Funny comments made by non-figure skating fans about the sport

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by siberia82, Dec 18, 2010.

1. siberia82

siberia82 New Member

I decided to start this thread after recently talking to a guy who knows next to nothing about figure skating. I had to share his (unintentionally) hilarious comment with you all:

"Elvis Stojko? He's the first man to land a backflip in competition, right?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: (Seriously, the man wasn't joking----he really did believe that! :duh:)

My brother is also clueless about the sport, and he thought Canada's top men's singles skater was named Patrick Buttle. :lol:

Anyone else have amusing stories related to non-figure skating fans trying to say something about this sport or its athletes?

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:rofl:

3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

In Print: "Michael Weiss was the first American man to land a Quad Sow Cow."

4. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

LOL!!

5. MikiAndoFan#1

:lol: So funny!

6. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Mu Aunt claims to be a fan of Igor Evgenevich. (Plushenko) When I came back from TEB last year she asked if Kiki Wada was there- still not sure who that was meant to be!

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

One of my relatives asks, when any Asian female skater is on the ice "Isn't that Nancy Kwan? She still hasn't retired?" :duh:

One of my cousins "tests" me to see if I really know about the technical side of skating by asking really dumb, easy questions like "why is the axel the hardest jump?" (because it takes off forward, according to some commentator he must have heard in his three seconds of ever watching fs), and is soooo shocked when I know what I'm talking about and identify the other jumps.

Once we were playing Trivial Pursuit and there was a rather obscure question about a skater who had won multiple US ladies titles, but never an Oly gold, in the 1970s (it was Janet Lynn, but alas it wasn't my question). My cousin answers "Oh, that French black chick!" (Surya) I'm like, she wasn't skating in the 70s, and if you know she's FRENCH, how could she have won the US title? Derrrr. It's just that they remembered her losing the gold at Worlds and being really upset. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  8. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

This wasn't a comment but a reaction.
    The couple next to me for the Olympic Men's Short was there because they got the tickets as part of a package so they decided to check it out.

The first time something was thrown onto the ice he was flabbergasted.
    Him: "What are they doing?"
    Me: "Oh people throw things onto the ice for skaters they like."
    Him: (with the funniest look on his face and laughing) "You're kidding. Seriously?" What are they throwing?
    Me: "Usually stuffed animals - but sometimes other things. People used to throw flowers but bits of them came off onto the ice."
    Him: Lots of laughter - and still disbelieving. He said something else in his amazement but I can't remember what it was. He thought it was pretty funny.
    And I guess - when you think about it - it kind of is! I started to imagine what it would be like if stuffed animals were thrown in during other Winter Sports like - hockey or curling - or biathalon! Or even more performance based sports like gymnastics. When you think of it happening at any of those it would be weird. Then again there are men who throw themselves at Russian tennis players!

Oh and the same guy - kept guessing which man in each flight was going to get the highest score based on what he was wearing. He was often right!

9. vmfan89

vmfan89 New Member

Lol with my mother it's ''How did Eugeny do?''

10. MikiAndoFan#1

Goodness, this thread is hilarious!

11. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Oh, I have some, courtesy of my bf. He used to call Todd Eldridge "No Quad Todd". Whenever he see Inoue & Baldwin, he says, "Oh, there's that guy who could never get that girl in real life". He occasionally asks if "Turtle Girl" (Mira Leung) or "Muscle Girl" (Meagan Duhamel) is skating. When I was watching the GP Final, he actually recognized Robin Solkowy as "that guy we almost ran into. He was a lot shorter than I expected. He looks a lot taller on tv." (we almost literally ran into him at Skate America 2008).

12. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Long ago while watching Anissina and Peizerat at some competition on TV, my niece wondered why two ladies were skating together. :D

13. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

My hubby is that guy. He asked about Alissa when I was watching GPF: is she 35 years old?

14. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

Nowdays Anissina is being called: "She is a green-eyed goddness. Look and get envious! I want the whole world to enjoy her naked beauty" by her husband Dzhigurda, her topless photos are there (don't ask me to post the link, it's not safe for workplace).

15. work suspended

work suspended New Member

This is hilarious!!! :rofl:
    Thank you for those funny episodes. I love this thread!
    I wish I had some...

16. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

I remember being at Canadian nationals in Calgary in 2000....Kurt Browning had been retired for 6 years at the time, but his picture was in the program as he was being inducted into the Skate Canada Hall of Fameat the event....a lady behind me opened her program, saw his picture and exclaimed so-excitedly (seriously like she was about to burst) "Is Kurt competing?!"

At the same competion there was a lady skating called Annie Bazinet, someone near me wondered if she was any relation to the choreographer, Sandra Bazinet ;)

17. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

When each of my 2 kids were about 3 yrs old, they wanted to get my attention onto them instead of watching skating on TV. My daughter climbed to the top of the couch and jumped off saying that she could do a double poopy. My son did something similar but said he was going to do a double whip.

18. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

It took a lot of explaining before my mom understood that the SP and LP were not seperate competitions. After watching the men's short program during the last Olympics, she was all distraught over Plushenko getting gold instead of Evan.

During the 2006 Olympics, my brother was convinced that Shizuka Arakawa was Michelle Kwan and informed me that she finally won the gold medal.

A friend of mine was watching the 2010 US nationals ladies LP with me and kept asking me to let her know when the skater was going to do a triple axel.

Watching and talking about skating with non-fans is fun. :lol:

19. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I was at the Champions on Ice show in Hartford, CT in April of 2006. I had taken pictures, and I sent a picture of Michelle to my mother.
    She replied, "That's Nancy Quon."

20. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, at TEB, few years ago, the old lady sitting next to me told me, during the Men LP : "I didn't know that the competition was opened to men and women at the same time". She was talking about Sergei Dobrin. ;)

Other thing, not funny at all, that my brother told me in 1993.
    "You'll see, Lu Chen will be on the podium at the Olympics and Surya Bonaly will be in 4th".
    And then again, at 1994 Junior Worlds : "You'll see, Michelle Kwan will be World champion in the next few years".

I wonder what are his thoughts about FS these days ! :lol:

22. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I got my picture taken with Alexei Yagudin when I was 18 (just after he won the O's), and my mom had it up on the fridge for a bit. One of her non-skating fan friends saw it and said 'Oh, he's cute! Is that her boyfriend?' My mom replied with a resounding 'yes'. :D

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

At work the other day, my coworker said "Oh! I thought of you - I was watching figure skating!" (the GPF) and we proceeded to talk about it. I actually hadn't gotten a chance to watch the competition at that point yet. :shuffle:

Coworker: "This one Japanese guy fell TWICE. I couldn't believe it. TWICE!"
    Me: "Well, believe it or not, that's not actually that uncommon."
    Coworker: "But these are suppose to be professionals! The best of the best!"

24. Libertango

Libertango New Member

My dad and I were watching the (delayed) broadcast of TEB in 2007 and he really loved K/N better than "the french who won" (Delshoe). He had only one problem: is she really allowed to dress up like that :p ? Then I told him that they indeed had a costume deduction but it was because he was wearing tights, not because of her.

My 3 year old nephew came to me while I was watching an ice dance FD on youtube and he started watching the end with me. He was quiet and really seemed focused on it so I asked him if he liked it and he answered "yes, because they spin and turn!!!" and I told him "you are so right! This is what ice dance is all about now!" :lol:

25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Gee, that's mean spirited. :eek: :( - I just don't care about quads to the exclusion of everything else in skating, but that's JMHO, so I don't want to get into a heated quad/no quad debate here.

I have a friend who's a casual fan at best. She gets confused with men's skaters names in particular - Kurt Eldredge/Todd Hamilton/Browning. I usually end up correcting her gently. :lol: :D

OTOH, I have friends who do ask me whom to watch for in the various competitions.

26. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

My friend and I were talking about the Vancouver olympics and I asked him who he thought would win the women's competition. He said ohhh I know... Nancy Kerrigan!!!!

Lololol

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Kiki Wada? Maybe Kiri Baga?

28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Show her Chan's 2010 Skate Canada SP. She'll be traumatized for life. :lol:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  29. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

:rofl:

30. senorita

senorita New Member

men are not allowed to wear tights?