Fumie Suguri intends to continue competing, aiming to compete in Sochi 2014.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by carriecmu0503, Mar 10, 2011.

1. WayCon

WayCon New Member

If she can move up from block competitions to nationals, and she earns international assignments, who would say no? Like any other skater, she will go as far as she can go.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

To read that Lepisto is out of worlds and Suguri aims to be in soon, is making my heart ache.
    - I really don't mean to be disrespectful, so I'll add: good for you, Fumie.

3. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

Huh??? :eek:
    What can I say........
    I wanna just say 'Wow' !!! Amazing Suguri !!;)

4. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I have enjoyed of Suguri´s skating during many years and now I´m hoping that she´ll find a job connected with skating. Apparently it´s very difficult for her to end the competitive career. Her skating career does not look promising at all, will she even get any GP-events in 2011 fall? It seems to me that it´s highly unlikely that she will succeed at the Nationals well enough to make the Japanese World team in 2012 and 2013 or to make the 2014 Olympic team.

On the other hand if she is wealthy enough to keep competing at the Nationals without getting results good enough to make any teams, that is her own choice.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  5. geod2

geod2 New Member

Well, IceJunkie...you get it!
    That's right, she is a chronological wonderchild....

As the demographics of figure skating continue to drift north (aka "older") there will be an appreciation for those who can give everyone above the average age "hope"....

Geezz...Alissa Czisny taught us about the possibilities for "older" skaters to make a difference if they were committed enough and had the right coaching........
    ...and she deserved every medal, accolade, and Super Bowl commercial she enjoyed as a result.

.........one BIG thing missing fom Fumie's resume is SOI or some kind of professional commitment to the entertainment and commmercial side of FS......
    ..I could be wrong....somebody slap me upside the head if I missed it, but Fumie has never been in demand from the SOI crowd...people who just want to be entertained outside of the competitive arena of figure skating....

If Fumie could get her coaching and choreography right, and I mean really RIGHT without any bullshit, just one more time, we could witness a brief comeback similar to ACzisny's.

Otherwise, this will be just another sad, humiliating, expensive career-fade-out and disappearance....

-

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

ITA! No one who loves the sport and wants to compete should be forced out by "fans" who want them to "move on".
    I hope that she achieves her goal.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I wish she'd go back to the type of programs she had in 2003-2005. Even her 2006 SP was fantastic. Of course things have changed since then, but if she'd only get programs like that, then I think people would be more receptive to her staying on because even if she placed low, people could still enjoy her skating.

8. miki88

miki88 New Member

At least better costumes. :slinkaway

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Well, at least, Chussovitina won some World medals, even at a later age !

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

More of her doesn't necesseraly mean as an amateur skater !
    I remember a very interesting and inspiring Gala routine few years ago (she played a doll). It would be better to see her doing tours instead of competitions where she is not at her best. JMO. ;)

11. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Right on!

I would be happy to wait at the boards in Sochi with Ben-Gay and ThermaCare patches if and when she finishes her LP. :D

12. WayCon

WayCon New Member

Good one.

13. ponta1

ponta1 Active Member

If Fumie wants to continue competing, I say more power to her. It's her decision to make.

14. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

This. I loves me some Fumie, but the LPs these past three years have been painful. :slinkaway The SP this year was pretty good though. She needs to stay away from Murve.

15. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Yes, better costumes and choreography, please!!

Actually, being an "older" skater might open the door for more possible sponsors, like hair dye or something. ;-)

16. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Competitive figure skating is now professional. They earn prize money for winning, appearing, and endorsing as professional athletes (even if it is Ben-Gay and support hose :lol:). Money no longer comes from just touring and doing exhibitions after becoming ineligible.

:p There are a lot of people I would rather see at a gala giving it a rest, but I can just choose to ignore them ;)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  17. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

gooo fumie!

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

If that's what you wanna do Fumie, go for it!

I loved her when I first saw her in 97(!!) and really loved her programmes circa 01-06.

My thoughts and prayers with her right now - her grandfather died this morning.

19. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

It's a bit ridiculous to compare Czisny to Suguri. Fumie turned 30 in December, and Alissa is only 23. Alissa may seem older because she's competed at US Senior Nationals every year since 2002, but she is far from being 'over the hill'.

20. artsciboy

artsciboy New Member

I agree - her programs since she stopped working with Lori Nichol have been horrible. The judges aren't even giving her decent PCS anymore. Its not that her basic skating or ability to interpret has gone downhill, its that her programs have not allowed her to highlight her speed and basic skating.

I am all for Fumie continuing, but she needs to get serious about her training and get better choreography. She still has the goods (flutzes and mental blocks aside) - but isn't surrounding herself with the best coaches/choreographers at the moment.

Part of the problem is that Fumie's a bit of a diva and will leave coaches when she feels like she's not the main priority (e.g., Sato, Morozov). If she stuck with them, I don't think she'd be struggling as much as she has been.

21. Angela-Fan

Angela-Fan Well-Known Member

fumie a diva? :eek:

22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wish someone would enlighten me as to why Morozov is such a popular coach

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I became a Fumie fan when I saw her skate to "Jupiter" (from Holst's "the Planets" circa 2000/2001 (?).

My sincere condolences to Fumie and her family at this time.

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Morozov had some high-profile students that had successes on the world stage under his tulage. Plus he really know how to please his [female] students ;)

25. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

She already knew that Ando was Morosov's main priority when she went to him in 2007-2008. That said, I wish she had stayed with Sato.

26. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Fumie's a diva? :eek:

I know she and Shiz weren't friends but I've never heard this about her.

A great programme! I loved her SP that year aswell, as well as her 02 programmes to Ave Maria and Moonlight Sonata, and Pink Panther and Carmen in 05. She was so much better under the Sato's IMO.

27. WayCon

WayCon New Member

Certainly, there were times when Fumie seemed like a diva. When she first started working with Morozov, I noted that she and Miki didn't look at each other, even when they were standing a few feet away from each other in the hallway. One time, I saw them standing and not talking, when Miki turned a little toward Fumie, looked at her and smiled quietly in an apparent attempt to initiating a little mutual recognition, but Fumie didn't respond. She wouldn't talk to anyone, she didn't acknowledge anyone but Morozov and the people who came with her. Then, days later, that all changed and Fumie became quite friendly to everybody--very talkative and outgoing. She and I had some nice, extended conversations. So, maybe, like many people, she could be masking shyness with a diva's personality. She's quite nice.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  28. icellist

icellist Member

Does anyone know why Fumie Suguri dropped out of Finlandia Trophy? She sounded pretty sure that she was going per twitter. But I also found something on someone else's twitter about Fumie and her family not being able to fund her skating anymore :(

29. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I was looking forward to seeing Fumie compete, this week. :(

How sad. :(

30. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:( This isn't the way I wanted things for Fumie to end up, if this means that her amateur career is over, I hope that she can leave proud with all that she has accomplished :) , if she finds a way to continue, she will always have a fan in me :D