Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. tkaug

tkaug New Member

5. To be entered into and participate in the Olympic Winter Games a Competitor/Couple must have reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38, paragraph 7 and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season the applicable minimum Total Technical Score (points) established for the ISU Championships (see Rule 378, paragraph 3).

Is she aware of the rule above?
    Since she didn't even qualify for the nationals, she is most likely not sent to any international competition next season, so the door for her to make the Olympic team is literally shut down already.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Not necessarily. If the ISU allows skaters to be comeback skaters, guaranteed two GP's if they've been in the Top 6 of any World Championship in the last decade, regardless of whether they've competed in subsequent seasons -- like Weir, this year -- including World Championships -- unlike Weir this year -- then Suguri would be entitled to two GP's, were the Japanese Federation to submit her name for GP consideration.

All of this is assuming that they have minimum TES for the Olympics. Yes, it is written in Rule 378 paragraph 3, but it was also written in the Rules that there would be no minimum score for Jr. Worlds, and the ISU invoked their "We can change it without approval of the voting members whenever we want to" clause when they released the minimum TES for the year. The ISU could change this, because they need to field a specific number of skaters in each event, and they already have a process for that: X spots for each discipline at prior Worlds, and total field-X spots (unless the host doesn't qualify any) at the Olympic qualifier.

3. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

Attention please!
    This event is not the Japan Nationals but 'the figure skating event in the national sports festival of Japan' which is not the official competition of Japan Skating Federation. It's Olympics-like event in Japan domestic. Of course, it is not 'the qualifying competition for Japan Nationals' which is the theme of this thread, too.

Therefore, the place in this event is unrelated to 'the Japan Representative to the Worlds' in any meaning.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  4. midori

midori Well-Known Member

I hope this thread gets closed, because it is not just about Fumie anymore and most discussion and competitive results should go to other appropriate threads, like Japanese skater/skating news & updates.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

(stop poking the trolls...and back away...slowly...)

(shhhhhh......)

6. tkaug

tkaug New Member

She is not a comeback skater, she was just not sent to any international games for a while because of a lack of capability, so I'm not sure if it is the case for her that she will be guaranteed 2 GP entries for the next season.

7. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

she still may have the triple lutz but the rest of the skating skills have declined so sharply that she really is no longer world class to be invited to a GP.. maybe someone can invite her to dinner or something...

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

That might be your view, but it may not be the ISU's.

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Plus, if by some miracle she has fantastic results at domestic summer competitions, she may become a last minute entry to some minor internationals - and if she wins / medals at those, she may suddenly get a host pick at NHK or some other internationals where she will have more chances to get those minimum scores. Then if she gets a bye to Nationals due to conflicting schedule or qualifies for Nationals, then she will have a legit chance for a Sochi spot just like other Japanese ladies who have reached minimum scores.

Worse comes to worst, if she makes top three at Nationals (against all odds) but hasn't achieved a minimum score, JPN Fed, if it wants, can always send her out to some small European competition in Europe in January to earn them.

And those are some very big IFs. :p

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah Marco and the next Pope will be a black woman. ;)

(Called Lashiniqua :glamor:)

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  11. tkaug

tkaug New Member

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  12. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

What does Fumie have to do in order to make the Olympics. Does she have a chance, like even tiny maybe 5% or so.

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

No

14. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yes

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Probability cannot be negative. It can, however, be close enough to 0 to be considered statistically insignificant. Fumie's chances of getting to Sochi are closer to the latter, but I say more power to her for trying.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I love her! Go Fumie,go!

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Do you like that SP? :confused:

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Has she found a sponsor yet?

19. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I like HER. :)

20. tkaug

tkaug New Member

21. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Are you just finding things about Fumie Suguri just so you can bash her?

ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. tkaug

tkaug New Member

I'm just pointing the difference between what she says and what she does because she doesn't seem to be aware at all.

23. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I guess that depends on how prepared she was for this event and how much more reliable her triples will be by decision time. I don't know how the Japanese team is selected, but she cannot hope to place top 3 at her Nationals doubling and stepping out of her jumps. There are way too many other Japanese ladies who can out jump her at this point. IMO she has always been a graceful skater and pleasant to watch, but the rest of her skating is not so awesomely superior to overtake skaters who outjump her by a good margin and she cannot really expect all but 2 will suddenly fall apart and make lots of mistakes.

24. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Miki Ando was given a chance to make the Olympic team in Sochi by the JSU that she could be sent to an international B competition in order to meet the minimum TES depending on the result of a regional game that she will be doing, but I haven't heard anything like that for Suguri.

25. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

26. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

And evar.

Hell, I'm one of those oddballs who really likes this.

27. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Nothing odd about it, Fumie's Otonal was one of the best. And thanks for including her brilliantly choreographed and edgy Carmen Fantasy.

28. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

Wow. She really had grace and speed and everything. I wish her all the best.

29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I've never been a massive Suguri fan, but watching this I was surprised at how high her jumps looked. I'd never particularly thought of her as a big jumper, but she got great height on all of the jumps she showed there.

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member