From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

Evgeni Plushenko has not qualified through the traditional means, but if you scroll down to the bottom of the mens page, it says under Notes (Google Translate):

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. volotrankov

volotrankov New Member

3. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Update re: Polina Shelepen: http://fcp-press.ru/interview/p2_articleid/5986

Her coach Svetlana Sokolovskaya says, that they are not sure yet if Polina would be able to skate at Russian Nationals. Now they are in Zagreb, because Polina missed competitive experience. She also didn't train last month due to leg injury, and started trying jumps only in last four-five practices. Doctors recommend to take a month off ice, but she says it's unreal. Igor Shpilband is in Zagreb too, Sokolovskaya says he came to see how Polina is doing, but he didn't work with her, since she wasn't able to train properly.

4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh no, sad to hear this.
    donĀ“t know if tis will do polina any favours, if the doctors recommend to take some more time off.
    hope she gets well soon and will be able to be competitve as sooon as possible.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of Polina's injury. I hope she recovers fully and competes next year.

6. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Thank you for the info. But I don't get it.
    Is she going to skate at Zagreb today? Without good signs of recovery form the injury? Will she skate "at her own risk?"
    I'm afraid I misunderstood google translation version of the article.
    Someone please explain her situation right now.

7. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Sokolovskaya said that Polina missed competitions and asked her "Let me compete somewhere", so they decided to go to Zagreb. They don't have any special plans, just want to try to skate both programs in competition and see if Polina is ready for Nationals or it's better to skip it

8. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

Thank you so much, Autumn_girl!!
    Now I understand the situation. Still I don't think it's a good idea to compete before the Nationals if you know you have not fully recover from the injury. Better to concentrate on recovering and practicing for the most important competition. Why can't her coach judge her situation from her daily practices.
    Anyway I hope she can compete at Nationals. It would be too tough for her if she can't.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

10. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Great article on Radionova. Thanks for posting.

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

:lol: Great photo!

13. Sylvia

Tamara Moskvina on Kavaguti/Smirnov's preparation for Nationals and Gerboldt/Enbert's injury status (they are not competing at Nationals): http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/7076.html

Nina Mozer interview titled (according to Google Translate) "We will take action": http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/27090/

Nikolai Morozov interview at GP Final: http://www.championat.com/other/article-146231-nikolaj-morozov--o-finale-gran-pri-v-sochi.html

ETA article link in which Irina Rodnina states her disagreement with the limited number of fans that will be able to attend Russian Nationals in Sochi (no tickets will be on sale to the general public?!): http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20121214/635761304.html

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  14. Sylvia

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Great interview!

Morozov said elsewhere that he fired Kovtun. I wonder if that was part of the dance to or that allowed him to switch coaches. Also, not having a male contender at the same rink may have played a part.

Tarasova always needs a young male to flutter over.

16. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

Julia L. is no longer listed on the official list for nationals. Piseev says due to injury.

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

So no senior nationals then. Maybe junior?

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Would Junior Nationals be more competitive than Seniors, or does everyone over the age of 10 do Senior Nationals?

19. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

As far as I know, only a few elite Junior skaters can be allowed to compete at Senior Nationals.
    This season, five 12-13 y/o single skaters will compete at Senior Nationals. In the past, Sotnikova, Gachinski and Plushenko also started participating in Senior Nationals at the age of 12/13.

But it seems that this is not inalterable rule. For example, there was a special case. When Tuktamysheva took part in her first Senior Nationals, she was only 11 (10/11 years old) :eek:

20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

...didn't she win bronze, too?

21. falling_dance

falling_dance Well-Known Member

She finished 10th in her debut at Russian senior Nationals in December 2007. The next year, at 12, she won the silver, and then the bronze for the next two years after that.

22. Macassar88

http://youngstars.ru/news/2012-12-preemnik-chempiona
    Interview with Maxim Kovtun - he says he's going to do four quads! I'm assuming he'll do a quad toe in the SP and two quad toes and a quad sal in the free since he said that he's doing toe and sal. Who has done four quads successfully before?

Personally I hope that he works on his lip (which is basically a lutz because iirc, he doesn't ever go on the inside edge) because those are just free points he's leaving on the table.

23. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I hope Julia gets better soon ... I bet this is not the way she imagined her first senior season to go :(
    Most importantly I hope she doesn't push herself too hard. She really needs to take her time to heal and I Iremember her coach saying in several interviews that she sometimes has to stop Julia from "overdoing" it.

24. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Tim Goebel always did a 4s in the sp, and I know at least twice (if not more) he managed 3 quads in the lP.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Goebel

I don't think anyone has yet done 4 quads in an LP?

25. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't know if the rules even allow 4 quads in an LP. I know for sure that no one has done 4 quads in an LP.

I think Goebel landed 3 quads in the 2002 Olympics, in his bronze medal performance. He may have landed those in another competition, but I can't remember which.

26. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

27. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am wondering about Trankov's hip injury during the GPF. Is there any news about this? Are they practising regularly?

28. Macassar88

You can do two quads twice and the other four once for a total of eight quads as long as you don't do any triples twice
    for example
    4A-4T, 4Lz, 4F, 4Lo, 4S-4T, 4S

He has a very unique way of jumping - I like it, but it looks a little awkward
    Still a great quad sal though.

29. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

So if Julia's pulled out of nationals I'm guessing that means her injury was more serious than we originally thought...

That's unfortunate. At this point she should probably just take the rest of the season off. She's been to junior worlds and won already, she's obtained the minimum scores she needs for next season...she should take the time off and heal completely.