for a year. At best she will be a temporary replacement during summer hitaus.

26. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

Jennifer Hudson might have the voice, but she certainly isn't right for the part. Fanny Brice was a Jewish girl from the Lower East Side.

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

They did it with Oliver! in the U.K., too. I was never able to see the production, alas -- I've only heard the cast album and seen YouTube snippets -- but as far as I can tell, Jodie Prenger was a fantastic choice for Nancy.

28. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

They could TOTALLY make it part of Glee for Lea to go to Funny Girl... she could still do parts of the show- cross promotion. She leaves school to go play the part... the show gets free publicity, she gets a Tony nomination, and she gets the show much press. And based on the Tony performance tonight, I would say that she is lobbying for it.

29. chipso1

It could be possible that Lea will have "graduated" high school by 2012 and not have as big of a role on "Glee" after that. If they continue making each season the equivalent to a school year, and she was a sophomore this season, she would be "done" by spring 2012....