From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

At the Russian Cup, Menshov is leading after the SP with 81.46, followed by Voronov with 79.03. Bush is in a far third place with 69.35. Gachinski is down in 8th place with 56.01.

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Gachinski's results are getting terrible this whole season

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Is this competition supposed to be just a skate off between Gosviani and Leonova? What happens if a third person who also bombed Nationals (in this case perhaps Polina K?) ends up beating them both?

Same for men - is this just a local competition? Since Kovtun is not skating, the result of this competition won't affect the world berth right?

4. love_skate2011

5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Who knows what the men's competition is going to mean at this point, although I would assume that unless Menshov or Voronov skates a total blinder, Kovtun has the lock on World's team.

Gachinski needs to let his skating talk for him, which this year has been saying "I need to regroup". Spouting off about his plans to do 48 quads or whatever at an event doesn't seem to set his mind up for success at this point.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  7. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone actually knows. Including those supposedly in the know :lol:

8. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

:fragile:

Does anyone know what went wrong for Gachinski?

9. Loves_Shizuka

IIRC he doubled the quad sal and fell out, barely held onto a 3t-2t and then singled the axel :(

10. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

11. misskarne

Well, at least he went for the two quad short. That's a positive step! I hope he can hold it together in the long.

I know he got a deduction for the single Axel (illegal element), but what was the other deduction for?

12. Sylvia

Gachinski didn't receive any deductions in his SP - ETA: Dmitriev did, however, so I think you mixed up your Arturs in checking the results.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Wasn't the deadline for Worlds entries the 17th? Does that mean they submitted entries in the middle of the Russian cup?

14. Sylvia

They're fine as long as all the names of the skaters under consideration for Worlds are submitted as entries or substitutes.

15. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I really really like Menshov, definitely my favorite Russian man. There is something in his skating that just holds my attentions throughout the program, I feel like there is a purpose in his movements, that he understands the music he is skating to and not just doing the elements with the music at the background. Sad he developed consistency so late that Tarasova and Piseev are not even considering him as a contender.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Has the Russian Fed stated that it was only a skate-off between Gosviani and Leonova? If so, then no one knows how Korobeinikova would have skated under the pressure of earning a spot. With nothing to lose, skaters can outperform themselves. If not, then while she wasn't the one in the spotlight, as she wouldn't be as Russia No.3 aanyway, then it's different narrative.

17. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Konstantin Menshov won the russian cup series today with 233.92. Voronov finished in 2nd with 230.44. Gachinski was able to recover in the fs and ended in 4th overall with 193.88.
    Now let's see what the Russian Fed decides...

:watch:

EDIT: Leonova won with 171.99. Polina Agafonova (who's been having a difficult season) came second with 169.60. Gosviani was third with 166.06. Korobeynikova dropped to sixth overall.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  18. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I think Kovtun should go

19. love_skate2011

20. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

It doesnt matter anyway, the pressure of keeping 3 spots falls om sotnikova and tuktamisheva's shoulders :shuffle:

21. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

This. The third skater is really irrelevant in this case so while it matters to Leonova and her team, it really doesn't matter who that skater is in the greater interest of the federation.

I am so impressed with Nikol's progress this season. She's old enough to be past the body changes and has had good competition experience. I'm really looking forward to watching her over the next quad. The depth of the Russian ladies is just phenomenal.

22. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I knew Alena had it in her. :respec:

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

24. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Alena may have done well in her free skate but peaking at a Russian Cup event is not ideal and she didn't win the free by much. I would still have to think long and hard about sender her if she can't skate well when it counts.

25. Loves_Shizuka

I'm pleased for Alena, though she's clearly lacking confidence, despite landing her jumps in that LP. I miss the Alena of two years ago really :( This LP is so....dreary. And how long did she set up for that loop for?!

26. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

27. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

It was a Liashenko-worthy setup, wasn't it?

28. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I miss Liashenko. I could go to the refrigerator and and back while she was setting up a jump.

robinhood and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Loves_Shizuka

Ahhhhh... Liashenko :respec:

30. misskarne

Don't make sad face, lala! It wasn't that bad! He only fell once this time, he tried the two quads, and everything seemed to come off reasonably (except the wonky Axel!). Did he nail the first 4S attempt or am I messing up my rotation counts again? Anyway, he made it through the program, I kind of like the new 3S-2a sequence. He's obviously trying new things and their focus now is clearly on the Olympics next year.

My only concern is that he was exhausted with about a minute to go. He pushed through, but there was none of his usual liveliness through the choreo step. I wonder if this is an issue related to his previous problems, where maybe he couldn't train properly and has just lost a little stamina? But I was glad to see him fight through to the end. Viva Artur!~

So we're back to Kovtun vs Menshov again, it would seem. Go Menshov.