Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Oh, man...that was painful to watch. :(

The quality of her skating has so evidently declined in every respect, I simply can't imagine where her motivation to keep going is coming from.
  2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Maybe she feels stronger in 2013 than she was in 1997. Look at where she started from:

Suguri 1997 Worlds SP
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Philly2034

Philly2034 Banned Member

Keep going, Fumie! Never give up.
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Maybe her and Aliona get a discount on the sparkly short shorts -buy one, get one free? On a serious note, I think she looks very good for someone who didn't make Nationals. Choreographic help is a must, however. Too much two foot skating between elements. I almost wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to use some of her old COP programs? Good for her, however. Must be nice to have a clean skate and get an early start on her 2014 season.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ...

It's more walking than skating, posture and lines are bad and the choreography... Everything is just so messy and unfinished.

This.

The thing is, watching that video it really doesn't look like she's enjoying it much.

She was 4th in the SP, 8th in the FS and 7th overall.

Haruka Imai won with what looks from the scores like two strong performances, redeeming herself after the unsuccessful outing at Nationals
  6. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Hush your ****ing mouth, she's getting sponsors, she's going to the Olympics and she's going to WIN!!! All you naysayers... It's like you live in the world of reality or something....
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I'd sponsor her... getting institutionalised. :p
  8. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

The whole thing was a hot mess, for sure, but what really got to me was her flying camel spin. It looked sooo labored, especially when she changed to the inside edge. Her body line completely buckled and by the time she switched to a catch-foot she could barely maintain the edge at all.

Seeing that made me feel so sad, remembering what a secure and decent spinner she used to be before COP.

I agree. It seems like she's just going through the motions.

You compare this program with her Ave Maria from 2002, and the change is very sad to see. I can't even muster up any snark.

Even the costume difference seems to feed into this "has-been" narrative. You compare that beautiful blue dress from 2002 with that 2013 hooker get-up and it's like watching a before and after segment of someone who has lost control of their life.

I know that's hyperbole, but it nevertheless crossed my mind in comparing the two vids.
  9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Too true. What do Yoshie, Yukari, and Arakawa think of this?
  10. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

That was so beautiful a performance, I really ask myself - couldn't she savour her best years enough? It's really rare that a performance or a skater makes my cry, but watching her Ave Maria is one of the most moving moments I heve seen in ladies' skating. It's impossible to get back there for her, it seems. Then again - who knows? It's eleven years since.
  11. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Is Fumie Suguri the Laetitia Hubert of today?
  12. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

You know that Arakawa is laughing inside. We recently saw Yukari interviewing skaters for Japanese TV so good for her for finding another outlet to focus on! What is Yoshie up to nowadays?
  13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

1. That can't be her costume...it just can't!
    2. It looks so labored and unpleasant. I always assumed one of several things about Fumie: I figured she was either very independently wealthy or not particularly skilled outside of skating and forced by wealthy parents to continue skating (i.e. she couldn't work and they would pay her living expenses so long as she skated). It's not either of those, obviously. But she doesn't seem to be enjoying it, so I'm baffled.
    3. If she's serious about a comeback, she needs some real choreo and a great costume, plus a lot of other training that I doubt someone who looks so blasé about it would want to do.

I just want to hug her and remind her that she is beautiful and special and important, like that scene in The Help.
  14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Why ? :confused:
  15. Clay

Clay Active Member

No, that would be an insult to Hubert. Hubert took (ladies) voidy skating to a whole new level. In one of her hooker-on-crack performances, she tripped on a crossover, gave up in the air on a jump, and presented the audience with her crotch at the end.

Hubert decided to end her career when she was in good form. She landed the most difficult combination of her career (Triple lutz-triple toe) at the 02 Olympics, then had a great free program at 02 Worlds.
  16. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I like the shorts-over-leggings look for a sporty theme. Pairing it with the bare shoulders and long gloves does seem incongruous.
  17. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I thought Yoshie Onda was coaching.
  18. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Oh you KNOW our girl Shizuka is watching Fumie's programs sitting on a plush couch with her hair down while wearing a bathrobe and her Torino gold medal while eating Belgian bonbons and using her 2006 Japan Nationals bronze as a coaster for her glass of Port wine. :shizuka1::nopryde::2faced:
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  19. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

That's the silver medal for funniest post of the day (sorry, but you can't beat "The Sochi Olympic gold medal is Evan's to lose") :lol:
  20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

21. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

22. tkaug

tkaug New Member

She had a press conference after the Olympics in 2010 saying she needed 20 million yen a year for the training and that she would retire if she couldn't find a sponsor.
    Although I don't know how much they actually paid, she has found a company who would sponsor her until the next Olympics in 2014. They ended the contract in 2 years instead of 4. I'm really curious how she spent and wonder if a skater at her level really needs that much money to train. Even with that money, she didn't even qualify for the nationals. I just can't imagine she will find someone who would sponsor what she is now.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  23. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

According to today's currency converter, that's $219,891.64 a year.
  24. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She doesn't need that money much. She was also talking about how expensive it is to rent a private ice time. I am sorry but you don't need to rent a private ice to practice. you can practice with other skaters on the ice. She is just spoiled and delusional.
  25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh but it's so fun! Trying hard to convince yourself that there are people out there (ie. Suguri) who are even more miserable than you. No, I am not the biggest loser, look at Suguri!
  26. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Truest thing I've read all year. Poor Fumie...
  27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's true for daily practice, but it's not uncommon for high-ranked skaters to have several hours of private ice time for choreography. It's a lot easier to work on placing elements and figure out ice coverage when you're not constantly stopping to make way for other skaters who have the right of way during a session, either for a run-through or during lessons of their own. And then depending on far apart you and your choreographer live, a program might just need to get done in a few days, so you would need private ice time. Private ice is around $400-$500/hour where I live in the US. Just pointing out private ice is sometimes a reasonable and necessary expense...Did Fumie say she only wants to train on private ice, or did she mention it as an additional expense on top of regular FS sessions?

Having said all that, I do agree $200,000 a year is a lot, though.
  28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

The fact is she is no longer a high ranked skater. She didn't even qualify for the national. She wasn't talking about having a private ice to work with a choreographer. She was talking about having it for every day practice therefore she would need a sponsor.
  29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Poor, poor, poor Fumie.
  30. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

What the £¥¢& is she doing with that kind of money?!? Any sponsor willing to give her that would be nuts...no offense, Fumie. But really, there are top-level skaters who can't get anything close to that!
  31. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Poooooooooooooooooooooooooor Fumie. :(
  32. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She would be so good in the adult division.
  33. tkaug

tkaug New Member

34. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Not making it to Nationals last year doesn't mean she couldn't get back this season. Her technical content in the short was actually very reasonable -and that overall score would have placed her 7th after the short at this year's Nationals. Her choreography is a disaster area for now and she definitely needs a lot of help with that. I would think a midpack skater in a strong country like Japan would still qualify as high-ranked.

That is unreasonable. Akiko trains on a few busy freestyle sessions every day, so you'd think Fumie could do the same. It would make a lot more sense to ask for something like $50,000 in sponsorship money instead of the current astronomical amount.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  35. apatinar

apatinar New Member

LMFAO!!! WORK!!!
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Biggest put down of the thread so far. ;P
  37. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I would love someone to sponsor me to skate. Hey it would be even better if they sponsored me to live in the style I could quickly become accustomed to having.

And no-one needs whole rink to themselves to do choreography. Having the coach holding the tape player works just as well.
  38. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Is there a link about all of this or are people just trying to remember an announcement from three years ago?
  39. tkaug

tkaug New Member

40. tkaug

tkaug New Member