FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Feb 26, 2012.

1. mkats

mkats New Member

Glad you liked it! I made it that same night and it was very yummy, and even better after a night marinating in the fridge :)

On the eggplant. I'm intrigued to hear that you don't salt them either. I always see in recipes that salting eggplant is a must, but I never do it and have never had a problem, and nobody I know does it. What gives?

My biggest problem with eggplant is that it soaks up oil so quickly! I've heard that soaking pieces in ice cold water immediately after slicing will help with this, but I never remember this until my eggplant is already in the pot (and probably sticking to the bottom :lol: )

ETA: Thanks Artemis for the fish sauce recipe! Can't wait to try it :)

2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I did not know you were from Trinidad!!! So cool!!! We actually had several Trinidad-born coasties with us last year (they all have transferred), including one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen.

Do you make that shark-n-bake sandwich, Buzz?

3. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

What is it? Shredded broccoli? I don't buy bagged stuff anyway, I prefer to do it myself :) I searched on Google, but all I could find were actual recipes.

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

REX
    I have eaten shark many times, but can't say That I had ever had it in a sandwich. Usually it was with dall and rice. :)

ARTEMIS
    Thanks for the mango salad recipe! :respec:

5. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Yes, it is shredded broccoli and it also includes shredded red cabbage and carrots. :) Good for you for shredding it yourself! I usually prefer to do everything myself, but I draw the line at that. ;) I'm not sure how many stalks it would take to get that volume so I'm curious as to what you do.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Same with cucumber. Most recipes say to salt, let stand then rinse and drain. I never do - just slice or chop and go. I *might* pat them a bit if I'm making a cucumber tea sandwich. :)

Similarly, I never peel/scrape the ribs off celery. I've never found them to be a problem in cooking or eating, and it seems a bit of a waste. Then again I use the leaves too.

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Can't you just throw it all in a food processor?

Fully understand the convenience of bagged veggies, but personally they gross me out. They often smell musty, and I learned that they can be washed with ammonia and other anti-bacterials/preservatives and companies do not have to report it on the packaging - not to mention the processing machines and the plastic. Logically, you have to wonder how a bag of cut veggies can have an expiry date 6 weeks away, when there's no way veggies you cut yourself would last that long ...

I know this is against the grain, but I actually like preparing veggies. The washing and cutting is kinda zen, like knitting or something. :)

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I read where shark-n-bake is one of Trinidad's national dishes...
    What is dall?

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh I read that a lot too and many people eat it I am sure but I have only ever heard and seen it on tv. LOL. My spelling as usual is a bit off but here you go, a dhal recipe. :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bengali-dhal/

10. 4skating

4skating Member

11. mkats

mkats New Member

Asparagus was $1.38/lb today :eek: and I bought two more bunches...cooked the old one for dinner tonight.

4skating, that fettucine recipe looks absolutely divine!!! (Thanks to everyone else for sharing their recipes too, I'm going to have to figure out some ways to get creative!)

12. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I got some bunches of asparagus last week for $ .99 a bunch. I think a bunch=1 lb. I could not believe it. I grabbed 3 even though I had no idea what I would use them for. I figured even if 1 went bad I still paid what I normally pay for 1 bunch and got 3.

13. mkats

mkats New Member

Brian, did you ever get that asparagus soup to work out?

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Yes, I did. I made it the first time with some awful awful crab meat and I remade it soon after with no crab meat. It was pretty good but I have never had the desire to make it again. I prefer my asparagus whole. :)

15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

*Jealous* - I was at the grocery store yesterday and there was a ton of asparagus alright - all from Mexico!!! It's usually not local here until May, sigh.

Here's one in the mean time though - made these again yesterday, and they have been a huge hit in the past:

Easy Spring Rolls

Shred equal quantities carrot and daikon (you could get fancy with it and slice into matchsticks, but shredding is just fine) and mix with fresh cilantro. No salt, pepper or anything else. Wrap in rice paper rolls you've soaked for a few seconds, and lay on a plate of lettuce, then cover with a damp tea towel until ready to eat (which you may have done the rolling on - it can get sticky pretty fast). Choose your favourite Asian dipping sauce (peanut or chili work well), bottled or homemade, voila. Also nice with a stick of cucumber or a slice of avocado rolled in.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That's right - Trinidad is half Indian in population. I've never tried dhal before.

17. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Glad to hear that others skip the salting routine. I'm thinking that the problems I've had with eggplant being tough and dry (or greasy even) have been a result of thinking I had to salt/drain. I didn't have a problem with the eggplant sticking in this recipe. For eggplant parmigiana, one technique to control the oil absorption is to make thin slices, brush them with oil, then broil.

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Re: broccoli slaw, I've tried making it myself, figuring it would be a great way to use up stems when I have a recipe that calls for just the florets. Not a success. I tried it by hand, and using the food processor, but neither was anywhere near as good as the bagged broccoli slaw. Not really sure why ... but there you go.

Broccoli slaw is my fast food. It's great with just about any dressing (tho my favourites are sesame-soy or szechuan peanut), throw in some seeds or nuts, maybe some raisins or craisins ... and voila.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I actually quite like the stems :)

One of hubby's go-to weeknight meals, especially if he's on his own, is broccoli spaghetti. He puts frozen broccoli into the boiling water part way through the cooking of the pasta, then tosses the whole thing in olive oil, garlic and chili flakes that he's heated in a fry pan. Tops it with shredded old cheddar. He can eat buckets of it.

I like broccoli soup, and it's a good way to use up the parts of the broccoli you don't like or have too much of. I *finally* got an immersion blender recommended so highly by FSU foodies on a previous thread, and it's :swoon:

I got a Breville, and it comes with a sort of food processor attachment that is SO handy and easier to clean/deal with than the regular food processor. Thank you FSU!

20. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I remember you posting this way back in the day... and it's been one of my go-to meals ever since. :)

21. Artemis@BC

I do too for most recipes. There's just the odd one where florets only looks nicer (salads in particular).

Broccoli soup is a winter-time staple for me too -- and I can't imaging making it without an immersion blender. Also great for root vegetable soups -- carrot, yam, and/or squash.

22. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I love this recipe. The only thing I changed is that I don't make the tarragon dressing, it's too strong of a flavor. Instead, I shake some mixed spices into the dish towards the end of the cooking process, and I also dash about a teaspoon of white vinegar into it.

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:shuffle: my post count is approaching 14,000, so I guess I've started repeating myself.

Hubby tried it on spaghetti sauce the other day and it was a revelation. In the past he's used the food processor, which is so clunky to get out of the cupboard, often leaks, and creates a pile of dishes that I'm the one to wash.

Seriously, this thing is AWESOME.

Speaking of mixed spices (and I've definitely mentioned this before, Habs ;)), Kruss I think you live in Chicago - you must go to this place: The Spice House.

I have sadly never been, but I mail order from them all the time - the quality is outstanding (I have never had cayenne pepper or garlic powder that packed so much punch), and they have some really great house blends that we always seem to be finding new uses for. Because of the cross border shipping, I end up paying pretty much double for everything, but IMO it's entirely worth it.

24. mkats

mkats New Member

I bought a big block of mozzarella intending to make the salad I linked earlier, but instead I just sat there surfing FSU and ate the whole thing bite by bite :slinkaway

25. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

My immersion blender ranks right up there with my snowblower as one of the best purchases of my life. :lol: I will be using it to make curried sweet potato butternut squash soup tomorrow night. Two weeks ago I used it to make red potato cheese soup. :swoon:

26. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Oooo, I've never heard of this place! I'll have to check it out. Thank you!

27. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Obviously it was worth remembering. ;)

:saint:

28. Artemis@BC

LOL, I read that and immediately thought "Hmm, if one broke down, could you use the other for both jobs?" :D

29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:lol: but not that far off - we use our regular blender so much that we actually do have a backup in case it breaks down at an inopportune time.

30. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

:lol::lol: