Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I hope she's skating for fun and for personal goals. I've always enjoyed Fumie's skating and her determination and I'm sure she helped inspire many younger Japanese skaters.

2. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Yes, Arakawa was in third place after the sp. Her coach advised her not to attempt a 3/3 in the long. Cohen won silver with two falls in the long I believe.

Was not doing a 3/3 then and winning the gold looked on the same way as Evan's winning his gold without a quad. I don't recall that it was.

3. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

It wasn't. IIRC, Arakawa's winning without a 3/3 was looked upon more as a fluke, in that the other top skaters all made multiple mistakes, rather than as a trend.

4. tkaug

tkaug New Member

I agree with you for Slutskaya, but which performance of Cohen are you talking about? We've rarely seen her skate flawlessly and we don't call that "like they normally did". Arakawa planned a 3-3 in the SP and 2 3-3s in the FS none of which happened while Cohen didn't plan any(she had a 3-3 sequence though). If all of the medalists had skated perfectly, Cohen would have had no chance to win.

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I always thought Arakawa was just aiming for a medal of any color. Her country had yet to win a medal, so there was enormous pressure on her to bring something home. From several accounts she was exceeding well trained and owned the practice sessions.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

One thing to remember is Cohen actually landed 5 triples, the same # as Arakawa and still lost by over 8 points. Slutskaya landed 4, only 1 less, and the protocals show had she landed a 5th, she still would have been well beaten, and would have had to land a 6th to even possibly win. So in a way she crushed the others with similar content, even if she made less glaring mistakes than Irina's falls and Cohen's fall and near fall.

7. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Goodness this is some serious thread drift!

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Where did Fumie go?:)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Suguri's latest tweet on Dec. 16:
    Via Google Translate:
    "Tension high for some reason I've been tired after the game; extremely busy this week ^ _ ^ meetings, interviews, etc."

She's been invited to perform in a gala in Regensburg, Germany on Dec. 28. :)

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The skate order in the FS was:

Gedevanishvili (19), SP: 57.90 (6)
    Cohen (20), SP 66.73 (1)
    Arakawa (21), SP 66.02 (3)
    Suguri (22), SP 61.75 (4)
    Meissner (23), SP 59.40 (5)
    Slutskaya (24), 66.70 (2)

At the time, there were reports that the Federation told Morozov to have Arakawa pull the 3/3's so that she would not jeopardize Japan's medal chances.

Arakawa skated third, with Suguri, Meissner, and Slutskaya left to skate. The Japanese Fed had no idea if Suguri would come through, having dropped several places at Worlds in 2004 and 2005 after her high (until that time) of a third bronze in 2003, they didn't know if Meissner would attempt and land 3/3's -- she didn't -- and pull a Hughes, at least for a silver or bronze -- with her 2006 Worlds FS score a month later, she would have won silver by close to 6 points and have lost gold by less than 2 -- and then there was Slutskaya skating last. It could have been a USA, USA, RUS podium in some order at that point, with Japan shut out of medals in the event and in the Olympics.

Suguri didn't have content that she could pull from her program. Her FS score was just over a point less than Slutskaya's with multiple errors, and the edge there for Slutskaya was PCS, but there were only a little over five points separating 2nd from 6th in the FS, and the 4+point deficit to Slutskaya in the SP was too much for her to overcome; if her flutzes had been called, the difference would have been greater.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  11. judgejudy27

Lets be real on one thing though. Kimmie Meissner was NEVER going to get the same score she got at Worlds even for the exact same performance at the Olympics. Worlds was a weak field with Arakawa and Slutskaya out (in addition to Asada, Kim, Ando, and Kwan, not that Ando or Kwan were even real contenders that year but still). Olympics was still a decent field with all the main contenders outside Asada (Kim and Kwan were minor contenders at that point at best) present, even though it turned into a splatter, but either way Meissner was never supposed to be a player in the Turin field, but the Worlds field was depleted enough, that after a strong Olympics and continuing her consistent skating, she was perceived a factor and there were limited options of viable contenders for the judges to draw upon by then anyway. She skated right after a really poor performance by Cohen, and the judges were probably terrified at the prospect of Cohen winning Worlds with that performance, as Suguri was no certainty to beat even a splatty Cohen, so went a bit too crazy on Meissner's scores, which on a side note led to some inflated PCS for her for atleast a couple more years, even though her presentation would continue to improve. Furthermore the judges scoring at Worlds was far more generous for the ladies than at the Games were they were very tight with PCS and especialy GOE. Cohen and Suguri both bested their Olympic SP scores for much worse performances with a badly two footed combo each. Suguri far bested her Olympic LP score with really a no better performance. Lastly by the Worlds LP Meissner had gained the judges respect after several events and a number of straight performances of consistent skating, whereas before the Olympics she had not earned that respect yet. Her PCS even in the qualifying and short program phases of Worlds had started to rise. The PCS she got at Worlds (which many thought were ridiculously high even with how well she skated) was never ever happening at the Turin Olympics, no matter how well she skated. I would see her getting 120 max which would still leave her out of the medals overall.

I doubt the Japanese factored in any worry Meissner was going to bump them off the podium before Arakawa and Suguri skated, they were pretty much certain to get atleast one medal at that point, unless both Arakawa and Suguri really imploded. Arakawa might have worried that she herself with a couple falls could be off the podium in favor of all of Cohen, Slutskaya, and Suguri, especialy as Sasha's 2nd fall wasnt recorded as an actual fall as it should have been, hence why she played it safe to secure a medal.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  12. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Back to qualify for Regionals? And then, presumably, the 2014 Sochi Olympic Team?:lol:

13. apatinar

apatinar New Member

Poor Fumie - it does seem that she has some kind of mental illness...

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The field at Torino might not have been weak, but it was a relatively weakly skated event. Meisnner wouldn't have received the same scores, because scores, especially PCS, seem to be retroactive, and she had to wait a few months, but she didn't need the same score to medal, just half of the difference. Had Meissner skated the lights out the same way she did at Worlds, with two 3/3's -- and Olympic judges love that skate-the-lights-out out performance, which no one in the final group gave them -- she might very well have beaten Suguri, especially skating second-to-last: she was a little under 9 points behind Suguri as it was, and two 3T's would have been almost six points right there, and it's funny how PCS jump when 3/3's are landed.

It wasn't Arakawa who decided that she needed to preserve a medal: it was her Federation. Had she skated last, they might have said nothing.

15. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

LMAO. Someone should start a poll- Is Fumie Suguri mentally ill?

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yeah, mental illness is just HILARIOUS. And such a fun accusation to throw at people just for continuing to do what they love doing. :rolleyes:

17. judgejudy27

I agree they would have given her the score to pass Suguri with her 2006 Worlds performance. The score to pass Slutskaya or Cohen though, I doubt it (to finish 2nd in the LP yes, but not overall). We will never know though.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Since we all agree that Fumie Suguri is deluded, I shall continue the thread drift and make the following contribution to this thread:

Arakawa's victory was even worse than Hughes's. The most depressing moment in skating ever.

I'll never get over Slutskaya not being an Olympic gold medallist. :drama:

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

No, that was Oksana Baiul's FS, without a single triple+ anything combination :p

VALuvsMKwan and (deleted member) like this.
  20. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

Since you are the same poster who was already bashing Slutskaya in another thread which was supposed to be a positive one until you spoiled it...let me tell you that your posts, despite the smiliey you've put at the end of this one, are not funny.

21. tkaug

tkaug New Member

She looks like she is still competing to get some connections with famous people(mostly MEN) before she loses the current position.
    On Twitter, she doesn't talk much about figure skating, but I have seen her contact those people, in skating field or not. She gets ignored by most of them, though.

22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Apparently she failed to qualify for this thread.

It's going around I hear.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah yeah true. Also, a program that was based on constant stopping, iirc (just like S/P's "Love Story" crap). That was before I started following skating, though.

24. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

First people are accusing her of being mentally ill, and now we're going into saying she's desperately looking for a man to no avail. Poor poor Fumie.

25. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Erm...she couldn't possibly be contacting any of these people because she's a fan, could she?

26. Excidra

Excidra New Member

Me too! I was in rage, like the character in "Carrie 2," when she fell on her loop. Slutskaya was such a disappointment at those games. :p

27. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I love the absolutely insane idea that, somehow, Fumie is only skating so that she can try to seduce men she contacts through Twitter. I mean, that's the only logical conclusion, right?

28. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Duh. Just look at....um....and...errr...and then there's....nope, I've got nothin'. Kudos to Suguri for being such a ground-breaker, the first mentally ill has-been skater to try to bag a sugar daddy via twitter. :respec:

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

IMO any of Cohen's 2005 Worlds performance, her 2006 pre-season cheesefest performance, TEB performance, or 2006 Nationals performance would probably suffice against what Arakawa put out. She didn't need to be perfect. If she had just landed the lutz combo (and still fallen on the flip), she would already have done nearly enough to top Arakawa, and that's before any GOE / PCS adjustments.

If the top 3 had gone clean in the free, Arakawa would gain around 6 more points (3sal2toe into 3sal3toe and 2loop into 3loop), Cohen would gain around 12 more points (-GOEs, deductions and lost levels) and Slutskaya about 10 more points (-GOEs, deductions and lost levels) before PCS is taken into account. So it really would be quite close but I think the short program is a good indication of who the judges favour in PCS when clean. And don't forget PCS factor is doubled in the free.

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Arakawa was probably the best skater at those Games anyway even though her presentation was cold. Can't say the same about Hughes in 2002. :p

And the only thing I can't get over at those Games was Kwan's injury and withdrawal. :drama: I agree with the poster who posted upthread that Arakawa being an Olympic Champion was an acceptable idea even if her skate was not out of this world. She deserved her win and she was a great skater, so I have my peace with that. I guess I am more comfortable with this than with Slutskaya winning because Kwan didn't win any Olympics either. :p