Fumie Suguri failed to qualify for Japanese Nationals 2011

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by tkaug, Nov 8, 2011.

1. tkaug

tkaug Member

Fumie Suguri competed in East Japan Championship 2011 last weekend, where the top 10 competitors will qualify for Japanese Nationals in December, and she was 12th overall(SP 33.70/11th and FS 61.36/16th). Therefore, she will not be able to compete in Japanese Nationals.

The level of East Japan Championship is so much lower than that of West Japan Championship(she would have been 22nd in West Japan Championship), but she still couldn't make it in the top 10.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

East Japan Championship 2011

ttp://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/2011-2012/fs_j/east/index.htm

West Japan Championship 2011

ttp://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/2011-2012/fs_j/west/index.htm

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Those are miserable numbers.

Poor Fumie. :(

3. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

She should skate at adult competitions a la Midori Ito.

BTW, how did Ito score at her recent competition? She did better than Suguri, correct?

4. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Someone on GS said that she was skating on a sprained right ankle... :(

5. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

Well, injury or not, I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later. She has been dropping in the rankings for some time.

6. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

...This is just very painful to read...

7. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:(

8. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Yeah, looking at her FS protocols, it sure sounds like she was injured. No triples attempted, mistakes on doubles, low levels, elements not counted. Why would she even skate with a sprained ankle :(

9. tkaug

tkaug Member

10. tkaug

tkaug Member

The level of East Japan Championship is so much lower than that of West Japan Championship(she would have been 22nd in West Japan Championship), but she still couldn't make it in the top 10.

11. ks1227

ks1227 Well-Known Member

I think Fumie should skate as long as she wants to, but she can be proud of her longevity no matter what. I just went back to look at the Ladies roster for the 2002 World Championships in Nagano, where (I think) she won her first World medal (bronze). As far as I can tell, she's the only woman from that competition who is still skating (not sure about a few of the lower ranking skaters who didn't make it to the Free Skate).

When Fumie won her second bronze the next year, Kostner made her Worlds debut and ended up in tenth. She's still around of course. And Jenna McCorkell was also there in 2003. Still, most of the 2003 Worlds skaters are no longer skating competitively, either.

And Fumie's first appearance at Worlds was way back in Lausanne in 1996-97! :eek:

12. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

It's interesting to see that her first time competing at Japanese Sr. Nationals was in '95-'96. Where she competed with Midori Ito :D

13. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  14. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

sorry to ask that maybe stupid question:

but why has she to qualify? she was 7th in her last nationals!
    isn´t there anything like a by for a top finisher? or is 7th just not good enough?

15. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Poor Fumie. :( :fragile:

Why does this amuse you?

16. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Only the medallists are seeded. Everybody else has to qualify unless they get a bye like Shoko Ishikawa and Akiko Suzuki are getting because they skate at NHK Trophy this week.

17. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks.
    just the medalists? wow, that´s hard.
    so miki ando should have gone through the qualification system last season?
    (i guess she isn´t because of her grand prix events) that´s funny :D

18. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Fumie seems to be a clear example of somebody for whom the sport becomes something they aren't able to let go.

Possibly because she didn't develop anything else in her life.

Watching her compete last season was extremely painful. She was clearly on a steep, downward slope.

I will always remember her Worlds silver medal performance (she should have got gold over Meissner and her cheats :mad:). And I will try to erase the last unsuccessful seasons from my memory.

Because at her best, Fumie was a beautiful beautiful skater.

I just wish she was able to channel her love of skating into a passion for coaching instead of embarassing herself more and more at competitions. She really doesn't deserve to be remembered for being brutally forced out, not even being able to make Nationals.

VIETgrlTerifa, DBZ, Kasey and 3 others like this.
  19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Mate :respec:

And if she had won, she would probably have retired, with a world title, 2 world bronze medals and 2 very respective, close to medal Olympic outings.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  20. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I feel bad for Fumie. I have always liked her. I hope she will never lose her love of skating. Maybe she will consider coaching a new generation of skaters.

21. shah

shah Shhh...

this is just heartbreaking :(.
    btw, who is her coach now? and does anyone know her music choices that season?
    I'd love to see her programmes during any competition, but it seems so unlikely :(...

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Anybody knows of a way to transliterate the Japanese into Roman alphabet WITHOUT translating?

Because if I use Google Translate, the Senior Ladies results become:

1. Well now much
    2. Beautiful high mountain Mutsumi
    3. Friends of the cone W

Fumie Suguri is Village main branch chapter. :p

23. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

There is no way to do it Ziggy. One character can be read several ways and sometimes when giving names to children parents make up their own ways too. :p

24. tkaug

tkaug Member

Are you talking about the top 3 ladies at East Japan Championships?

1. Haruka Imai
    2. Mutsumi Takayama
    3. Yuki Nishino

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

26. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Fumie had a great run and has blessed us with many beautiful performances. Now it's time to coach, choreograph, inspire a new generation.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ah yes, of course. Forgot about it.

Fortunately, as Sylvia said, there is an English version of all the major National results too on the JSF site.

28. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

Apparently she had since tweeted she will retire only after she has skated one last good performance she can approve of. Though if her ankle really is sprained, it's just as well she won't be skating at Nationals; she'll have to try for that performance when she's in better shape.

29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for her but I fully expected this to happen, injury or no injury. Her ranking has been dropping where she will become a regional level skater at best if she continues. She really has stayed in amateur skating WAY too long. She should have gone pro or retired after missing the 2007 Worlds at the latest. She could have been a nice show skater or choreographer.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Fumie, that performance just won't happen. You need to let go! :/