Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

dear oh dear ... why can't she skate in adult competition like Midori ito did? she would gain so much respect that way

but having said that, we'll be awaiting the news this year again. will she or will she not make it to nationals?

and what if she makes it to nationals and finishes in 23rd place?

oh well, i wish her happiness.

2. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Seems she enjoys training and learning to do things better, and she can pursue her passion while sponsors cover her expenses. Who wouldn't want that? I understand her chances are quite slim, but she gets to pursue what she truly wants...so few people in life can say that.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  3. tkaug

tkaug New Member

She failed to qualify for Nationals twice and does not have a minimum TES for the Olympics. She has no right to make the Olympic team at all. She knows it. But in the interview that Sylvia found for us, she says she is wishing to make it. What can we say??

4. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Why does this matter to you so much?

5. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing.

That was like saying "What is the point of anybody going to Japanese Nationals that does not have a minimum TES?" Furthermore, a minimum TES can be earned at the Ice Challenge Graz or Golden Spin Zagreb, if it comes down to that.

Maybe there is fear of a 2008 scenario. It is really really ... really far fetched, but she does have the proven capacity.

When people make political comments like that it really hurts the credibility of the "sport".

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I third that question. Starting and maintaining a whole thread just to revel in someone else's setbacks is kind of sad.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Because she is old and still using her parents' money when they want her to quit, choreograhed by Lori Nichol, flying around too much to train, and she only marks 102.53 at a Canada's local game losing to unknown skaters. That's such a waste and she is not gonna get what she wants by keeping competing. I used to like her so don't wanna see her expose something like that.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Is there a documented public quote that Suguri's parents want her to quit?

Suguri is scheduled to compete at JPN Regionals (which block? Tokyo?). Either she will advance to a Sectional (East?) or she won't. I see no reason why she can't try.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  9. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I have no idea if Fumie has any chance of finishing top3 at Japanese Nationals, but if she is good enough to do that, then posting qualifying TES scores somewhere should be pretty easy.

Still, I kind of sympathize with those who find her endless chasing of an increasingly impossible dream to be kind of sad. Fumie was a lovely skater in her day, but that was a long time ago.

10. tkaug

tkaug New Member

This weekend, she is scheduled to compete at JPN Regionals of Tokyo block where she will probably qualify for the East Japan Sectional. Top 10 finishers from East/ West East Japan Sectional qualified for Nationals last year, but this year top 6 finishers from East and top 14 finishers from West will qualify so she will have to finish top 6 at East Japan Sectional this year to qualify for Nationals.

11. Sylvia

Thanks for the info. How it is determined that the "top 6 finishers from East and top 14 finishers from West will qualify" for Nationals this year?

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

It's that time of the year again when I have to hold my breath and brace myself everytime I open this thread.

13. tkaug

tkaug New Member

It is determined by the results for the last season's Nationals.
    They are representatives of their sections(East Japan or West Japan) and top 15 finishers(excluding seed skaters. Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami were the seed skaters of the last season) gain spots for their sections. When we look at the result for 2012-2013 Japanese Nationals, there are 12 skaters from the West and 3 skaters from the East finishing top 15. Both sections have 3 spots to begin with.
    Therefore, top 6 finishers from the East and top 15 finishers from the West will qualify for Nationals this season.

http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2012-2013/fs_j/national/data029.htm

There were some mistakes with what I wrote.

Top 10 finishers from the East and top 11 finishers from the West qualified for Nationals last season.

this year top 6 finishers from the East and top 15 finishers from the West will qualify for Nationals.

14. Sylvia

I'm interested in how National qualification works for all countries so thank you very much for the explanation. :) I will re-post what you wrote in the JPN National Qualifying Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry.

15. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

You know, I tell 32 year old people all the time about what they should do and how they should do it. And it is SHOCKING the amount of times they ignore me and do what they "think is best for their lives". This is rude, inconsiderate and selfish. MUCH like Fumie Suguri who is apparently sneaking her way into her mother's purse and father's wallet when these overburdened parents have their backs turned. I am so deeply saddened I need to go buy a box of twinkies. :fragile:

antmanb and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think a parent never loses the right to give advice and the kid should always at least listen. How much the kid takes the advice is another question.

IMO it depends a lot on who is paying the bills. If the 32 yo is self-supporting, then, yeah, they are free to ignore Mom & Dad. If, however, Mom and Dad are still paying the bills, then IMO they do get a say. Particularly in the case of something like skating, any parents are entitled to decide when to stop paying for such non-essentials, whether the kid is 12, 22 or 32. Parents especially have a right to stop giving monetary support to their adult offspring or to place conditions on that support.

I don't know where Fumie's monetary support comes from. I would agree with the sentiment that nobody else gets a say in how long she keeps skating as long as she is supporting herself or as long as her parents are willing and able to keep paying her bills. If, OTOH, those expenses are causing a strain on her parents or if they no longer want to keep paying for her skating, then IMO she is being selfish to continue.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  17. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

You have inside information on this or can you provide a link to an article or interview featuring her family's innermost feelings regarding Fumie's continued skating?

I didn't know what happened to Zelda Fitzgerald due to the fact that I've never heard of her but I'm intrigued!

It is sad that Fumie just doesn't want to seem to call her career a career and move on. But it's her life and she'll skate if she wants to! And if she can afford to then more power to her.

:rofl:

:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

i don't think Suguri is wearing fur to the ice rink a la Zelda, but Suguri has a corporate sponsor, and as long as they are willing to pay for her training and expenses, she can continue to attempt to be competitive.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

LOL is this even a serious suggestion. Maybe if she wears a wig and enters the 65 and over Japanese category she could place top 3 (although even that would be doubtful at this point).

20. tkaug

tkaug New Member

She had a short program at Tokyo Regional competition yesterday and finished 7th with 39.23.
    2F step out, 3T fall, 2A. Unknown about the rotations and other elements.
    I will update the score details whenever the protocols are up.

21. Kelvster

Oh dear ... It's gonna be touch and go I guess whether she makes it through regionals? :(

22. bardtoob

Per this article from August 2013, she is on the payroll of a company as their skating team. Her job is literally to train.

I do not know anybody who would turn down an opportunity like that, even if retirement from anything is inevitable.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  23. tkaug

tkaug New Member

She had a free program today and marked 76.33, finishing 6th overall with 115.56. There were a few skaters who were exempted from doing this game so her place would have been lower with them. I dought she will finish top 6 at East Japan Sectional to qualify for Nationals.

24. Kelvster

Thank you. Would be interested in knowing what she landed.

Sounds from the jump content of the short programme that she really still wants to remain competitive (flips and toe loops) but is physically unable to do the jumps any more ...

25. alchemy void

alchemy void Running away from POTO

Fumie Suguri is Zelda Fitzgerald?!? :rofl: Most randomly mad comparison evah! :cheer:

What a great concept for her 2014-2015 LP! :kickass:

26. bardtoob

Does likening Fumie to Zelda Fitzgerald constitute an official nomination for Gay Icon of the Year? :glamor:

... this is Fumie's proverbial year to make her own costume, put on a tiara, and skate to Moon River.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  27. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Louis and (deleted member) like this.
  28. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

29. Kelvster

dear oh dear I thought it would be a "safe bet" that she would proceed smoothly to nationals, by going back to arguably her best programme of all time (Moonlight Sonata) ... but she has not been able to land one single triple cleanly in this entire competition and she could only manage one clean double axel in the short programme .... :(

30. tkaug

tkaug New Member

So do you still think she should not listen to her parents with this kind of result?
    I would agree with you if she didn't use their money to keep competing.
    It's normal for everyone that they lose physical abilities as they get older.
    If you want to maintain them, you have to work really hard.
    But to look at her posts on Twitter or her blog, she looks like she's just playing around.
    She thinks it is because the financial problem that she doesn't do well, but it really isn't.