Fumie Suguri intends to continue competing, aiming to compete in Sochi 2014.

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by carriecmu0503, Mar 10, 2011.

1. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

:eek:

The NEW granny! :cheer2:

The only problem is, she's skating in the most competitive country in the world. :shuffle:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It's too bad she couldn't switch to another country. She would be good enough to win Nats in a lot of smaller countries.

If she wants to make Sochi she'll have to skate a lot better than she did this season, but it could be done. Look at Shawn, Alissa, Ryan, etc.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Hardly. Based on the grand prix events she was in this year Sonia Lafuente is now a better skater than Suguri.

The girl needs to get over her crazy delusions (eg- qualifying to compete for Japan in Sochi, ROTFL), and move on with her life, be that in skating or something else.

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

She was fifth in the SP at Japanese nationals and that was not that bad. But then in the FS she is having problems with doubling jumps and flutzing. At GPs she was kind of a bottom dweller.

6. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

They're all 3-6 years younger than Fumie is now. She'll be *33* by Sochi. That would be like if Sasha Cohen decided to come back in 2018, or if Katarina Witt had stayed reinstated and competed until 1999. Which is kind of cool, actually :shuffle: (if she can afford it). Have any other ladies' singles skaters competed beyond age 30? I believe Miriam Manzano was 30 in her last Worlds and Gimazetdinova just competed at Asian Games at age 30. Even Butyrskaya, Malinina, and Liashenko only competed until age 29.

7. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I'm speechless! I know Fumie was having some trouble finding a sponsor to continue skating, but something came through. If she shoots for 2014, she'll be able to distinguish herself by her age! Maybe some sponsors will jump aboard to see if Fumie could do it. It would make a really fun story (if she has some success in the Olympic season) or no story at all. Risky for sponsors, but I suppose that's true much of the time. Athletes, no matter their age, can always get injured.

O-

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

:rofl: at this thread in the trash can

Now that I think about it the only way she can get to the next olympics is by acquiring citizenship for skating in another country...otherwise her chances are zero.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Yay! :cheer2: I'm happy she hasn't given up on her dream! Go Fumie! :glamor:

10. a56

a56 New Member

:encore: 33 year old Granny Fumie! :cheer2:

11. icellist

icellist Member

i hope her the best few years she has left and a healthy one to boot!
    she was always inspiring to me pre '08
    I think she has the best flying sit spin/camel spin entrance of any lady

12. NMURA

NMURA Member

Suguri's sponsor is a pharmaceutical company in Toyama. Looks like its owner is giving money out of some shared feelings toward Suguri. It's more like a personal hobby than a corporate activity. So, her results won't matter much anyway. Suguri's "skating" is turning into nothing more than her personal hobby. I'm curious if the JSF would continue funding to Suguri. She won't have any international assignments in the next season.

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Get it Fumie!

14. JamieSix

JamieSix New Member

Never quit, Fumie! :cheer2::cheer2:

I would love to see her in Sochi, actually!

15. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

yes, it would be nice to see her in the broadcasting booth.:p

16. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:lol: I freakin Love Suguri! do it baby :respec:

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what her chances of making it to Sochi really are, but good for her! I'm just :rollin: about how aggravated some posters seem to be about this. Fumie's a grown woman -more than old enough to know what she wants in life. And, competitive skating is not such a terrible addiction. At least she'll still look hot and way younger than her age when she does decide to retire.

Interesting...maybe skating will be the way she gets a bf after all -despite her mother's fears :p.

Miriam just turned 31 before the 2006 Calgary Worlds. If it weren't for the whole suing the ISA/AOC mess to see whether she or Jo Carter could go to Olympics that year, her season would have turned out much better. And, I'm still hoping we haven't seen the last of Gizmo.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  18. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

She's soon going to be getting grey hair.

19. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Maybe someone from an obscure ISU nation can marry Ms Suguri, so that she can represent Mongolia or Azerbjean.

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

The Nationals judges have been very kind to Fumie for the past 4 years or so.

She's doesn't seem to be getting any "just retire already!" marks from her home judges at least, so I can see why she would continue on.

21. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

:rofl: This is both hilarious and inspiring at the same time! I am totally looking forward to seeing a 33-year-old Suguri competing in 2014. She'll be the Chusovitina of figure skating!

Thing is, though, to the casual fan no one would ever know she was in her thirties. She doesn't look a day over 20.

PeterG, briancoogaert, geod2 and 3 others like this.
  22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

To paraphrase uncle Dick: "Well good for you Fumie Surguri! " :)

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If Suguri was still very competitive like Chusovitina at her age it would make total sense for her to continue. When you are a former 3 time World medalist coming 7th annually at Nationals and 9th in your grand prixs and have no hope of ever making another World team (never mind actually being anywhear near the top 7 or 8 women in the World) and needing to beg for sponsors to dish out some chump change for you to afford to continue, that is a whole other story.

24. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I wish JFA would offer a job of some kind to Suguri and get her off the ice.

25. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I totally respect her as a skater. I disagree with the country-swapping thing. I don't think she would respect herself (no offense to country-swappers). I think her country has treated her like the U.S. has treated Alyssa. Merit for the other stuff.

The only thing that worries me is she stated she's not good at/doesn't like jumping. Even out of Japan, kind of necessary. Not good at it one thing (Sasha), not liking another.

I wish her the best. She is truly a passionate and wonderful skater. I never though Shizuku would win anything, so who knows?

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Did she qualify for funding from her placement at the last Nationals? Did she even qualify for a GP or a international in the coming season?

Good that she has a sponsor, because I honestly don't see her winning much prize money or funding otherwise. Still, IIRC she won a free skate at JPN Nats just 2 seasons ago, so never say never I guess. :shuffle:

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Maybe revive the pro circuit now that there are so many internationally acclaimed skaters out of Japan?

If not have Ito and Sato as guest skaters, they can have Arakawa, Suguri, Ota, Onda, Nakano, Asada, Ando, Murakami, Suzuki etc... And on the guys side they can have Honda and the current top 3 etc.

28. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I think it's an excellent idea to revive professional skating around Japan. They draw huge audience and TV coverage to cheese fests like Japan Open and Team Competition, so market is definitely there.

Only problem would be finding adequate governing body to commission the pro circuit. I don't see JFA and IMG having interest, as they have too much stake in Olympic eligible competitions. May be Suguri could help her own cause by becoming an entrepreneur and establish the circuit her self?

29. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Good for Fumie. I hope to see more of her.

30. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

I'm all for Fumie's decision to keep competing, but if she's going to, at least get some better programs.

Her programs the past 3 seasons have sucked big time choreographically.

If you're going to try for Sochi, at least give yourself a sliver of a fighting chance. Goodness knows there are numerous odds against you already; no need to put yourself at an even greater disadvantage.

If she can return to the type of programs she skated in her prime (2002-2006), then at least I'll feel like her effort is out of a geniune desire to compete, instead of a refusal to let go of the past.