Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think that endorsements are where the real money is, and that is only for very few. I suspect Mao and Yuna do well with endorsements and probably Plushenko. There are probably others, but not many from the current eligibles.

2. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

The amount of money has nothing to do with it. What matters is whether whatever the skater is getting paid for is sanctioned or approved by the ISU or the skater's national governing body (they may take a percentage).

The thing that would never be sanctioned is a competition run by anyone other than the ISU or its member federations, especially commercial sponsors (pro competitions).

Also there are some restrictions on when a seeded skater is allowed to appear in outside events like shows if they're expected to compete in the Grand Prix (or ISU championships? or federations could restrict appearances according the timing of their nationals?)

But basically skating is not a professional sport and it is not likely to earn a profit from competing in competitions. At best, a handful of very successful top skaters might win enough prize money to cover their expenses and come out ahead, and others who are seen as having potential to win international competitions might be able to attract funding from national federations, Olympic committees, etc., and/or those who have already developed enough of a name or can be expected to do so, and there might earn funding from commercial sponsors who can use interest in the skater to attract customers and goodwill.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Georgia is a possibility!

4. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I don't think her family went bankruptcy or anywhere near that. The news we got was that her family does not afford to keep funding her skating and Fumie was looking for a sponsor. Then she found a sponsor.

That is very different from "bankruptcy."

5. chrysanthemum

chrysanthemum New Member

According to her blog (http://ameblo.jp/fumie-suguri/entry-11397363682.html), she has boot problems. She wrote that her right boot was on the verge of breaking down in the competition. She received new boots only three days before the competition, and it was too late. So, she wasn't able to use the new boots in the competition and used her old boots.

I liked watching her, too. So sad for the current situation...

6. Excidra

Excidra New Member

Oh lord.

Should we stage an intervention?

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Wonder if whoever posted about bankruptcy works for Fox news! :lol:

We could do that. Or wait for her to break in new boots. But your idea has a lovely hysterical dramatic flair to it. :p

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I don't know what else Fumie is doing with her life. Someone mentioned that her sponsor was the company she works for. It's possible that she has other things going on, but likes to compete and mixes her skating with the other things she does. In any event, I wish her all the best, I always liked Fumie and enjoyed seeing her skate.

9. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Not being facetious, but even if she was able to find another country, at this point would she even meet the minimum technical element scores?

10. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

One of the Russian ladies would be better off switching to Georgia...it's close to Russia and part of the former USSR. I think it would be harder to swing for someone Japanese.

11. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

She is skating in shows still. This year, two are Kings on Ice in Budapest and Music on Ice Bellinzona. For her fans, her is a vid of her performance at Music on Ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CxVcRzX1nQ

12. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

It's nice that she still has such a strong passion for figure skating but there comes a time in one's life when you must reevaluate and face reality. I guess skating in shows in not enough for her. I agree with those who say an intervention is needed. I mean at least Anastasia Gimazetdinova knew when to throw in the towel.

13. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

She should get into choreography or coaching and just move on.

14. 045t

045t New Member

I admire her for wanting to continue, but I think she has to reevaluate her plans for the future if she wants to make the olympic team.

15. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think Fumie has about as much chance of making Sochi as i do.

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

But in Gizmo's case, she was the only skater from Uzbekistan who could be competitive internationally. I can see why you'd want to keep skating when a trip to Worlds and 4CC is pretty much a given.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes! :drama:

With the way she's been skating for the last season, no.

Russia and Georgia do not maintain diplomatic relations ever since the 2008 South Ossetia war.

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I agree, especially if she really has so much passion for skating.

19. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

One of our Sportscasters once said there's nothing sadder than watching an athlete out there who doesn't know it's time to say Goodbye. It sounds like Fumie's reached that point and I hate saying that more than I can say as I've always adored her skating. :(

20. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I agree. I did see a TV special about children dying of starvation. It was kinda sad also.

Dr.Siouxs, Wiery, danafan and 11 others like this.
  21. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl:

Poor Fumie. If she wants to skate, let her. Who is she hurting?!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  22. Twilight1

I find her so lyrical. She would be an asset to the field for sure.

23. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

She didn't do any combinations, and she was a double-toe away from qualifying for Nationals! And who knows, maybe one of the top 10 ladies will withdraw before the competition :p

:watch:

24. Twilight1

I don't know if you were responding to me but i was talking about her getting into choreography or coaching not competing. ;)

25. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

:rofl: :rofl: Must spread rep around before giving it to PeterG again!

26. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

No one.

27. Eyre

Eyre New Member

Herself.:shuffle:

28. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for Fumie. It's hard to say goodbye and she seems to be having a very hard time of it.

29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Oh god girl, get a grip already.

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Myself, I find it hard to say goodbye to yesterday. It's so hard, actually.

:drama: