Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. tkaug

tkaug New Member

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

What does Fumie have to do in order to make the Olympics. Does she have a chance, like even tiny maybe 5% or so.
  3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

No
  4. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yes
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Probability cannot be negative. It can, however, be close enough to 0 to be considered statistically insignificant. Fumie's chances of getting to Sochi are closer to the latter, but I say more power to her for trying.
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I love her! Go Fumie,go!
  7. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Do you like that SP? :confused:
  8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Has she found a sponsor yet?
  9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I like HER. :)
  10. tkaug

tkaug New Member

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Are you just finding things about Fumie Suguri just so you can bash her?
    ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. tkaug

tkaug New Member

I'm just pointing the difference between what she says and what she does because she doesn't seem to be aware at all.
  13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I guess that depends on how prepared she was for this event and how much more reliable her triples will be by decision time. I don't know how the Japanese team is selected, but she cannot hope to place top 3 at her Nationals doubling and stepping out of her jumps. There are way too many other Japanese ladies who can out jump her at this point. IMO she has always been a graceful skater and pleasant to watch, but the rest of her skating is not so awesomely superior to overtake skaters who outjump her by a good margin and she cannot really expect all but 2 will suddenly fall apart and make lots of mistakes.
  14. tkaug

tkaug New Member

Miki Ando was given a chance to make the Olympic team in Sochi by the JSU that she could be sent to an international B competition in order to meet the minimum TES depending on the result of a regional game that she will be doing, but I haven't heard anything like that for Suguri.
  15. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

16. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

And evar.

Hell, I'm one of those oddballs who really likes this.
  17. Dr.Siouxs

Nothing odd about it, Fumie's Otonal was one of the best. And thanks for including her brilliantly choreographed and edgy Carmen Fantasy.
  18. Shyjosie

Shyjosie New Member

Wow. She really had grace and speed and everything. I wish her all the best.
  19. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I've never been a massive Suguri fan, but watching this I was surprised at how high her jumps looked. I'd never particularly thought of her as a big jumper, but she got great height on all of the jumps she showed there.
  20. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

21. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This really was her last strong skate.
  22. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I'll always say Fumie was robbed of a higher placement after the SP at the Olympics. I would have placed her (and some other skaters) above Sarah Hughes.
  23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

In 2002? Sure. I really would have had her as high as third behind Kwan and Cohen, but ahead of Slutskaya, Sebestyen and Butyrskaya.
  24. antmanb

2002 was a tough SP to mark since an overwhelming majority of the ladies skated clean.

I always remember thinking Meier was robbed since she was one of the few ladies that had steps directly into her solo jump without a pause.
  25. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, I'm one of those oddballs, too, because I really love that program. Thanks for sharing, falling_dance. I wish there was an applause emoticon. :)
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Kwan had a flutz, cheated her triple flip quite considerably and was clearly off-beat during her step sequence. /nitpick mode :p

But yeah Suguri should have definitely placed higher than she did.

Given the majority of ladies skated "clean" (one of the best Ladies SPs ever!) and this was before CoP, it was extremely hard to judge. The results we got were quite crazy. I mean how did Hughes manage to place so high with her cheated, shaky jumps, weak basics and generally not being at the level of many other skaters, I will never know. Home ice advantage maybe?
  27. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Three criticisms of Kwan, and you're "nitpicking".

Three, possibly four criticisms of Hughes (including the very vague "generally not being at the level of many other skaters"), and it's "crazy" and you can't understand it.

Not very well argued, Ziggy. :p
  28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's interesting that although Irina tended to dominate in the SP portion of her competitions, she never won the SP at any of her three Olympics. Ok the first one didn't really count as Irina wasn't at her peak yet.

Even though my favorite skater never won the Olympics, I do like that she did win the Olympics twice....in the short program. :p
  29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Also in 2006. She should have been above Shizuka's snoozefest of a short program in 3rd place, but instead wound up a whopping 5 points back of Shizuka, who was ridiculously tied with the much superior performances of both Cohen and Slutskaya. Suguri's short was actually my favorite of the Games, although objectively I cant say it should be placed above Irina or Sasha. Shizuka must have really blown the judges away in practice to get that score in the short.
  30. tkaug

tkaug New Member

I disagree.
    Suguri's jumps were fine but there was a clear difference between Suguri and the medalists in terms of the levels and qualities of spins, steps, and spirals both in short and free. Arakawa really worked on it after losing to Suguri at the nationals while Suguri didn't although there were many things she could have improved.

By the way, I posted this thread to discuss what Suguri is now, not her past?
  31. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

That was excellent.
  32. Dr.Siouxs

:respec: OP
  33. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Missed ya, Zigs. But yes, Kwan was so clearly better than the rest that I would still have her in first based on the second mark despite the flawed 3flip. If I recall correctly she was one of the few top skaters to put the 3flip so late in the program.

Hughes' scoring at Worlds and Olympics all those years have always been unfortunate. I hate that she was almost 'encouraged' to stand up on cheated 3/3s whereas someone like Nagasu was forced to clean up her solo jumps even though hers were probably better than Hughes'.
  34. antmanb

:confused: Didn't Hughes and Nagasu compete under different systems? I thought Nagasu (and Zhang) were touted as The.Next.Big.Thing. while they competed under 6.0 and then COP came along and their jumps were no longer what people thought they were.
  35. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That's what I meant. Nagasu was born 6 years too late, or Hughes 6 years too early. Nagasu was a much better skater but somehow timing made Hughes an Olympic Champ but Nagasu could only make Worlds once. They had the same deadly weakness.

Anyway I don't think Zhang and Nagasu came about until 2006/7 in juniors and by then COP had already been in place for a couple of years already.
  36. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Slutskaya 4th or lower in the short in SLC. Your posts are always great for a laugh.
  37. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Hughes had one big advantage over Mirai and that she was one tough cookie as a competitor. I never saw fear in her eyes as a skater even as a 13 year old at Sr Worlds.
  38. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Finally this thread is in its rightful place! :cheer:

You really need the vague being elaborated? I mean it's Sarah Hughes. Sarah. Hughes. The Margaret Thatcher of figure skating. :D She was slouching. Not a single movement was extended. She wasn't even trying (not only weren't the toes and fingers never pointed but she didn't even straighten her arms and legs). A flutz off a deep inside edge cheated over 1/4. A short break after footwork before the 3flip which was slightly cheated and two-footed. The layback was slightly off-centred. Her edges weren't particularly deep or stable and some of her crossovers were quite laboured.

2axel was solid but given that most of the Ladies stayed upright on everything, her overall quality just wasn't there to place her inside the top 10, let alone 3rd! Not anywhere near.
  39. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Don't patronise me Ziggy; I've got enough problems already.

She was fourth, not third.
  40. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It was meant to be repetition with hysteric emphasis for comedic effect but things like that are hard to put across in writing alone. ;P

Of course, my bad.