FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input, Artemis and Bittybug! I've decided to try the white chocolate ganache again this weekend, using a good quality white chocolate and increasing the ratio of chocolate to cream from my usual recipe. I don't care too much about the yellowish color.

The buttercream recipe I used was the following: http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/07/project-wedding-cake-swiss-buttercream/
    Basically, you beat egg whites and sugar, then beat in softened butter. Just look at the proportions: 3.25 sticks of butter for 4 egg whites! Yuck. Maybe it's just this recipe sucks, but I was more set on ganache anyway so I will definitely stay away from buttercreams.

Does anyone have experience with cream cheese icings? Do they hold up at room temperature for a few hours? The cake is sweet and rich (it's chocolate cake with a pastry cream & chocolate chip filling) and i was thinking the tang of the cream cheese might be a good counter, but I've never tried a cream cheese frosting recipe. I am also going to add a few salted pistachios to the cake batter to temper the sweetness.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

If you want to add some amazing flavor to spaghetti sauces then do what I did tonight.

I took some sliced mushrooms and put them in a ziploc bag with a little olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette (just about a tablespoon of each) and salt and pepper. Shake them around and let them soak everything up for a little while (an hour or so) and then layer them on a roasting pan. Roast them in the oven on about 450 for 20-25 minutes. They will be so full of flavor. I could have eaten them all on their own but I am so glad I added them to my spaghetti because it added so much flavor!

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

This doesn't rate it's own thread, but since it's chef-y--if any of you watch Chopped, my sister's boss (Richard Bond) is on tonight! It's a New Orleans themed show, and I've eaten all of the featured chefs' food. If he's out first, then GO CHEF LINDA!!!

4. BigB08822

We are watching right now! Now we have someone to root for. :)

I know there was supposed to be a chef from an amazing restaurant called La Thai on Chopped at some point. I don't know if we missed it or it has yet to air. I thought maybe she would be on tonight when I saw the theme was New Orleans but she isn't there.

5. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

I love mushrooms and these sound FANTASTIC!!!!

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

For mushroom fans, here's how hubby makes his:

Slice or cut in quarters, saute in olive oil (or butter) with salt, pepper and a smashed clove of garlic Part way through, splash with vermouth (or white wine). Add a few sprigs of fresh thyme (the woodsy flavour matches well with mushrooms). Continue to cook until all liquid is gone and mushrooms begin to carmelize (brown). Can easily be done in a tin pan on the BBQ too.

Often he ends up eating half of them out of the pan before he adds them to pasta, over a steak or layers them in a sandwich of sauteed peppers and onions with herb salad and perhaps a layer of provolone or mozzarella.

7. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

oooohhhhh, mushrooms! I just learnt a dish for chestnut flour (we made it out of ground, dry chestnuts) tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms - divine! Also, gluten free and vegetarian. :)

8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I do something almost identical, except with sherry instead, and add some finely chopped shallots. Then I'll use them in scrambled eggs or sandwiches. Oh so good. They also freeze well if you have any leftovers.

Or, to take it to the next level to make an awesome mushroom pâté: Do the above but chop the mushrooms finely instead of slice. When cooked, mix with some cream cheese or chèvre, few drops W. sauce, grated parmesan (the good stuff), and finely chopped walnuts or pecans. Great on wheaty crackers like Bretons or crusty rustic bread.

9. Artemis@BC

On a totally different note ... can you overdose on strawberries? I've been eating them 3 meals a day for the past week. The local berry season is so fleeting, I want to take advantage of it while it lasts. There are few things I anticipate more, seasonal-food wise. (Yes, you can get imported berries year round, but there's just no comparison to the real thing.)

The local cherries are starting to appear too, but that season last much longer so I don't feel the same urgency there.

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Interesting ... hubby does a mushroom bruschetta that has become an on-demand part of our parties because people love it so much we can't take it off the menu. Same as I described above, served on crostini (thin sliced ciabatta or other long loaf) that has been brushed with olive oil and grilled. As they come hot off the BBQ, guests scoop on the mushroom mixture - it's always gone in minutes.

One of our close friends is strictly vegan, so we are always looking for dishes that she can enjoy along with everyone else, and thankfully she loves mushrooms. :)

But I hate them. :shuffle:

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I like the flavor of cooked mushrooms; but can't stand the texture.

12. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Have you tried the white strawberries yet? I'm dying to know what they taste like.

13. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I did a cream cheese frosting for a friend's wedding cake and it held up wonderfully as far as consistency, but the catering company lent us some fridge space until the final hour. I don't think the cream cheese frosting would go bad, but if it's a warm day it's definitely liable to start melting, as would most frostings. I'd worry about the pastry cream being out of the fridge as well. Might the catering company be generous enough to lend you some space in their fridge?

Is the pastry cream your standard vanilla? I'm not sure how that would pair with the cream cheese frosting. Incidentally, I used Deb's cream cheese frosting from her carrot cake recipe on Smittenkitchen. You could do a test run, make a mini batch of cupcakes and see how the flavours blend?

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Same here!

15. BigB08822

It took me a long long time to get past the texture of mushrooms. I still can't do big mushrooms or even whole button mushrooms. They must be sliced up, otherwise it is too much for me texture wise.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a good point... It never even occurred to me if the frosting and the pastry cream would go together... It's standard vanilla pastry cream, yes. I'm gonna make a test batch this weekend and see.

The wedding isn't being catered. It's a very, very informal affair, more like a backyard potluck party really. And I will definitely have access to the fridge, so I'm thinking of refrigerating the cake til an hour before serving time.

Any other wedding cake tips you'd care to share? I'm pretty confident in my cooking/baking skills but this is the biggest project I've ever attempted and I'm a bit worried that I might have gotten in over my head now...

17. Artemis@BC

How are you decorating the cake, other than the frosting? I always think edible flowers are so pretty on a cake, esp. a wedding cake. It really kicks things up a notch. You can either use them plain, or crystalize them. Crystalizing does of course take more time, but it preserves them, and you can do it in advance -- and adds flavour to the milder varieties, like pansy (which is a good choice visually IMO plus usually easy to find).

Edible flower guide -- be sure to pick those in the sweet range rather than the peppery/spicy ones!

How to crystalize flowers

18. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Are you doing a layered cake? Use dowels! Those cakes can get heavy. We needed a couple strong bucks to help with the transport. What were you thinking in terms of decoration? I used some fresh flowers left over from the bridal bouquets. I'm happy to send you a picture if you pm me.

19. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

It is a layer cake, one 9 inch layer on top of one 12 inch layer. I've already made an actual-size test cake to test out the structure - used plastic straws instead of dowels and it held up perfectly!

Artemis, I'm going to keep the decoration simple. I wanted to use real flowers like you suggested but they're tricky to find unsprayed or edible. Then a friend found a website where you can order sugar flowers for real cheap. I got this cake topper:
    http://www.globalsugarart.com/produ...Rose Gumpaste Topper Bouquet - Pink with Wire
    Isn't it beautiful? It arrived a couple of days ago and it looks gorgeous. I'm just gonna put that on top of the cake and then pipe a border at around the bottom of each cake layer. I'm not very artistic so I don't trust myself to do anything more complicated than that. If I had time to practice I could probably figure out something more intricate but unfortunately I don't.

ETA: Tried 2 white chocolate frostings yesterday: A white chocolate cream cheese frosting and a white choc ganache. The ganache was a success this time cos I used good quality chocolate and decreased the choc-cream ratio to 2.5:1 :) I think I'm gonna go with the latter for the cake because the cream cheese is too soft and I don't think it will hold up during the wedding.
    Relieved to have figured out the frosting situation finally! :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I pick porcini mushrooms and you can dehydrate them and then grind them into powder if you dislike the texture.

21. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

It is indeed lovely, and I think it will be both gorgeous and more than sufficient. Less is more.

Great news. Sounds like your cake will be both beautiful and delicious. :)

22. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

How do you make your peach pie? I had an excess of peaches so I started to look up recipes. In the end I made up my own. A crust cooked, 2 peaches mashed and cooked with 3/4c up sugar and 3 tbsp of corn starch with a drizzle of lemon juice and then poured over with 4 large sliced fresh peaches in the cooked crust and served with fresh whipped cream. The only thing I will miss is a top crust. I hated the idea of cooking all those beautiful peaches so they were mushy when they are so perfect right now.

23. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

Our local grocery store (Publix) makes a yummy museli roll. It's a yeast roll with dried cranberries, raisins, and seeds on top. The bread itself is a darker brown, like it is either whole wheat flour (maybe) or has molasses or dark brown sugar in it (more likely) as the bread is ever so slightly sweet. I'm trying to make something similar, and the closest thing I come up with online is this http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/muesli-bread-rolls.html. The photo is pretty similar to what I get here. Has anyone ever made anything like this before? I'm not sure what "wholemeal" flour is - whole wheat?

I made soda bread for the first time today. It was yummy.

Thanks for any input.

24. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  25. BigB08822

I have been eating a lot more vegetarian foods lately which is a total shock to myself and my friends. I never thought I could do it but I went on a kick of eating a lot of fast food because of a program I am in this summer and my body was absolutely craving vegetables and fruit. It was time to listen to I began eating veggie wraps and trying to get more creative at dinner. I still eat some meat but I try to eat shrimp when I go out to dinner instead of red meat or chicken.

Does anyone have any good vegetarian recipes? I am not big on beans because my stomach can't handle them but I can eat them as long as they aren't the main part of the meal. I am also not big on soups, too hot right now and they aren't very filling to me. I want to do this more often and keep up with it but I feel like I have no idea how to do that because I only know of 2-3 things that I actually like that are vegetarian. The things I know are:

Spaghetti with eggplant and mushrooms instead of meat
    Avocados topped with corn and mushrooms
    Veggie wraps (lunch mainly)

I need to try portobello burgers but I have not typically been a fan of big mushrooms. I love the flavor but the texture can be off putting so I worry that I wont be able to get past the way it feels in my mouth. I will try it, though.

Are there any vegetarians in here? What are some of your favorite meals to make at home? Oh, and one last picky thing, I hate fish. (Do you still consider a meal vegetarian if it has seafood?)

I want to do this but I feel like I am too picky about beans, mushrooms and fish. lol

26. Artemis@BC

I think there are quite a few of us here. And no, vegetarians do not eat fish. If you eat fish you can call yourself a "pescatarian" or an "almost vegetarian" ;). But it's a pet peeve for me and a lot of other veggies I know when other people assume "you're a vegetarian? Oh, then here, have some fish!" :mad:

Anyway, it's a pity you don't like beans -- aside from the protein, they're filling, high in fibre and iron, and really cheap. But no matter, there are other options.

A good place to start is with quinoa. It's a grain that's high in protein and extremely versatile. You can use it the same way you'd use rice or couscous, as a bed for a veggie stew for example. But my favourite use for quinoa, esp. in the summer, is a salad. For a Moroccan quinoa salad add grated carrot, almonds, raisins, and onion, and season with cumin, mint, garlic, and lemon. For a Greek version, add cuke and tomato, season with oregano and garlic. But the possibilities are endless.

There's a fabulous cookbook for quinoa called Quinoa 365. Some of their recipes are online at their web site, but if you google "quinoa 365 recipies" you can find some others. (The Moist Chocolate Quinoa Cake is frikin amazing!)

For an amazing database of veggie recipies, try Vegweb -- nicely organized by type. Also Vegetarian Times.

In terms of suggesting specific recipes ... it's hard to know where to start, since everything I make is vegetarian. So I'll start with what I'm making for lunch: this Healthy Spinach Dip. But I make it with yogurt instead of cream cheese; and if you're really not keen on beans you can use walnuts and/or breadcrumbs instead. Or I bet substituting cooked quinoa would work too!

27. BigB08822

I don't mind beans its just that if I eat too much of them I am afraid of having gas. :shuffle: I rather like the taste, though. Maybe I can try to ease them into my diet and see how I do.

28. Artemis@BC

^ Maybe start with edamame then. A lot of people don't experience the same, um, gastric side-effects with edamame that they do with other beans -- something to do with the "greenness" perhaps?

I like edamame with just a little sea salt, or tossed with some sesame oil and soy sauce, but there are lots of good recipes for them too. This one is a particular fave: Black Rice and Edamame Salad. (You can just omit the mushrooms for this one since you're not a fan. Avacado would be a nice addition too.)

29. BigB08822

Thanks, I love edamame and I can't recall ever having problems. I think I would like that recipe as is because the mushrooms are sliced thin and I could even cook them and cool them in the fridge first if I wanted, I like cooked mushrooms because they soak up so much flavor.

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Per Alton Brown, the best way to take care of this problem, BION, is to eat more beans. Your body will get used to it.