Fumie still competing today if she won bronze at 06 Olympics and gold at 06 Worlds

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, Dec 29, 2012.

?

Would Fumie still be competing today had she medaled at 06 Olympics and won 06 Worlds

1. no, she would have stopped competing as an amateur after 2007 at the latest

23.8%
  2. no, she would have stopped competing by now, but still would have gone until 2010

21.4%
  3. she would have stopped competing had she done just one of those two things, not even both

28.6%
  4. even had she done both she would still be out there competing

26.2%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The Fumie Suguri thread got me thinking. I personally think had she won the Olympic bronze in Turin and the World gold in Calgary, both which given how the competitions went down might have been within her reach had she done her ultimately most spectacular performance, she might be happily retired today rather than plogging along, now in regional competiions in Japan. Would she have turned pro, at the latest after the 2007 Worlds or Nationals, had she achieved just 1 of those 2 things. What do you think

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think she would have still continued until 2010, trying for more, but I think she would have stopped then as that was the point when she started having trouble getting out of her own country. IIRC, the last time she was on the GP series was the fall of 2009?

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Intersting to see only a mere 20% think she would still be competing. So basically the consensus of the vast majority is she is putting herself through this hell simply because she didnt win an Olympic medal and World title, and came so close. One has to wonder about her mindset though, why would her continuing now have anything to do with those things. There isnt even a tiny part of her that thinks goals like that are still in reach is there, lol (and that is truly a scary thought if there is).

5. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Wow. 22 votes. What a vast majority.

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, I have no idea. I don't have the feeling that she is still competing to win a World title or Olympic medal.
    I admire the fact that she wants to compete, but it's so weird, since when she is skating in competition, it doesn't seem she is enjoying it ! lol

7. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I actually think that she does still feel she's competing to get a world or Olympic medal.. after all didn't she say Sochi was her goal? I think she thinks somehow some miracle will occur and she will suddenly be as good as she was in 2006 again. She probably believes this is just a "low period" for her.