FS Music cutters?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, May 23, 2011.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

Are there any music cutters on here? I usually cut my own music. But we are getting to a point the music goes up and down a lot in volume for dramtic affect but her coach who doesnt cut music wants it leveled out more. So its not super quiet at one moment and blowing out the eardrums the next.

Thanks! (still looking for awesome piece of music have a few in mind)

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

What program are you using to cut the music?

If it's something like Audacity or Cacophony, you can highlight the phrase of music that you want to change the volume on, and then set the volume level to less than 100% if you want it to be quieter.

3. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit Active Member

I was just using itunes and doing straight cuts of time! But i think my poor daughter deserves better then that at this point lol.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Then you need to get something that you can edit music files with on the computer. It's almost impossible to use a piece of music for skating without editing it for anything other than time. Most rink PAs are crappy, and you really need to be able to adjust the music to compensate for that. It's also important to be able to change the music so that you're happy with it.

Audacity and Cacophony are the music editing programs that most people use, and they can both be downloaded. You can get a free version of Audacity. I think Cacophony costs something like $15 US, but if you are using a Mac I think it's better and worth the investment.

They both work on the same principle, that they show the file as a soundwave. Then you can cut and paste parts of the music, put different effects on different parts of the music, do fadeins and fadeouts, and so on. You can also take sections from different parts of music and edit them together just by cutting and pasting from different files.

These programs are really easy to learn to use, so I would recommend getting one and playing around with it to see what you can do.

5. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've always used audacity just to cut to the right length of time- cutting off the beginning or end, fade in/fade out.

But my husband has managed to splice together different pieces of the music to make a fairly good track for me. I was impressed.

I'm not at a level yet where I want to pay for music- so I think Audacity is the way to go. It definetly has a control to adjust the volume for the OP.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Audacity is a really good program and it is free.

7. MusicSkateFan

MusicSkateFan New Member

My coach does the actual cutting and volume adjustment. I, however, tell him where to place the cuts and in general pick my own music.

My Process:

I select 4-6 music choices and give the places for cuts, etc.

He selects the piece he feels would be best for my skating at the moment. He comes up with a preliminary cut of the music and we start mapping out the program. I usually make suggestions towards final cuts. My current program needed about 7 seconds of music cut out and my coach did a great edit.

My Music degree finally gets put to use!

8. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I cut my own music and I use Audacity. My tutors at university taught me how to use Audacity for doing radio and TV news stories. It produces a really good quality sound file.

You can also use the Amplify effect to change the volume and bring it all together.

Audacity is really easy to use, and it's absolutely free for Mac or PC and doesn't really have any bugs that I've found. It supports importing most sound file types too, which is really useful.

9. gypsy_82

gypsy_82 New Member

I cut my own music and have cut a few pieces for others. I use garageband, it came on my computer and I really like the program.

I have used audacity and although it is easy to use, I prefer garageband.

10. Integrity

Integrity Active Member

I also cut my own music. Have used Audacity and Goldwave (preference).

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I use Sony CD Architect. It cost about $100 (I've had it for many years). It has more features than I will probably ever use. Most software can be downloaded for a 30 day free trial period. That's how I picked my software, I used it to cut some program music and liked it. It creates only WAV files though.

I have some free software on an old Dell laptop called Jukebox which allows you to rip music and make clips, but it doesn't allow you to combine them into one file. It does however allow you to convert your music clips into just about any file format known to mankind (mp3, wav, wma and more).