FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I've posted this before - Speedy Ratatouille.

I would also dice and drizzle with olive oil, and either grill, bake in the oven or sauti, and then toss with pasta and your best olive oil, with freshly grated romano and pepper (or perhaps goat cheese, to take an ingredient from the recipe above).

succubus and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Aimless

Aimless New Member

I absolutely love *almost* all vegetables. Zucchini and yellow squash are the exceptions. So you might think about doing what my father once did with a bumper crop. He loaded up the car, drove to the mall, and threw a squash into every car he saw that had an open window.

succubus and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mkats

mkats New Member

4. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for these recipes! Going to try all of them, as each one sounds excellent.

Then, in early September, we can always take a nice trip to the mall parking lot :rollin: ;)

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks for this - must try...

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I made lasagna tonight but instead of layering it I just laid out each lasagna noodle and topped it with the sauce and cheeses and then rolled it up. It gives you perfect serving sizes and you don't have those super messy first few cuts out of the pan. Another Pinterest find. So obvious but something I never thought about.

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've created a delicious orzo salad recipe, I don't have precise sizes for all the ingredients but will give it my best guess. It's not that important, the key being to add the ingredients to the orzo as you would the ingredients for any macaroni salad to make a nice blend:

1 1/2 cups orzo uncooked = 4 cups cooked = 2-4 servings depending on the meal

sun-dried tomatoes (about 1/4 cup cut up - I use scissors to cut them)

slice artichokes from one small can/bottle, I use a small bottle about 6 ounces in size.

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted brown in the oven or in a frying pan

grilled/sliced chicken, one breast approximately

garlic chives or green onion - mix in a liberal sprinkle

Dressing:

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 tsp. dijon mustard
    1-2 teaspoons pressed/chopped garlic

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sounds yummy Japanfan! If this is your style of cooking, you'll probably love Mark Bittman's recipes - although not entirely meatless, he favours dishes like this, and always offers a lot of options and ideas. I love the Food Matters cookbook, and he has many others in addition to appearing regularly in the NY Times.

I actually planned a full week of meals on the weekend :saint: (one of those great ideas that I rarely actually ever do), and last night was Swedish meatballs with egg noodles and a herby salad (tried to be Scandanavianish there - tomatoes, cucumbers, bit of green pepper and green onions, lots of parsley, some dried dill and seasoned pepper, plus lemon and olive oil).

Challenge was no lingonberry jam at the supermarket (like IKEA), so I ended up rehydrating some dried cranberries in warm water with a bit of lemon juice and baharat seasoning (spicy cinnamony blend from the Middle East) - and it worked!

9. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, I was already hungry. Now, I'm famished! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Japanfan! I'll definitely try it. :)

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

A friend served this recipe when I was visiting last week, and it was delish. Basically a crustless quiche, and since I don't really dig pastry, I prefer crustless. Plus I'm always looking for ways to use lots of tomatoes at this time of year.

Asiago and Tomato Pie

I made it last night but didn't have enough eggs, so I made a half size and cooked it in muffin tins. Just as tasty, easier to cook evenly in the toaster oven, and easier to pack for lunch the next day. (reduced the cooking time to about 25 min)

11. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

At last I have found THE banana bread recipe. THE recipe has eluded me again and again, I just found that the homemade bread while delicious, never quite compared to that squiggy, fragrant, dark and unctuous slab you can get at the good bakery.

It's the smittenkitchen.com version with a twist: I melt the butter until it's browned. And do not over bake it! If you're always on the lookout for a good banana bread recipe I urge you to give this one a try:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/speckled-for-the-freckled/

12. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, jl22aries. :)

This was one of my dad's recipes.

Stuffed Eggplant

4 small to medium eggplants
    1/2 lb. ground chuck
    1 chopped onion
    1 chopped bell pepper
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 tbs. garlic powder
    1 tsp. celery seed
    1 tsp. parsley flakes
    1 stick of margarine

Wack off one slice on each of the eggplants. Scoop out pulp. Chop and mix the pulp with other ingredients, and brown in 1/2 stick of margarine.

After browned, add 1/4 cup of cream and 1/2 can of 'cream of mushroom' soup to mixture, and fill eggplants.

Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes (until egg plants are tender).

Crumble up one slice of bread and fry in the other half of the melted margarine. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture with Parmesan cheese and put on top of eggplants.

13. jl

jl Well-Known Member

Eggplants! I love nasu dengaku, myself (miso-glazed grilled eggplant).

This is one of the better recipes of it I've run into.

http://momofukufor2.com/2010/06/nasu-dengaku-miso-glazed-eggplant-recipe/

It is perfect with steamed rice because it is a dense and flavorful dish! I also have used this glaze on large cubes of firm tofu as well.

Another great dish with eggplants is oop (a steamed eggplant/pork/dried shrimp curry-like dish). It's found in a book called "Hot Sour Salty Sweet", as found here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/01/d...ong-the-mekong-river.html?pagewanted=2&src=pm

I hate eggplants for the most part but these make me love them! :)

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

This summer, I've adapted a Provençal eggplant recipe that I found on line: http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/recettes-provencales/recette-camargue.htm#.UCxpvallQhQ

Here's my version:

4 small eggplant
    4 oz. oyster mushrooms (optional -- my addition)
    1 oz. butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic
    1 small tomato (or tomato sauce of paste)
    1 small can anchovy filets in oil
    1 tablespoons capers
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    salt
    pepper

Wash and dry the eggplants, cut them into pieces, salt them and let drain (for up to an hour, if necessary). Fry in butter and oil with anchovies and finely chopped garlic. Add tomato, mushrooms, parsley, and capers.

15. Artemis@BC

My two all-time favourite eggplant recipes:

Szechuan Eggplant Spread

1 large eggplant
    2 tbsp (25 mL) soy sauce
    2 tbsp (25 mL) brown sugar
    1 tsp (5 mL) rice vinegar
    1 tbsp (15 mL) water
    1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped ginger root
    4 green onions, chopped
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) oriental chili paste
    1 tsp (5 mL) oriental sesame oil

Place eggplant in baking dish and pierce in a few places. Bake in preheated oven 425 F (220 C) oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tender. Cool. Peel eggplant and chop finely. (I often cook the eggplant in the microwave instead.)

In small bowl, combine soy sauce with sugar, vinegar, and water. In wok or skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, 2 tbsp. (25 mL) green onions and chili paste. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add soy sauce mixture, and when bubbling, add eggplant. Stir to combine well. Heat thoroughly.

Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil. Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with remaining green onions. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Tastes wonderful on sesame crackers, or it can be served as a sauce with veggies or rice. Makes approximately 1 1/2 cups (375 mL)

----

Eggplant-Walnut Pate

My note on the above: The first time I made this one, I found the garlic & ginger initially too strong (which I didn't think was possible!). So I added 1/2 cup more walnuts, 1/2 a Granny Smith apple, and some lemon juice. Result = delicious!

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Soon it will be crockpot season :)

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That eggplant thing sounds amazing. Going to try! Thank you! :)

18. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Wanted to share this because it went over so big with hubby last night: we're doing our best to not be wasteful and to keep food costs down, so we're all about using up leftovers and making sure veggies don't end up going bad before we get to them.

We had some really good homemade spaghetti sauce left over (with a bit of beef from a frozen plain burger that was in the back of the freezer!), and I had a big bunch of spinach that needed to get eaten pronto, so I fashioned a sort of pastitsio - kind of a Greek lasagna with bechamel topping. I mixed the sauce into macaroni noodles, put half in a casserole, layered spinach that I cooked with garlic and then the other half of the pasta, then a layer of white sauce to which I had added a bit of mild cheese (Monteray Jack was all I had in that category) and an egg. Baked it, served it with Greek salad, and voila! Hubby swooned :)

The whole thing took me about 30 mins to put together, another 30 mins in the oven, and the only thing that I had to buy was milk.

21. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Artemis@BC - I am going to try and your schezuan mixture on some steamed green beans tomorrow. (I have a lemon that has been sitting a while as well, so I may add some lemon juice for some extra acidity on top of the mixture when it's done.) :rollin:

22. Artemis@BC

^ I hope you like it as much as I do. :)

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I wish someone would send me some squash - I lurves baked squash with a little cheese on top.

24. Artemis@BC

Squash is so plentiful and cheap right now, I love it. I always cook up some extra at this time of year and freeze it for later. Made a curried squash & walnut soup the other day that was heavenly.

And last night I made one of my standbys: squash quesadilla. Basically mash some squash (and I added a little soft tofu since I had extra to use up), season with garlic, green onion, cilentro (optional, since I know there are haters out there), and cumin, maybe finely diced red pepper if you have any on hand. Stir in some grated cheese. Spread between 2 whole wheat tortillas, and brush with oil; pan fry til golden on both sides. Cut into wedges and serve with your favourite condiment. Last night I had it with an amazing smoked tomato salsa that I got at a farmer's market. Mmmm.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

No Thanksgiving thread so far this year :( I'm a big fan of American Thanksgiving, but sadly not celebrating this year - it's a Thursday, just another workday here - and usually look forward to reading everyone else's menus to live vicariously through our American friends.

That, and given that we have no hockey this season, means I've decided to use the 100th Grey Cup (Canadian Super Bowl) this Sunday as an excuse to create a themed food and drink menu. Sadly the teams and game location don't offer much inspiration. The hometeam and stadium are in Toronto, which doesn't have its own food identity or signature dishes. It's a very multi-cultural town, so you get everything in Toronto, but nothing comes to mind that is uniquely Toronto. Ideas welcome!! The other team is from Calgary - so steak and Caesars I guess. Not my favourite drink though, so I might whip up a bath of Earl Grey Martinis in honour of the Cup's namesake. Again, ideas welcome :)

26. BigB08822

I plan on making some carrot cake cookies to take over for Thanksgiving dinner. They look/sound delicious. They are actually cookie sandwiches with a cream cheese frosting in the middle. I hope they turn out!

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

OMG those sound decadently delicious!

I'm reminded of this version of carrot cake from Jamie Oliver - made it once, a bit gooey (likely my fault, not his - I'm not much of a baker) - but the lime icing was a really fresh twist.

28. BigB08822

29. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Anyone have suggestions for sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving? I'm up for trying something new.

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Pumpkin-Chestnut Soup (Easy and Divine)

You start with equal parts cooked pumpkin and chestnuts (can be baked or boiled, with an X cut into each nut). I bake the pumpkin and roast my own chestnuts, then take off the skin/shells and chop the pumpkin in fairly small pieces, the chestnuts into smaller pieces. Here we can get packaged chestnuts as well and they are preferable because you don't have to cook and shell them. But they are also way more expensive than fresh. And I don't know if this recipe would work well with canned pumpkin.

I had about five cups each of pumpkin and chestnuts for my last soup. First, I chopped a small onion and several cloves of garlic, then sauteed them in butter. Then I added the pumpkin and chestnuts and add chicken stock to the mix, which is very thick. I bring the stock to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer - add a few bay leaves and some fresh ground pepper, simmer for five-ten minutes. Then puree in a food processor. The mix may still be too thick for soup, so you can thin it down with more chicken stock to the desired consistency. Vegetable stock would work just as well as chicken stock for vegetarians.

You can freeze some of the puree as well, then add more stock when you are ready to eat it.

This dish could be spiced all sorts of way but really needs nothing more, as the chestnuts have such a wonderful flavour. I usually add some shredded parmesan reggiano to the soup and serve with a baguette.