FSU Chefs Unite (Recipes Thread Part II)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mkats, Feb 26, 2012.

1. mkats

mkats New Member

Asparagus was $1.38/lb today :eek: and I bought two more bunches...cooked the old one for dinner tonight.

4skating, that fettucine recipe looks absolutely divine!!! (Thanks to everyone else for sharing their recipes too, I'm going to have to figure out some ways to get creative!)
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I got some bunches of asparagus last week for $ .99 a bunch. I think a bunch=1 lb. I could not believe it. I grabbed 3 even though I had no idea what I would use them for. I figured even if 1 went bad I still paid what I normally pay for 1 bunch and got 3.
  3. mkats

mkats New Member

Brian, did you ever get that asparagus soup to work out?
  4. BigB08822

Yes, I did. I made it the first time with some awful awful crab meat and I remade it soon after with no crab meat. It was pretty good but I have never had the desire to make it again. I prefer my asparagus whole. :)
  5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

*Jealous* - I was at the grocery store yesterday and there was a ton of asparagus alright - all from Mexico!!! It's usually not local here until May, sigh.

Here's one in the mean time though - made these again yesterday, and they have been a huge hit in the past:

Easy Spring Rolls

Shred equal quantities carrot and daikon (you could get fancy with it and slice into matchsticks, but shredding is just fine) and mix with fresh cilantro. No salt, pepper or anything else. Wrap in rice paper rolls you've soaked for a few seconds, and lay on a plate of lettuce, then cover with a damp tea towel until ready to eat (which you may have done the rolling on - it can get sticky pretty fast). Choose your favourite Asian dipping sauce (peanut or chili work well), bottled or homemade, voila. Also nice with a stick of cucumber or a slice of avocado rolled in.
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

That's right - Trinidad is half Indian in population. I've never tried dhal before.
  7. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Glad to hear that others skip the salting routine. I'm thinking that the problems I've had with eggplant being tough and dry (or greasy even) have been a result of thinking I had to salt/drain. I didn't have a problem with the eggplant sticking in this recipe. For eggplant parmigiana, one technique to control the oil absorption is to make thin slices, brush them with oil, then broil.
  8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Re: broccoli slaw, I've tried making it myself, figuring it would be a great way to use up stems when I have a recipe that calls for just the florets. Not a success. I tried it by hand, and using the food processor, but neither was anywhere near as good as the bagged broccoli slaw. Not really sure why ... but there you go.

Broccoli slaw is my fast food. It's great with just about any dressing (tho my favourites are sesame-soy or szechuan peanut), throw in some seeds or nuts, maybe some raisins or craisins ... and voila.
  9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I actually quite like the stems :)

One of hubby's go-to weeknight meals, especially if he's on his own, is broccoli spaghetti. He puts frozen broccoli into the boiling water part way through the cooking of the pasta, then tosses the whole thing in olive oil, garlic and chili flakes that he's heated in a fry pan. Tops it with shredded old cheddar. He can eat buckets of it.

I like broccoli soup, and it's a good way to use up the parts of the broccoli you don't like or have too much of. I *finally* got an immersion blender recommended so highly by FSU foodies on a previous thread, and it's :swoon:

I got a Breville, and it comes with a sort of food processor attachment that is SO handy and easier to clean/deal with than the regular food processor. Thank you FSU!
  10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I remember you posting this way back in the day... and it's been one of my go-to meals ever since. :)
  11. Artemis@BC

I do too for most recipes. There's just the odd one where florets only looks nicer (salads in particular).

Broccoli soup is a winter-time staple for me too -- and I can't imaging making it without an immersion blender. Also great for root vegetable soups -- carrot, yam, and/or squash.
  12. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

I love this recipe. The only thing I changed is that I don't make the tarragon dressing, it's too strong of a flavor. Instead, I shake some mixed spices into the dish towards the end of the cooking process, and I also dash about a teaspoon of white vinegar into it.
  13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:shuffle: my post count is approaching 14,000, so I guess I've started repeating myself.

Hubby tried it on spaghetti sauce the other day and it was a revelation. In the past he's used the food processor, which is so clunky to get out of the cupboard, often leaks, and creates a pile of dishes that I'm the one to wash.

Seriously, this thing is AWESOME.

Speaking of mixed spices (and I've definitely mentioned this before, Habs ;)), Kruss I think you live in Chicago - you must go to this place: The Spice House.

I have sadly never been, but I mail order from them all the time - the quality is outstanding (I have never had cayenne pepper or garlic powder that packed so much punch), and they have some really great house blends that we always seem to be finding new uses for. Because of the cross border shipping, I end up paying pretty much double for everything, but IMO it's entirely worth it.
  14. mkats

mkats New Member

I bought a big block of mozzarella intending to make the salad I linked earlier, but instead I just sat there surfing FSU and ate the whole thing bite by bite :slinkaway
  15. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

My immersion blender ranks right up there with my snowblower as one of the best purchases of my life. :lol: I will be using it to make curried sweet potato butternut squash soup tomorrow night. Two weeks ago I used it to make red potato cheese soup. :swoon:
  16. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Oooo, I've never heard of this place! I'll have to check it out. Thank you!
  17. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Obviously it was worth remembering. ;)

:saint:
  18. Artemis@BC

LOL, I read that and immediately thought "Hmm, if one broke down, could you use the other for both jobs?" :D
  19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:lol: but not that far off - we use our regular blender so much that we actually do have a backup in case it breaks down at an inopportune time.
  20. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:
  21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

More gushing for my immersion blender - I made cream of broccoli soup last night, what a dream! And only the attachment and the original pot to wash - no extra bowls, processor parts, wipe ups. Where has this thing been all my life?

We had cheddar crostini with the soup, yum. None of that left, but I get to have the soup again for lunch today, yay!
  23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOL@Jenny! I have to check that blender thing out.
  24. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

With all the talk of asparagus, this recipe caught my eye - simple yet sophisticated.

And speaking of favourite appliances, one I can't live without that would be handy for this recipe is an egg cooker. Cuisinart makes a cute steel egg shaped one, and I use an old Toastmaster. Simply the easiest way to get perfectly boiled eggs, never with the gray ring. I've even faked poached eggs by setting it to soft boiled and then carefully peeling.
  25. gerb

gerb Serial Lurker

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love indian food. I made a curried leg of lamb once - it could have been better. I'll try it again, but with no one to cook for, I don't feel inspired to do so.

But mainly I lurve lamb korma, meat samosas and the fragrant rice that comes with the dinner. What is the secret to good Indian rice?
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Trinidadian Indian and Indian Indian food are two entirely different creatures but the basis of all Indian recipes is the spices. The stuff uses lots of them and also the type of rice is important. Here is a quick and easy saffron rice recipe for you to try. I love saffron rice and also Thai Jasmin rice is good too. :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/indian-saffron-rice/
  28. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm in need of a quinoa salad recipe recommendation, vegetarian please!
  29. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I've posted this before (Habs ;)) but since you asked - Santa Fe Quinoa Salad.

Don't substitute the cocktail onions - it sounds weird, but their pickling juice combines with the lime to make the dressing. After we served this at a BBQ, everyone wanted the recipe and now all our friends are making it. Several have noted that their teens love it too.

Later this morning I will be attempting shakshuka for brunch - this is from a gorgeous vegetarian cookbook some here might be interested in called Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi.
  30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Oh My God was that good!! I've seen lots of recipes for shakshuka in books and magazines and always meant to make it, and this version knocked it right out of the park.

I was so inspired by it and the record breaking warm weather that I went on to cook two more recipes from this book yesterday, each more delicious than the next. I ordered his first book first thing this morning :)

If anyone is interested in Plenty - which is vegetarian but not vegan - note that there are two versions out there. White cover is the original with UK measurements, and cover with an eggplant/pomegranate dish is the same recipes but Americanized with measurements and names of certain ingredients (ie courgettes become zucchini).

I think I'm going to be cooking from this book A LOT this spring and summer. :rollin:
  31. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love saffron; why is it so pricey.
  32. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

33. Artemis@BC

I don't normally follow a recipe per se for quinoa salads -- I just toss in whatever I have on hand. My favourite combo is Moroccan spices (preserved lemon, cumin, cinnamon, mint, garlic, a little chili or harissa) with cubed cuke, green onion, raisins, slivered almond, parsley, and tomato. Toss with some olive oil and lemon juice, and voila. I'll throw in some chick peas too sometimes for added fibre & protein.

For an actual recipe, though, I've made this one before -- particularly at Thankgsgiving -- and it's quite yummy. Quinoa, Squash, and Pumpkin Seed Salad.
  34. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Do you make the harissa? Does anyone have recipes to share?

I've been using the same simple recipe for 20+ years, but it doesn't have caraway as most versions seem to - interested if anyone has a favourite.
  35. Artemis@BC

^ I have made harissa in the past (from an ancient cookbook, don't have an e-version of the recipe), but I've found a really good and really cheap store-bought brand, so I usually just use that now.
  36. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

37. Gypsy

Gypsy Thunder & Lightning!!!

A co-worker just made this for our office after being in Jamaica...Yummy!!

Jamaican Inspired Chicken Pumpkin Vegetable Curry Soup Serves 10

About 4 Cups Processed Pumpkin:

To process pumpkin: Trim away skin and guts from a fresh pumpkin and cube into chunks about 1.5 inches square. Spread in one layer in a microwavable steamer and microwave on high for 7 minutes. Pumpkin can also be steamed in a traditional steamer for about 50 min or until tender, or boiled for about 25 minutes until tender (drain well). You can also roast the pumpkin in the oven for 30 - 45 minutes (depending on the size of the pieces) until tender.
    Mash pumpkin by hand with potato masher
    Measure into a 4 cup measuring cup, heap full.​

2 Cups Chicken Stock or 2 Cups Water + 1T Chicken Bouillon:

In a blender mix 2 cups chicken stock (or 2 cups of water with 1T chicken bouillon).
    Add the processed pumpkin, filling the blender to the top and liquefy.
    Transfer to a soup pot. Start the mixture simmering on low heat.​

1/2 Cup Water
    1 tsp. Salt
    1T + 1 tsp. Curry Powder
    3 Large Garlic Cloves (minced)
    1T + 1 tsp. Soy Sauce
    1/3 tsp. Black Pepper
    1 tsp. Celery Salt
    2 tsp. Franks Red Hot Original
    Cayenne Pepper Sauce
    *Adjust seasonings to taste.

Add ½ cup water to blender, add spices and blend. Add to the soup pot.​

1 Chicken Breast
    2 T butter
    2 Large Onions (chopped)
    1/4 Cup Flour
    1 Cup Water

Meanwhile, sauté a chicken breast and 2 large onions in butter. (add more butter if necessary to make gravy) Remove chicken. Add flour and blend well to thicken, then add approximately a cup of water (adding more in small amounts if necessary) to make medium thick gravy. Then cut chicken into small bite size pieces. Add both to the soup pot.​

3 Large Potatoes (cut into cubes)
    Carrots (cut into cubes)
    Celery (chopped)
    Green Pepper (chopped)

Add to soup and simmer until vegetables are tender and enjoy!​

*Optional:
    1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
    1/2 Cup Heavy Cream Or Sour Cream
    With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add cream while stirring to incorporate. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down.

Shopping List:

• About 4 Cups Processed Pumpkin (About 4 Lbs. Of Pumpkin)
    • 2 Cups Chicken Stock Or Chicken Bouillon (1 T)
    • Salt (1 tsp. Salt)
    • Curry Powder (1T + 1 tsp.)
    • 3 Large Garlic Cloves (minced)
    • Soy Sauce (1T + 1 tsp.)
    • Franks Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce (2 tsp.)
    • Black Pepper (1/3 tsp.)
    • Celery Salt (1 tsp.)
    • 2 Large Onions (chopped)
    • Butter (2 T)
    • 1 Chicken Breast
    • Cup Flour (1/4 cup)
    • 3 Large Potatoes (cubed)
    • Carrots (cubed)
    • Celery (chopped)
    • Green Pepper (chopped)
    Optional:
    • Brown Sugar (1/2 Cup)
    • Heavy Cream Or Sour Cream (1/2 Cup)
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  38. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Wow, that sounds good. I think I need to put it on my to make list.
    Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  39. BigB08822

40. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

You can make tabbouleh with quinoa (instead of bulgur wheat).