Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by siberia82, Dec 18, 2010.

1. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I wonder what fans of other sports are saying about us? :lol: As far as I know, the Cleveland Browns football team is composed of Bernie Kozar, Brian Sipe and Jim Brown. :eek:

2. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

Unfortunately I was in hospital when Worlds 2004 started and had to watch the Men's competition along with some fellow-patients who weren't skating followers at all. I remember one of them described Plushenko as a 'cold fish' whereas all of them really fell in love with Stephane Lambiel.

3. newbatgirl

newbatgirl Well-Known Member

My husband is a teacher and he showed D/W OD from last season to his sophomore class (it was a class on multiculturalism). Most of them had never seen ice dance before. One kid commented that he thought their steps were good but he was hoping that the "guy would throw the girl around more."

Cue five minute explanation of ice dance versus pairs. Thank goodness my husband has been watching skating with me for 11 years and was well versed in the difference.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

HAHAHA!!! When I wanted to take my friends with me to watch figure skating competition I decided to explain them some rules, and one of them asked me how many times skaters can fall before they are disqualified :lol:

Or another question: "Do you see a difference between all those jumps? Come on, it's impossible. I'm sure even judges can't do it."

5. Mafke

Mafke New Member

In the 2002 season I was watching ice dancing (Euros?) when Fusar-Poli/Margaglio were skating he said: "He doesn't do very much, does he?"

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

in 2002 when US Nats was in LA, my brother and sister in law took me out to supper.
    SIL who does not follow skating in any form ask "what else was I going to do while in LA", my brother, who isn't skate saavy but does know some, replied she will be seeing the inside of the staples center - kind of like when we got to Lakers basketball games, one game is not the entire season. Then she asked if I was going to see Tara, Nancy K, Kristi Y, Scott H, Brian B and Katia and Sergi skate - my brother tried to explain that those skaters are no longer competing.

My ex-boss who was a self declared "devoted skating" fan wanted to know why skaters didn't learn different programs - that she was seeing the same program each week (during Grand Prix season and ABC, ESPN, USA were showing all the events). Her response "no wonder people don't want to watch skating, it is the same thing all the time. they would do better to perform a new program each week". Also during the SLC competitions wanted to know who that girl from switzerland was because she is so cute but she had never heard of her before (I think it was Sarah Meier?). She called Irina - Slutskaya because she was Michelle and Sasha's enemy.

7. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

:lol: No she would never have seen or heard of Kiri Baga! Unless you were a close follower of the sport you wouldn't have. Miki Ando was probably the closest one I could think of. Or possibly a mixture of Miki and Asada. Who knows!

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol: I thought of Aki Sawada. :p

9. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Where does this long-suffering daughter start? :drama: My mother likes to come watch figure skating shows with me, but I'm not sure she's yet even grasped that there's a difference between singles and pairs, and I've given up trying to explain the difference between pairs and ice dance. And even though I've explained things to her before, given her a history of the sport on the metro to see Micheal Weiss' annual show, and even given her videos to watch, she never remembers anything.
    But as for what she's said, the funniest was probably when we went to see Kaleidescope last year(and she was furious at their commanding the audience to clap at their convenience and waited while they did multiple takes to tape the intros to the skaters; her dislike of anything Fox did not help). Initially she liked Dorothy Hamill and Rachael Flatt, found them strong and enjoyed them. Then a couple of months later, when I mentioned the latter was mentored by the former, she did remember them(which is remarkable in itself!), but talked about how she should have known because Rachael was so "conventional," and of Dorothy she sneered, "She must have a lot of money."

10. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

11. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I have a picture in my cubicle at work of me and Kurt Browning from the time I met him.

The other day my coworker asked me if it was a picture of me and my husband. :lol:

12. Libertango

Libertango New Member

It seem so. But it's a weird rule because at NHK and for the rest of the season he added feathers to his tights so it made his costume legal :slinkaway

13. sfahrut

sfahrut Member

Did you see all of these teddy bears?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRmXEvviRMM

14. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Same with me: I was showing to my classmate my TEB pictures and when he saw the one I took with Scott Moir he said "Hey, you didn't tell me you were there with your boyfriend!" :lol:

15. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

16. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

Mr skateycat knows enough about skating to be dangerous, having gamely gone with me to 2002 Skate America and 2005 US Nationals.

But I still get guff about that 'nice Canadian boy' whose bouquet I caught at Skate America! (Patrice Archetto - yay!)

17. MichelleTodd

MichelleTodd Active Member

My youngest sister, who actually knows something about skating, always called Slutskaya and Butyrskaya Slutface and Butface, respectively. :rofl: This is someone who took her daughter to ice shows and some of the 2001 Worlds and paid for a few years of lessons for said daughter.

18. screech

screech Well-Known Member

To the people who complain about the falls, I say 'why don't golfers always make their shot?' and 'why don't hockey players always make their goals/goalies always make their save?' and things of the sort.

19. walei

walei Well-Known Member

My mom screams awwwwWWWWWch in fear for any skater that falls.

She had the same reaction when she watched Jurassic Park... to her skating falls are just as scary.

20. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:encore::encore:

21. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

LMAOOOO, that is hilarious! My astronomy prof said the exact same thing, he was just lecturing on a topic about angular momentum and rotation of planets and used figure skating as an example and it went something like this:

First slide: Picture was Michelle Kwan --> and he says "so here now is Nancy Kwan, pulling in her arms to speed up...etc."

a few slides later: a picture of Nancy Kerrigan pops up lolll

22. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Did he use cock feather?

23. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Yep, people used to think that also of me and Tomas Verner seing my picture with him :lol:

the first year I followed Worlds (2000), I used to call Slutskaya "that Maria who ended up between Kwan and Butyrskaya" :lol: and look at the fan I am now! ;)

But the best thing I always laugh at, is when I tell someone I'm going to a skating event and they ask me "are you going there to compete?" lol that's just so absurd taken that they never see me going to any practices and there's actually NO real ice rink in my city :p

24. SpiralGirl

SpiralGirl Well-Known Member

After TEB last year, the girl who I took with me asked me whether I remembered "that funny French guy called BONER". She meant Bonheur :lol:

My brother also likes watching Yukki Nikki (Yukari Nakano) do her doughnut spin and various skaters perform "triple whips" (flips!). To be fair, he was 4 :p

25. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol: That's adorable!

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I've had this conversation more than once. :wall:

This thread is exactly the reason I never talk about skating with people who aren't mad fans. :p

27. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My dad would ask me to do "those double whizzies" all the time. When I did dance my partners mother would ask all the time "How are your lobes?" She could not grasp what a choctaw, twizzle, bracket, rocker or anything else was. Lobes were the only thing she would ask about.

28. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

This one's too funny:rofl:

29. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

Not funny, but something I've noticed. I call our sport "skating" or "figure skating." Most non or casual fans seem to call it "ice skating." Whenever someone calls it "ice skating" it sets off an alarm to me that they don't really know very much.

I could be wrong in this assumption. What do most of you call it?

30. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

I call it "skating", but actually when I say to my classmates I'm going to see a skating competition they are silent for a few seconds and then say:
    "...you mean...on the ice??"
    "yes"
    "...cool!!!"