From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

double post, sorry.

2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Oh, I get that. I meant this season they've had comparable results (i.e., equally bad) but there's a pretty clear-cut difference in the way they've been treated by the RSF. Somehow, "past performance not indicative of future results" is not a disclaimer that gets applied here. I'm sure there are plenty of other non-skating examples where this happens, but I was griping about this since I enjoyed Makarova this season, errors and all. Leonova seems to be getting some suspiciously high scores nationally (LP at Nationals, now Russian Cup), but she still skates scared and stiff from what I saw on youtube.

eta: I agree with the rest of your post. This will most likely be a moot point very soon.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Makarova has at best two triples she can rotate leonova has 4 to 5.

4. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

This is probably Leonova's last hurrah, so I hope she makes the most of it.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If she does poorly at these worlds, i don't believe she will make the Olympic team next year. IMO she made the worlds team this year, despite a poor showing during the season, is that she is the reigning world silver medallist.

I still want to see her do well. May be she will surprise everyone at worlds by skating well. At this point though, I think Russia's 3 spots in the Olympics depend more on the youngsters Liza and Adelina. If Alena skates well, that's a nice surprise.

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Leonove had better up her game next season if she wants to make the Olympic team. Besides Tuk and Adelina who seem to be sure things she will have to fight off Julie, Gosviani and perhaps even Korobeynikova if she can get it together. Even Pogorilaya will be eligible for the Olympics though she's a long shot and will probably stay on the JGP for another year.

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Leonova is a fighter. I don't expect her to be on the Olympic team either, but that doesn't mean her career is over. Sot, Lip, and Tuk are not necessarily going to claim every spot on every Euro/World team for the next 5 years. Everyone has their ups and downs. Maybe she can be like Sokolova and Arakawa (Olympic team members in 1998 and 2006, but not 2002).

8. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Biruykova isn't better, she withdrew from the russian cup this week-end (I think). Korobeinikova bombed both LP at russian national and this week. Sorry but they don't deserve more than Makarova to be on the list.

9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think the difference is that it is Leonova's first season when she skates bad and Makarova's second season. Last year Makarova has been already skating bad and she kept getting the benefit of doubt, but this season she stopped being held up. Leonova has been getting the benefit of doubt this season, but I think if next season she still doesn't deliver, they will stop holding her up.

10. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Leonova also has Worlds and GPF medals while Makarova's best international result is silver from one of the Grand Prix events. But next season, of course, Alena probably won't get second chances anymore with Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya in the mix. I'd say, she has to be perfect at Worlds and next season competitions to have a chance for Olympic team spot, and it still may not be enough

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that Bazarova/Larionov really should go to Pavlova. She's great at developing the whole package and giving her skaters interesting programs and this is something B/L have been really lacking.

With Lipnitskaia and Pogorilaya age eligible for the Olympics, Leonova's chances of making the team are pretty much none. Of course stranger things have happened, so hopefully she'll keep on fighting.

I just wish she left Morozov asap.

She lost it a long time ago.

Single axel is not an illegal element in the SP.

12. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Nothing related to directly to skating but isn't this Marina Anissina's husband. I knew he was bit crazy (to some extent her too) but not to this level.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The video of him singing whilst she's giving birth (giving us all a lovely view of her uterus) wasn't crazy enough for you? ;)

14. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Oh my God, I completely missed that one....:eek:

I wish I had stopped the urge to youtube the word, my god ...

15. bek

bek Guest

There are very good youngsters coming up who will also be challenging for spots. The year after the Olympics Radionova will be eligible and then the next year Serafina etc.

16. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Seraphima Sakhanovich was born in Feb. 2000 so she's age-eligible for ISU Junior events in 2013-14 but will have to wait until she is 15 to be age-eligible for Senior B/GP comps in 2015-16 due to the ISU's new minimum Senior age rule that takes effect in 2014-15.

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

To me, the video that showed them presumably conceiving the baby was more cringeworthy, especially since Marina used to be such a private person. :scream:

18. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Can you just tell us what he did? I don't understand Russian. I can see him dancing in the video but I have no idea what this is about.

19. bek

bek Guest

I know she won't be eligible for three years for Senior competitions but I'm just stating that the Russians have a lot of young talent coming up....

20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Why not give the kid a chance? Because he doesn’t deserve it (yet)? Actually it was up to Kovtun to prove he should go to Worlds – all he needed to do was to show up at Russian Cup Final and skate at least equally good than the others. :rolleyes:

And as you mentioned Menshov had years to prove – while a 5th spot at Nationals earned Kovtun a spot at World, placing 4-6th place at Nats consistently some years ago didn’t give Menshov even a chance to get a GP event. Russian Fed decided to send younger skaters who placed behind him. Guess it’s hard to prove yourself without a chance to do so. :(

In addition skaters might have different pace in their development, e.g. not everybody has the chance to train with elite coaches from teenage years like Kovtun. On the other hand some skaters seem so promising as teenagers and then they lose it completely (e.g. Gachinski), others might develop slower when being younger, but speed up later on. – Shall they be banned for good of the team? I just think of how many great performance we had in figure skating thanks to late bloomers (e.g. Paul Wylie).

I didn’t see substitutes listed on that link that was posted here? Is there another list around with the substitutes? I’m a big fan of Makarova, but as much as I love her, as she didn’t participate in Russian Cup, I think it’s pretty fair if she isn’t listed. Her scores at Nats compared to Leonova is of course another story. :slinkaway

Well, Makarova had better TES than Leonova at Russian Nats. To put things into perspective this season both girls skated pretty much equally worse technique wise. :eek:

As she is one of my favourite skaters I hope that she just made a good strategic decision – if competing at Russian Cup Final, she’d probably once more lost to Leonova, not matter how she skated if judging would have been the same like at Nationals. It’s definitely smarter to quietly regain strength, cure injuries, stabilize technique and fight back in full force next season. Beside that as she didn’t skate many competitions this year, she might keep her gorgeous long programme for the Olympic season. :inavoid:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  21. sykr

sykr Guest

As far as I know, he was joking on his twitter, saying something like "if this tweet gets 2012 retweets before 12/12/2012 I will dance in the skirt on the Red Square in order to save the Earth" (before the 21/12) or something similar. He got 2000 retweets in less than 6 hours, so he had to go:p Latter, he did the full clip featuring this "dance", his meeting with fans and also Marina....and created probably the most famous Russian remake of Gangnam style. The clips are really crazy, but they do actually nothing bad to anyone and as far as I know, the videos are quitte popular on russian internet;)

As for the giving birth videos,... I was quitte shocked, because, exactly as Asli said, Marina used to be a private person. But the comment about uterus is simply ridiculous. Sorry, but the only delicate thing you can see are her breasts while breast-feeding.;)

I can't say I appreciate all those videos,...otoh when I watch some of recent Marina's photoshoots with her familly, I'm really happy for her, she's really shining:) I will send some exemples where it belongs, to not continue the off topic :)

22. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

The ISU published the Worlds entries and subs last week as follows:

30 Alena LEONOVA RUS 25
    31 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 25
    32 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 25
    Sofia BIRYUKOVA RUS 25 S
    Nikol GOSVIANI RUS 25 S
    Polina KOROBEYNIKOVA RUS 25 S

34 Maxim KOVTUN RUS 25
    Artur GACHINSKI RUS 25 S
    Konstantin MENSHOV RUS 25 S
    Sergei VORONOV RUS 25 S

16 Vera BAZAROVA / Yuri LARIONOV RUS 11
    17 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS 11
    18 Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV RUS 11
    Anastasia MARTIUSHEVA / Alexei ROGONOV RUS 11 S
    Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV RUS 11 S

23 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 19
    24 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS 19
    25 Ekaterina RIAZANOVA / Ilia TKACHENKO RUS 19
    Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN RUS 19 S
    Victoria SINITSINA / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN RUS 19 S

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Katarzyna

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Bwahaha.

For those that are interested she said North America is familiar and comfortable. ;)

I don't like that Morozov told them it was too early to start working hard for Worlds. Blah.

26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I read it more as the 'other pair of Russia' not necessarily the second.

27. Katarzyna

But like in English there is a different word for other in Russian language ("другой"), the term she used ("второй") definitely means the 2nd and not the other. So even if she didn't use that term intentionally, I think it gives you an impression how Elena Ilinykh perceives the ranking between both teams. :lol:

28. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Do you think it was deliberate? She really thinks they are the first pair?

30. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

They won the Euros free skate!