Funding of international skaters: federation/gov't/private/other support & prize $$$

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 11, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

These questions came up in the U.S. team envelope thread and I think this is a topic that might be of interest, particularly regarding how elite international skaters from different countries receive funding / may or do not receive any or enough outside funding to support their competitive careers.

No, you are not wrong. USFS' team envelope money only covers a fraction of the skaters' annual expenses, as kwanfan1818 explained in this reply in the other thread. There is also USOC (U.S. Olympic Committee) funding available to Team A and B skaters/teams, but I don't know any specific details or amounts.

1. Yes (see post #3 below for a compilation of ISU prize money amounts).

2. No (ETA: unless the event organizer can provide prize money).

3. I don't think so.

I will post links to information online re. Canadian elite skater funding and would be interested to know what is publicly known or available online about elite skater funding in Japan, Russia, other European countries, etc.
    Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Sylvia

Skate Canada High Performance Development Grants ("Awarded to skaters placing 1-5 in Novice, Junior, and Senior events at the Canadian Championships and the Skate Canada Junior Nationals."): http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/F...eteFund/tabid/236/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Figure Skaters Receiving Athlete Assistance Program (AAP) Support as of April 1, 2012 (Sport Canada Carded athletes): http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/sc/pgm/apaa1-eng.cfm#t156

Own the Podium (Figure Skating received $750,000 out of $21,347,050 Total Funding for Winter Sports in 2011-12): http://ownthepodium.org/Funding/detailsw.aspx?id=6
    "Targeted Athletes": Patrick Chan, Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Duhamel/Radford
  3. Sylvia

From the 2012/13 ISU Junior Grand Prix Announcement:
    2012/13 ISU Senior Grand Prix Announcement not yet published online - here are the amounts from the 2011/12 GP Announcement:
    ISU World Championships
    ISU European Championships
    ISU Four Continents Championships
    ISU World Junior Championships
    NOTE: Refer to ISU Communication No. 1509 - PRIZE MONEY ISU CHAMPIONSHIPS (July 2008) - as the current official document re. ISU Championships prize money.
    "The ISU Member of skaters who have been awarded prize money may retain a maximum of 10 %."

ETA 2012 ISU World Team Trophy
  4. vexlak

vexlak New Member

Sylvia you are the best.
    I just would like to add that there is a bonus paid:

Bonus for participation in the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final
    A skater/couple will receive an extra bonus of US$ 2.500,00

I am sure that the seniors will have similar provision
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  5. Sylvia

Thanks, vexlak. I will double check and edit into my prize money post above.

ETA: I've edited in the bonus for the JGP Final, but I didn't see a similar bonus listed in the Announcement for the 2011-12 Grand Prix Final.

Re-posting from the U.S. team envelope thread:
  6. missing

missing Well-Known Member

Am I reading the chart correctly? Is there a substantial difference between prize money for Europeans and Four Continents?

And if there is, what is the justification?
  7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Euros is popular with audiences, always, 4CC not so much. I don't know if the ISU gets much of any payment for tv rights for 4CC, unless perhaps it is in Japan.
  8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Australian skaters don't get much. There might be some money coming from the Olympic Winter Institute if they achieve some results internationally. Or they might get club support or private sponsorship. There a couple of scholarship funds too. But for most it is pretty much doing it on their own and costs the skaters or their parents a small fortune.
  9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I thought the prize money differential was tied to the "developmental" nature of 4C's and the difference in rules, such as every country still entitled to three spots in every discipline (as long as the skater meets the championship TES minimum, new last year). 4C's was considered to have weaker fields, diluted for years with top singles not competing and not all three top Chinese teams, but whether that is the chicken or the egg, I'm not certain, since the fields can vary by geography and whether it is an Olympic year.

Comparing numbers -- I maybe be off by a couple, since I did it quickly -- the 2012 competitors are, Euro vs. 4C's; in parentheses are the numbers if spots were based on 2011 4C's*:

Men: 32 vs. 28 (19)
    Ladies: 41 vs. 30 (20)
    Pairs: 19 vs. 10 (not counting the spot dropped for second earned for JPN by T/T)
    Dance: 32 vs. 11 (12, if CHN had sent two instead of one)

There were preliminary rounds at Euros for Men, Ladies, and Dance, and none at 4C's.

*I didn't go back to the beginning to see how many skaters would have been sent to 2011 4C's, where there would also have been fewer skaters from spots earned in 2010 based on 2009, etc.
  10. vexlak

vexlak New Member

How about Olympic participants and hopefuls?
    National Olympic Committee (NOC) receives financial support for the training and development of Olympic teams, Olympic athletes and Olympic hopefuls. How does each NOC distributes their $$?
  11. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

It seems like very few skaters have major sponsors. I haven't heard of a skater signing a major endorsement deal in quite a while.