Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals again

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tkaug, Nov 7, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. tkaug

tkaug Member

She had a press conference after the Olympics in 2010 saying she needed 20 million yen a year for the training and that she would retire if she couldn't find a sponsor.
    Although I don't know how much they actually paid, she has found a company who would sponsor her until the next Olympics in 2014. They ended the contract in 2 years instead of 4. I'm really curious how she spent and wonder if a skater at her level really needs that much money to train. Even with that money, she didn't even qualify for the nationals. I just can't imagine she will find someone who would sponsor what she is now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

According to today's currency converter, that's $219,891.64 a year.

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She doesn't need that money much. She was also talking about how expensive it is to rent a private ice time. I am sorry but you don't need to rent a private ice to practice. you can practice with other skaters on the ice. She is just spoiled and delusional.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Oh but it's so fun! Trying hard to convince yourself that there are people out there (ie. Suguri) who are even more miserable than you. No, I am not the biggest loser, look at Suguri!

6. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Truest thing I've read all year. Poor Fumie...

7. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

That's true for daily practice, but it's not uncommon for high-ranked skaters to have several hours of private ice time for choreography. It's a lot easier to work on placing elements and figure out ice coverage when you're not constantly stopping to make way for other skaters who have the right of way during a session, either for a run-through or during lessons of their own. And then depending on far apart you and your choreographer live, a program might just need to get done in a few days, so you would need private ice time. Private ice is around $400-$500/hour where I live in the US. Just pointing out private ice is sometimes a reasonable and necessary expense...Did Fumie say she only wants to train on private ice, or did she mention it as an additional expense on top of regular FS sessions?

Having said all that, I do agree $200,000 a year is a lot, though.

8. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

The fact is she is no longer a high ranked skater. She didn't even qualify for the national. She wasn't talking about having a private ice to work with a choreographer. She was talking about having it for every day practice therefore she would need a sponsor.

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Poor, poor, poor Fumie.

10. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

What the £¥¢& is she doing with that kind of money?!? Any sponsor willing to give her that would be nuts...no offense, Fumie. But really, there are top-level skaters who can't get anything close to that!

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Poooooooooooooooooooooooooor Fumie. :(

12. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She would be so good in the adult division.

13. tkaug

tkaug Member

14. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Not making it to Nationals last year doesn't mean she couldn't get back this season. Her technical content in the short was actually very reasonable -and that overall score would have placed her 7th after the short at this year's Nationals. Her choreography is a disaster area for now and she definitely needs a lot of help with that. I would think a midpack skater in a strong country like Japan would still qualify as high-ranked.

That is unreasonable. Akiko trains on a few busy freestyle sessions every day, so you'd think Fumie could do the same. It would make a lot more sense to ask for something like $50,000 in sponsorship money instead of the current astronomical amount.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  15. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

LMFAO!!! WORK!!!

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Biggest put down of the thread so far. ;P

17. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I would love someone to sponsor me to skate. Hey it would be even better if they sponsored me to live in the style I could quickly become accustomed to having.

And no-one needs whole rink to themselves to do choreography. Having the coach holding the tape player works just as well.

18. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Is there a link about all of this or are people just trying to remember an announcement from three years ago?

19. tkaug

tkaug Member

20. tkaug

tkaug Member

21. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Thank you.

22. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

And now she's asking for $220K for sponsorships?????? She not only lost all her skills, she lost her mind. WHO in the feck ASKS for that kind of money? I'd think Gracie or Ashley would do just fine with that kind of sponsorship, but Fumie???? Poor Fumie..... delusional as always. Poor poor Fumie. Totally has descended below reality.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  23. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I believe Gracie comes from a wealthy family (her good fortune) that seemingly has no problem financing two daughters' skating ambitions. When I read how much it cost to train for a year, I wonder if the skaters aren't being gouged.

24. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Aren't some people tired of beating up on Fumie by now? Especially if they claim their lives are so good in comparison?

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wonder if the other sister (Karly?) has any resentment toward Gracie's success. I noticed when they showed Karly on NBC during US Nats, she has a TOTALLY different body type than Gracie.

26. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

She tweeted that she has never been prouder of Gracie after the free skate so I doubt there's any resentment. I'm sure she realized a while ago that she's the Karen to Gracie's Michelle.

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I figured the warm-up had just concluded and now that our knives are sharpened, we could begin with the brutal gossip honesty.

Well...yes, I know Karly says she is proud of Gracie. But when she says she is "proud" of her...what does she really mean? Who can truly understand the inner workings of a stranger's family?? (Hey, if we can trash Fumie, we can certainly do so of the Golds when they force their way into somebody else's thread, right??)

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

You really meant to post that Carly Gold (not Karly) is Chika Suguri to Gracie's Fumie, right? ;) BTW, an improving Carly Gold was 5th in Senior at Midwestern Sectionals and Mids first alternate to 2013 U.S. Nationals... just like Fumie Suguri was 11th in the Eastern section qualifying competition, 0.4 point away from 10th place (top 10 qualified for Nationals).

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The question isn't what Suguri's request is converted to any other currency, unless she's planning to train outside Japan. The questions are what that amount means in terms of earning power and training costs in Japan and is it an amount sponsors typically give.

Can anyone from or familiar with Japan put this in context?

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

My life is terrible. But Fumie's is so much worse buahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. *beats the dead horse harder*