FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I could not agree more.

Everything I feel about jello cookery is encapsulated in this delightful offering.

I particularly like page 5. :rofl:

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

No, but I'll have to try it - thanks for the tip. I always found almond butter to be bland.

3. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I'll have to try it! It looks and sounds delicious.

I'm not sure why it's called Colorado Salad. A friend of my mom's gave the recipe to her back in the early 80's, and that's what it was called.

4. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

We made this cake tonight, and it was too watery, any ideas what we did wrong?

Zucchini Almond Cake (Gluten Free)

1-2 tablespoons Butter, room temperature

1 1/2 cups Almond Flour
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Potato Starch
    1 1/4 teaspoons gluten-free Baking Powder
    1/4 teaspoon fine Salt

3 large Eggs, room temperature
    1/2 cup packed Light Brown Sugar

1/2 stick unsalted butter, this portion melted
    1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
    1 cup finely grated Zucchini, squeezed of excess liquid

5 more tablespoons butter, room temperature
    additional 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
    8 ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
    1/3 cup Confectioner's Sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Butter an 8" round cake pan 2” deep with 1-2 T. room temperature butter, line with parchment paper, and butter paper too.

Whisk together Almond Flour, Potato Starch, Baking Powder and Salt.

Set a large heatproof bowl over a pot with 1" barely simmering water. Add Eggs and whisk until foamy about one minute. Whisk in Brown Sugar and continue to whisk until mixture is fluffy and sugar is dissolved, 3 minutes. Remove bowl from pot and, using a mixer, whisk on high until mixture is thick and pale, 7-10 minutes.

Gently fold in melted Butter, Flour Mixture, 1 T. of the Vanilla and Zucchini.

Poor into pan and bake until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs attached, 25-30 minutes. Cool cake and invert.

With mixer, beat together remaining 5 T. room-temperature Butter, remaining 1 teaspoon Vanilla and Cream Cheese until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add Confectioners' Sugar and beat until combined. Frost cake.

(Cake can be stored in refrigerator, covered, up to 2 days.)

I have a feeling that we didn't drain the water out of the Zucchini enough. The edges were delicious, will try again tomorrow.

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

The zucchini would release a lot more liquid if it had even a little bit of salt sprinkled on it. You could also try wringing it out in a dish towel.

6. mkats

mkats New Member

Some garden pictures:

We are finally doing a fresh cucumber pickle almost every night with dinner now, and the eggplants are almost ready to pick. I've been collecting up the recipes in anticipation!

(On a super trivial note, I love that the baby eggplants literally go through four hues from white to dark purple. :swoon: I planted these babies from seed way back in January, so it's super exciting to see them producing!)

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've made a zucchini quickbread, never a cake, but didn't do anything with the zucchini other than cut it up and put in the mix. . .and it turned out wonderful, not watery in the least. So I have no idea what went wrong with Lacey's recipe, other than maybe it was too much zucchini.

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have never made a zucchini cake but zucchini is very very watery. We often make a lasagna with layers of zucchini instead of pasta and it always comes out quite watery. It tastes wonderful but you can't help but notice the extra liquid when serving it. I would recommend laying the zucchini out on paper towels and sprinkling with salt to try and remove as much water as possible, then wring it out as much as you can. This should help.

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Lacey, try replacing some of the almond flour with coconut flour; it absorbs more water and is also gluten free. When I first experimented with coconut flour, everything was way too dry.

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a really good recipe for zucchini bread?
    I had one - given me by a close friend - now deceased, which I lost

11. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If you live near a Trader Joe's, look for their cookie butter. It's the same thing and sooooooo good OMG.

12. BigB08822

We are getting a Trader Joes in the fall of 2013. I can not explain how excited this makes me!!!!!

:rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin::rollin:

13. Simone411

One of my dad's recipes. It was also in the lunch box. :)

Baklava

3 tbsp. honey
    1/4 cup water
    1/3 cup sugar
    4 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup of Post Grape Nuts cereal
    1/2 cup of chopped pecans, toasted
    1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
    8 sheets of Phyllo dough - 14 x 9 inches

Combine the honey, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small sauce pan. Bring ingredients to a boil. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat.

Combine the raisins, brown sugar, cereal, pecans and cinnamon in a bowl and stir in 3 tbsp. of the honey mixture. Set the rest of the honey mixture aside.

Stack the Phyllo dough sheets onto a work surface, and trim 1 inch from the 9 inch side. Cut in half lengthwise, forming 8 inch x 7 inch rectangles. Overlap two pieces in a greased 8 inch square baking dish, and spray with cooking spray. Repeat three times.

Spread the nut mixture over top. Overlap two pieces of Phyllo dough to cover nut mixture, and spray with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining Phyllo dough. Use a sharp knife to cut into 24 rectangles, about 2 1/2 inches x 1 inch.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Reheat the rest of the honey mixture, and pour over hot baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Makes about 2 dozen.

14. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Love, love, love Justin's. And the individual packets are great for travel. I keep one in my purse, too.

Made chicken paillards tonight, which I marinated in a mix of dijon mustard, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt, crushed garlic, rosemary and a bit of thyme and savory. I then grilled them on the stove in a grill pan and finished them with some lemon juice. Amazing.

Served them with a medley of shitake, trumpet and other mushrooms sauteed in fresh garlic and olive oil and, towards the end, a splash of vermouth and some fresh basil.

I also also made a mixture of brown rice and red wild rice (3 parts brown to one part wild). Yummy!

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Have you tried Trader Joe's Cocoa Almond Spread? It's divine but not at all low in calories.

16. Artemis@BC

Ok, is FSU getting kickbacks from Trader Joe's? :lol:

No fair teasing me with their stuff though. I only get near one once or twice a year.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I should be getting kickbacks from TJ, as much as I tout its products everywhere. :shuffle: Artemis, that Cocoa Almond spread keeps, get a few jars. But be warned, it's :EVILLE: calorie-wise.

18. BigB08822

Someone on Facebook posted a photo of a lemon icebox pie they made. I don't care for lemon icebox pies but this one had something special. It was made with a FRUITY PEBBLES CRUST. :swoon:

19. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Cocoa almond spread...mmm.

I'm sure anyone with a food processor could whip one up. With dark chocolate, it could be a really healthy homemade spread. Just a couple teaspoons at a time though :)

20. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I'm making some things for a baby shower and I'd like to do some cute mini cupcakes but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe a salted caramel cupcake? Red velvet? Anything, really. I've had some issues with cupcake recipes in the past, so if anyone has a good one, I'd love if you could share it!

21. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

I realize you specifically asked for cupcake recipes, but I think this recipe for brownie bites might be a good option as well. I've made them several times for girls' nights and they've gotten rave reviews. You can use all different colored sprinkles depending on your theme.

A salted caramel cupcake sounds lovely as well! I made some salted caramel brownies recently.

22. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

For shower cupcakes, I usually try to incorporate the theme or colors.

23. Simone411

jl2aires, this recipe isn't for cupcakes, either, but I have made it for several parties and family reunions in the past. I usually doubled the recipe when making them for a large crowd.

Congo Bars

1 box brown sugar
    1 stick of margarine (melt and let it cool to room temperature. Then, stir into brown sugar.)
    3 eggs
    2 3/4 cups self-rising flour
    1 6 oz. pkg. chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped pecans (if desired)

Add the three eggs (one at a time) to the brown sugar and margarine mixture. Then, stir in the chcocolate chips and pecans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until brown.

24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Simone, you are once again intriguing me with the names of your recipes! Why "Congo Bars"? This sounds like a typical American confection, nothing African about it - do you know its origin?

Jenny, student of food history

25. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Oh gosh I am sure there is could be an entire academia (related to post colonial theory I am sure) that studies the naming of American foodstuffs. I'm betting it's an orientalism - with its "exotic" ingredients (cocoa, coconut?), the "Congo" might reference the (old) West's idea of far off "exotic" lands.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We've already got quite the menu going....filo shells filled with pastry cream and topped with seasonal berries, garlic scapes pesto bruschetta, a sundried tomato and bocconcini pasta salad, and I'm thinking of thumbprint cookies with homemade raspberry strawberry jam. So I'm really feeling that mini cupcakes would round off the menu. It's an "atraditional" baby shower...a picnic under the sun with great food, bubbles, lawn games, and general merriment. Though I'd love to hear about any baby shower experiences that pop out in your minds!

26. BigB08822

Simone, when do you add in the flour? After the eggs are mixed in and before the choc chips and pecans? Do you put this in a 9x13 baking dish and then cut into bars? It sounds interesting. I assume it is the smallish box of brown sugar, otherwise that seems awfully sugary. It sounds like a basic choc chip cookie recipe just without any baking soda or white sugar.

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I googled it, and there are millions of recipes out there, so it's an established dish (with variations of course), but there's no information on its origin.

There certainly was a fad, perhaps still is, for giving ordinary recipes exotic names to make them more appealing, especially in the days when many recipes were generated by the food companies to sell their products. Food writers also did their share to make their articles interesting and attract readers.

Congo implies Africa, so some have surmised that it's because of the coconut found in many versions (although there are other places I'd associate with coconut before Africa!) and apparently they are often called Conga bars, which would be more Latin. There are versions that are also known as seven-layer bars, so perhaps it's some play on the conga line style of dancing that was popular at one time - all the layers lined up against each other?

28. succubus

succubus Well-Known Member

We are drowning in a sea of YELLOW SQUASH!!!

I am desperately seeking recipes. Can I do bread or cake with it like you can do with its green cousin the zucchini?

I've made plain old grilled, roasted with olive oil and salt, roasted with breadcrumbs, and a really tasty baked version with Bisquick. But we're overwhelmed with a ton of ripe ones coming out of the garden and we need some variety.

Any and all recipes welcome!

29. Artemis@BC

^ Quick and easy summer squash recipe: 2 parts diced squash to 1 part salsa. Mix in a handfull of grated cheddar, then pour into a cassarole dish. Top with more cheddar, bake at about 350 til the cheese melty. Crank up to broil for a couple of minutes to brown the cheese. Mmmm!

30. Artemis@BC

Another couple of zucchini recipes I've done with yellow summer squash.

("zucchini" is another one of those words that, the more you type it, the wronger it looks)

Toasted Zucchini Snacks

2 cups shredded zucchini
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
    4 green onions, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    36 slices snack rye bread

In a bowl, toss the zucchini and salt; let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and drain; pressing out excess liquid. Add the next eight ingredients; stir until combined. Spread a rounded teaspoonful on each slice of bread; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 10 -12 minutes or until bubbly. Serve hot.

Spicy Zucchini Salad

3 zucchini or yellow summer squash, or mixture of both
    1 lime
    1 tbsp ( 15 mL) soy sauce
    1-1/2 tsp ( 7 mL) sesame oil, preferably dark
    1-1/2 tsp ( 7 mL) freshly grated ginger or 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed ground ginger
    1/4 tsp ( 1 mL) crushed red pepper
    2 tbsp ( 30 mL) finely chopped fresh coriander or parsley

Cut zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a food processor or sharp knife, thinly slice or julienne zucchini. Place in a mixing bowl.

Grate peel from lime, then cut lime in half and squeeze out juice. You should have about 2 tablespoons. Whisk peel and juice with soy, oil, ginger, red pepper and coriander. Pour over zucchini and mix until evenly coated. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate. This salad is best served within 3 hours after it is made as zucchini becomes soggy.

Makes3 to 4 servings

from Chatelaine

-----

This one I've never tried with yellow squash but can't see why it wouldn't work. And it would certainly use up a lot!

Zucchini Relish

4 L chopped zucchini
    4-5 large white onions
    1 red pepper
    125 mL pickling salt
    750 mL white sugar
    750 mL vinegar
    125 mL water
    25 mL turmeric
    25 mL celery seed
    5 mL mustard seed

Cut ends off zucchini but do not peel. Finely chop zucchini, onions, and pepper and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with pickling salt and cover with ice water. Let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Drain thoroughly.

In a large pot, boil sugar, vinegar, water, tumeric and celery seed for 3 minutes. Add vegetable mixture, bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Spoon hot relish into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2"(1cm) space at the top. Place lids on jars. Process in boiling water for 15 minutes.

( from Peakrecipes)

succubus and (deleted member) like this.