From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

NONKO posted in the Yagudin thread:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-and-Youtube&p=3837664&viewfull=1#post3837664 (includes video & photo links)

ETA link to schedule/entries for Russia Cup Final in Tver, Feb. 16-19, posted in the Russia Cup thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...12-13-season&p=3830161&viewfull=1#post3830161

ETA#2: Kovtun is not listed in the entries.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. analia

analia Active Member

I always thought Nikita just isn't strong enough to do more acrobatic lifts, or that Elena isn't flexible enough. Over the years I/K hasn't had one really amazing lift. Zhulin wasn't terrible at designing good lifts.

3. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

What exactly needs to happen at the Russian Cup to change/decide the world teams? Is it whomever wins goes? Or ...what?

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Kavaguti and Smirnov are not going to Tver. K/S and B/L will be evaulated later on for Worlds.

5. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. Dance truth

Dance truth New Member

The man is full of horse shit!!!
    I bet this is some play

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

If the chosen people do well even if losing they go. it's a test of skills not a winner goes thing like nationals.

8. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Surprising, but I must admit I'm relieved; if something unexpected happens and he goes to JW instead I'm glad he'll be fresh.

I would imagine that it'll be the content and quality of the programs looked at as well as the result. At the end of the day Kovtun's still a Junior, and he doesn't do a quad in the short (I think? Correct me if he did one at Euros!). If, say, Artur managed this two-quad short he's talking about with reasonable quality, well...that'd sure be tempting.

No Kovtun, so this has become a straight shootout between Voronov, Menshov and Gachinski, and presumably they'll be compared to Kovtun's Euros performance. Only with JW starting on the 25th, they better not linger over the decision!

9. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

no K/S and B/L
    whats the use for pairs competition in this event ?

well at least there is Antipova/Maisuradze :cheer2:

10. Lyinna

Lyinna Member

Unless Kolyada or Samarin is injured I don't think Kovtun will go to JW. it would be a shameful thing to do

11. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Kovtun has a 4T/3T in the short program and he landed this combination cleanly at Euros.

12. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

K/S-one of them is getting over the flu and Larionov just has sutures taken out of his hand last week (he fractured his wrist) S/K should be there. :)

13. misskarne

Ah, I wasn't sure. Thankyou.

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Kovtun is likely not attending the test skates because his spot on the World team is pretty much secure. I think the only way he doesn't go to Worlds is if Voronov and/or Gatchinski skates a blinder at test skates, otherwise Kovtun goes.

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

16. misskarne

I agree, but I think it's also a sensible decision in the regard that IF something crazy happens, he's not going to be exhausted right before JW.

17. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

18. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

:lol: No, it's Polina Gagarina, a Russian singer.

Thanks for the link, dinakt. :)

19. Jeschke

haha, thanks.
    a singer? ok, doesnt sound like one :p

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She sounds like a singer to me, and her English doesn't have a trace of accent.

He can hold a tune, and he certainly can dance, but I don't think he should be giving up his day job yet. On the other, hand, if Russell Crowe can get paid big bucks to sing... Plus, he seems to have a good sense of humor about himself, and is game for this.

21. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Rough start for Leonova at the Cup Series, she is currently in 4th after the SP with a score of 57.90 and already 7 points behind the leader Gerasimova (who is not age-eligible for Worlds, right?). Korobeynikova in second, Gosviani in third, a little over a point seperates them, so I guess the Worlds spot will be battled out between those two.

22. Sylvia

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

So because there was no improvement from leonova it shows her season is over and basically really her career.

24. morqet

morqet Active Member

25. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thanks for the vid! She looks like she's in good shape and she was really selling it. I hope she'll move up, to make it interesting.

26. Jeschke

she's absolutely in reach.
    let's wait for the free skate.

27. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Don't be overdramatic. Because of her standings she will get GP events. She may skate decently the next season and if she does, they will put her on the team for Europeans/Worlds/Olympics.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

She is not a genius singer (but few are), still, her singing is okay. The show is Russian 'Singing With The Stars' where singers perform in duos with non-singer stars.

29. Sylvia

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain he's not going to JW. It starts next week, idk if there would even be time to get the Visa at this point. I think it's either Worlds or nothing for Kovtun, unless one of the two entrants to JW becomes injured. Only one ISU championship counts towards WS points anyways, and his 5th at Euros was a good result. Most likely he is going to Worlds though because if it was really up in the air I think he would have been pressured to attend this event.