From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

2. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Interesting that they are insisting on a test skate for K&S. I wonder if the Russian fed is hoping K&S blow it and then they can just send S&K to get experience.

Between V&T and B&L, they'll easily qualify three spots for the Olympics anyway.

3. MorganaLefay

MorganaLefay Active Member

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I am not so sure. B&L have not competed in a long time due to injury, they split from their coach. They could have a total meltdown. IMO K&S are a safer bet than either B&L or S&K (definitely the latter, because they are nowhere as consistent as they were last season).

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

B/L, K/S and S/K were all going to go to the Russian Cup Final but Yuri had just got sutures taken out a week before from a fractured wrist. Smirnov had the flu for a few weeks so the only team out of that group was S/K and they were underwhelming.

K/S would be the best choice unless illness is a factor. If the Russian Fed just wanted them to "blow it" they wouldn't even bother watching them and send S/K, but in reality why would they do that?

Just this season K/S and S/K competed four times;

Cup of China
    K/S-2nd
    S/K-3rd

Trophee Eric Bompard
    K/S-1st
    S/K-5th

Nationals
    K/S-2nd
    S/K-3rd

Euros
    K/S-5th
    S/K-6th

K/S highest total score this season is 187.99; S/K highest score is 172.55.

K/S have finished either 3rd or 4th at four out of six World Championships. The were either 3rd or 4th in the free skate five out of six times. That is a pretty good record, so unless they are still really sick or injured I would send them.

I hope B/L are fine to compete; it reminds me of what happened to K/S last season with a great GP series, no nationals, no Euros not skating for a while and coming off an injury. Plus an obvious coaching problem, I hope they can shake it off.

6. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Stobova/Klimov ? pls
    I'll take Antipova/Maisuradze, hope thay get an Olympic spot next season :cheer2:

7. morqet

morqet Active Member

8. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

10. Loves_Shizuka

Not surprising, but still... Menshov should be wondering what it is he has to do :lol: Maybe come back next season as a twenty year old?

11. Loves_Shizuka

Well... no, actually.

12. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Not surprising but I can't help but feel :( for Gosviani. At least she got a shot at Euros and imo didn't disappoint there with her 6th place. I am not counting out Alena but I am not impressed after watching her performances from Russia Cup. Yes, she landed her jumps, but she really wasn't that convincing ...

13. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Perhaps they will send Menshov to WTT?

15. bek

bek Guest

I don't think its inconsistent. Leonova's the reiigning world silver medalist. Menshov isn't. And I don't think not attending the Russian Cup would have been the answer.

16. morqet

morqet Active Member

Quite. And even with her horrible international results this year, Leonova still has a better season's best score than Gosviani, and she will benefit from a better draw in the SP.

17. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Her SB is only 30th and her WS is preety low so her only Grand Prix chances are a host pick at Cup of Russia, which I Hope she gets.

18. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Probaby she should've had. It workd for Kovtun :shuffle::rolleyes:

19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

His best chance is to be consistent, hope the other guys do poorly on the GP, win a few GP medals, beat everyone but Plushy at Nats, and make the top 5 at Euros. I think his only way to make it next season is if the other men are in such bad shape that Russia is worried that they will be embarrassed in Sochi with performances like 2012 Worlds. In that case, they might send Menshov if he is skating well. Otherwise it will be Gachinski or Kovtun, to set them up for 2018.

20. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I can't help to think that this is a mess and could have been handled differently. For the european championships there was all that discussion about Menshov/Kovtun and some people mentioned that it would be ok to pick Kovtun cause the third place at nationals doesn't make it mandatory to pick that skater. But what to say about the selection decision for worlds? Isn't Voronov the silver medalist from nationals?
    Whatever...
    Anyway I wish Kovtun good luck for worlds and hopefully he will manage to get a top 10 place.

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think that only applied to Euros, and the Worlds team is in the federation's discretion.

22. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

This federation’s decisions are getting more and more disgusting. :blah: I need some big puke icon. :mad:

It’s funny that Gosviani’s 6th place finish in a strong ladies field at Euros was considered as so weak that she had to do a test skate against Leonova, who performed subpar in any competition she entered before Russian Cup. And it’s even more funny, how Kovtun’s 5th place finish in a weak field at Euros was so brilliant to release him from any duty to skate at Russian Cup, despite except for Voronov he didn’t beat any skater at Euros, Menshov has not had beaten this season in previous competitions. – Guess, the real reason for Russian Fed not wanting Kovtun to participate at the Russian Cup was that they feared he might be beaten by Menshov and in worst case even by Voronov, which would have made Russian Fed look pretty stupid. :HA!:

Gives you certainly a hint how fair the decision making process worked. :rolleyes:

Actually I even feel for Voronov, though I don’t really like his skating. Anyways :respec: to Menshov & Voronov for skating well at Russian Cup, despite both guys for sure knew that it actually doesn't matter how they skate, as Russian Fed had already decided to send Kovtun to World. It must be hard to have a job, which is as demanding as FS, but knowing, that your performance does not count, but rather right age, politics and reputation. However, in the long term I don’t think Russian Fed is doing to themselves any favour with such course of action. :(

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Russia is looking to the future with their Men so that's why they are sending Kovtun. It's not like Voronov or Menshov hadn't had years after Plushenko to take the reins of the Russian Mens program an keep them competitive which they haven't. And lets face it at 25 and 30 they don't have many years left. So why not give the kid a chance? It's not like someone like Gachinski is any better in fact right now he's a disaster. That Bronze he won at Worlds in 2011 is looking more and more like a fluke. He's only 19 so he has time to turn it around but right now he can't be counted on either.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  24. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

They said Menshov and Voronov are going to WTT in the icenetwork article. I feel bad for Gosviani and Menshov, but on the bright side, should the ladies not get 3 spots and should Kovtun not place top 10 and get the men 2, at least they won't have to deal with that disappointment from the fed and/or the pressure to really deliver beforehand. Hopefully Leonova and Kovtun hold it together.

25. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Yes, no surprises.
    I really like Gosviani, but I understand that Leonova's last year's Silver gives her certain priviledges. Hope Gosviani gets GP next year.
    Kovtun /Menshov is an understandable, but a sad situation. It seems that Menshov did everythig in his power to prove himself.

26. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

I'm so sad for Makarova, she's not even listed as substitute for Worlds

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To be fair, this is her second season she has not been skating well, so what would you expect?

28. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I can see why she's getting the cold shoulder, but she wasn't any worse than Leonova season. It's pretty clear a former World medal counts for a lot in Piseev (and the rest of the federation)'s eyes.

29. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I thought it might be an issue of minimum score, but apparently Makarova has both scores now that they've been revised. I am thinking that not participating at all in the Russian cup final basically excluded her from consideration, given that the rest of her season was poor. The other ladies alternates were on the roster, although Biryukova withdrew. Perhaps not signing up was basically a way of her saying she declines to contend for a spot. I mean, why train just so you can possibly be second alternate at best, rather than recovering from a tough season and getting a head start on the Olympic year?

30. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Overall, Leonova has been the more successful skater - eleven senior international medals vs. Makarova's two. I think Makarova's being dumped and Leonova isn't far behind, despite the medals. Now that Tuktamysheva and Sotnikova are finally age-eligible, the Russian Fed doesn't really need the older girls anymore.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013