From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I meant the advantage of her skating injured against Wagner, Asada, and Suzuki. I apologize for not being clear.

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

No problem. :)

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Where did I say that she should skate injured? :lol: I was opining why it sucks especially for her that she can't skate at GPF. Others can at least go to Worlds. Her real season is basically over now.

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Her real season is not over. She has Russian nationals coming in December and she will very likely go to junior worlds if she can't go to senior worlds.

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Isn't Jr. Nationals in January, if she needs a little longer to heal the concussion, and still qualify for Jr. Worlds?

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think junior worlds are in February and I don't think Lipnitskaia needs to qualify. Considering that she placed as the top Russian lady in senior GPs, I am sure they will be more than happy to send her even without attending Russian nationals. Besides, except of Radionova there was no other junior Russian that would do that great during the JGP. Maybe also Pogorilaya did well enough, but the rest, not great. I am pretty sure Lipnitskaia has earned her spot.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Russian Junior Nationals dates are Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2013 in Saransk.

Senior Nationals are Dec. 24-28 in Sochi.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Russia doesn't use Nationals results to determine their World teams as strictly as the US does (in rule for National Champion and in practice).

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not in so many words. You did, however, say:

Your use of the present indicative, "needs," indicates that she has a present need to get experience. What she needs, at the moment, is to heal. Competition experience should not be something for her to worry about right now.

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She does need (present tense) senior international experience, which unfortunately, the injury will prevent her from getting this season and I certainly never implied that she should go to GPF anyway. My comment was a response to suggestions that because she's Russian, GPF is less important for her, since there may be other national competitions organized at the Olympic venue by her federation. IMO getting a chance to test the rink, while important, is/was not as big of a deal for her as an opportunity to test her nerves against the top names one final time this season.

I agree with those that say she doesn't need to go to Nationals in order to get a slot to Jr Worlds. I guess she will go to JW if she can, for the ranking points, but I see it as a competition that carries little benefit (being 2x Jr World champ is not that much more prestigious than Jr World champ), but plenty of risk (losing to Radionova, as Sotnikova dropped to 3rd last year).

11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

anyone want to see the Esquire magazine, they have pages for Trankov, Larionov and Nikita, found some from webpages
    Larionov was in no way hot, he looked like a priest,

Larionov over Smirnov, pls. just because Bazarova/Larionov are Russian No. 2 pairs doesn't mean
    Larionov is more attractive than Smirnov

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yes of course we want to see. :D

13. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree about Smirnov being better looking as well as Tkachenko. I don't think Bobrova is all that attractive but all the pictures were done very well.

I'm not sure how B/L got to be Russia's #2 all of a sudden; coming in ahead of someone who had surgery by only 1.26 points doesn't a dethroning make. If they consistently beat them at the GPF, nationals and Euros in the next couple of months, I will think differently.

I don't know how any got picked (probably not personality and/or looks) but it's a great opportunity for all of them.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I agree. I have also doubts about Bazarova-Larionov being Russians #2. I do think that Kawaguti-Smirnov can beat them most of the time. Saying that, I don't deny how good Bazarova-Larionov really are. It is just that Russia is packed with great pairs. In most other countries Bazarova-Larionov would be #1.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

17. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I agree and to think again that Elena has dumped him for Voldemorozov...:scream:

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  18. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yeah idk. Elena seems like a very sweet and impressionable girl and it would appear Morozov took advantage of that to win her over, and she probably is just excited by the prospect of some older, accomplished man being "in love" with her. It's funny, looking at her in pictures where she's wearing little or no makeup, she looks so young, maybe like 16 or 15, making the age gap with Morozov appear even that more drastic.

Bobrova is very beautiful. I am starting to think that the myth about cameras adding 10 pounds is true though, most skaters look way thinner in photos then they do in videos....it makes me worry about how thin those that look really thin on video (like Vera) are in person :slinkaway:

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

How much the camera puts on goes from zero to a lot. We met Pang/Tong in person when they were the guests for the Colonial Travel dinner in Moscow in 2005, and I was frightened going in, but she looks exactly the same as she does on camera. (His face looked a bit gaunt by comparison.) I also saw Sakhnovski in person as Euros somewhere, and he looked exactly the same weight as he did on ice. (He wore glasses and was quite cute.) Muscular skaters tend to look a lot thicker on camera: Slutskaya is the poster girl for that, when she was quite small in person, and Duhamel would be invisible if she didn't wear PrincessLeppard boots.

20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

mischance :)

22. analia

analia Active Member

Can people just stop bashing Elena for her boyfriend choice? I somewhat understand her taste in men. Nikita might be very cute and Morozov might not be a prince, but being in a relationship with a 21 year old boy is nothing interesting. All they want to talk about is sports and cars. Boys just grow up slower than girls emotionally. In any case it's not a big deal. All these women must see something in Morozov we don't know about... For the record I dated someone older than Morozov in age when I was at Elena's age and it wasn't at all problematic.

This particular gif is ridiculously cute though. http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdzt4eZPpC1rg250oo2_500.gif

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

can someone post a direct link?

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

they are beautiful together... I'm so sad...

25. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

But if she does succesfully defend her title she'll be the first since...when? It's definitely not an insignificant achievement when so many ladies, Mao included have failed to do so.

Analia - I think it's less the age factor and more that Morozov is a known player, not to mention her coach and thus in a position of power (which applied to Miki as well). He deserves all the disgust thrown at him IMO. That Elena is so young just makes it worse, though his record alone should be enough for her to know better.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Proustable

Proustable New Member

For ladies, no one

Rippon - 2008 and 2009
    Sui/Han - 2011 and 2012
    Romaniuta/Barantsev: 2000 and 2001

27. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I agree. Although their relationship started before she would have been considered of "legal" age in almost any other civilized country in the world, and he thus would have been subject to potential arrest of at least sanction from a governing body elsewhere, they are certainly free to have the relationship that makes them happy. He has been married and divorces now, what, 3 times. One or two of the divorces were precipitated by his impregnating someone else while married if I'm not mistaken. All of this is well documented and should certainly be no secret to a smart and savvy girl like Elena. How long will this last is a question once the cash register of support into the Olympics comes and goes, but I wouldn't bet against her and am expecting her to get the last laugh. Keep the ridiculously cute pictures coming!

28. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

They started a relationship when she was 15? Because in quite a few European countries, 16 is the legal age I think. Then again, maybe they don't count as civilized :lol:

29. Fashionista

Fashionista New Member

OMG, do you really think Esquire magazine cares who the first or second pair in Russia is?

That's how legends are born.

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Elena is young, but you can tell she is quite a bright girl. She speaks 3 languages fluently and always appears very sharp in her interviews. I know book smarts and relationship smarts are not the same, but I tend to think, if things were really bad, she would have the sense to get out of the relationship. Also, her mom knows about Morozov and apparently approves of them dating so, for now, I'm not too worried. If they were to get engaged or something, that would be different, but for now I'm just hoping that Elena will have the sense to leave when/if the relationship gets sour.