From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. bek

bek Guest

I think it makes a lot of sense as long as Leonova does well at the test skate to send Leonova over Gosviani. She's the reigning World Silver medalist, and I think sending her with the other two maximizes their shot at 3 spots for the Olympics. Adelina and Elizaveta are young, so its a good idea to have Leonova there.

2. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Will Leonova compete at another B competition before Worlds? Or will her next appearance be the test skate? When will the test skate take place?

I have to say I really enjoyed watching Gosviani at Europeans. She really stood out in her practice group and she is a skater that you can't take your eyes off.

3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

5. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed watching her too. Granted her jumps are a bit wonky but I like her balletic style (much more than Leonova).

I hope Lipnitskya's jumps make it through puberty. She really is a gorgeous skater.

6. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Unless puberty kills her, I think Radionova will totally slay the next quadrennial.

That 3lutz/3toe/3toe combo (!!!) was performed with hardly any effort. As if she was doing 2/2/2.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  8. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Well, before getting too excited I'd wait for her development the next years.
    Last season Lipnistkaia was jumping as effortless as elena and, although, she looks good in the practice, all of her jumps have a laborious quality

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. love_skate2011

agreed, looking at that practice videos, I actually think Lipnitskaya has higher jumps than Radionova
    and Julia's landings are more secure while Elena's tend to be a bit wobbly

10. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Standings after the ladies SP:
    1. Elena Radionova - 68.45
    2. Serafima Sakhanovich - 67.49
    3. Julia Lipnitskaya - 67.03

The depth is just insane! And I think I have found my new favorite Russian wunderkind - Serafima :swoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEfYvQODJLg
    Imo she has what Radionova but especially Lipnitskaya lack so far - she is delicate, has lovely soft skating and holds her positions exquisitely! There is no rushing through her movements or her choreography.

11. love_skate2011

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  12. bek

bek Guest

I'm not as into Radionova as others. Her short strikes me as so gangly (although the long is better) Serafima! though I must say I adore. I think the difficulty is who is going to even make it out of Russia... (With Adelina, Tukt, Radionova, Julia (etc)... Its hard to know with puberty who will last and who won't...

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This girl is wonderful. Who says you can't take your time to present yourself just because you are a junior?

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Someone should tell her that she will never get a level 4 on the closing layback if she keeps rotating the I position in her combination spin for 8 revs or more and use up the 8 rev feature.

15. love_skate2011

16. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

:swoon: I agree, she's wonderful!

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Bringing up zhang is just going way too far at this point. Could be like a sotnikova 2012. It's Russian jr nationals where there is just unreal unprecedented talent.

18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Could also be a beginning of puberty. Around this time a year ago both Adelina and Liza's body started changing. That doesn't necessarily mean that she will struggle. Julia not at her best will be probably better than most European skaters.

19. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I am really hoping that this won't be true! She's lovely!!

At the risk of stating the obvious, gosviani should be sent to worlds coz:

She looks like a sweet, hard working teenager. Not overly aggressive like a few other russian wonderbabies, which is lovely to see
    She is coached by Urmy and therefore has an artistik and dramatik flair
    Her short programme is soft and lovely, skated to tinkly winkly piano muzak by Joe Hisaishi
    Her long programme is also lovely, skated to dramatik violin concerto (gizmos music a few years back)
    She has a cool long and windy (if a little wonky) entry to the flip jump
    She went from being the third alternate for Russian Nationals to the third best senior lady!
    She achieved the worlds minimum TES (admittedly a little by the skin of her teeth)
    (most importantly) she will spare us the sight of morozov and leonovas AWFUL programs this season and her tragic splatting and crawling over the ice (I do like leonova, but ....)

Apologies for my gushing over gosviani. Me loves the underdog skating lights out!!!

20. love_skate2011

21. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Russian junior team: http://fsrussia.ru/news/442_sostav-sbornoj-na-chempionat-mira-sredi-yuniorov/

Ladies - Elena Radionova, Julia Lipnitskaya, Anna Pogorilaya
    Men - Mikhail Kolyada, Alexander Samarin
    Pairs - Lina Fedorova/Maxim Miroshkin, Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov, Kamilla Gainetdinova/Ivan Bich
    Ice dance - Valeria Zenkova/Valery Sinitsin, Evgenia Kosygina/Nikolai Moroshkin, Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin

ETA Just saw it was posted already in the Kiss and Cry :eek:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  22. Sylvia

It's fine to cross-post this information here. :)

This means that Maxim Kovtun will very likely be competing at Worlds?

23. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I guess this means that Yankovskaia and Mozgov have been thrown away? Time to change coaches...

24. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Too bad for Vigalova/Zakroev . Also Yanovskaya/Mozgov seem to be dumped.

25. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I don't think Yanovskaya/Mozgov have been dumped...they won the FS at junior nationals with the highest TES and PCS. It looks like they just made mistakes technically in the SD (levels?) and couldn't make up the necessary ground.

26. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

As he is not listed on the Junior Worlds presumably yes. Well there is the answer if Menshov will receive any chance to make the team by skating well at Russian Cup. Not even if he lands three quads and I guess everybody from the officials knew it beforehand. :blah:

But it is unfair if one skater competed in Juniors and the other one in Senior GP against reigning senior world medalists, i.e. if you compare results that are not suited for such comparison. And it is in particular unfair if the Fed on one case takes results (Kovtun – Menshov) but in the other case they don`t though skaters competed at the same event (skate off between Gachinski – Menshov) in case Kovtun skated badly at Euros. I also don’t see the spot of Kovtun at Worlds justified just because of his admittedly great free skate at Euros – it`s not as if he’d beaten Menshov there, he simply got a possibility to shine and took advantage of it, while another skater didn`t receive this possibility though he really deserved it. Actually there should be a skate of between Kovtun and Menshov at Russian Cup or right before Worlds - then both skaters would have equal chances to get that spot.

What I find in particular annoying about the whole affair is that Russian Fed just so obviously didn’t want to send Menshov to any major senior events due to his age and their bad situation with regards to possible lack upcoming skaters after 2014. No matter what results Menshov produces, RF will find ways to send someone else. Let`s assume Kovtun goes to Worlds and manages to place top 10. Guess what will happen next year at Nats – even in case Menshov would beat Kovtun again and even if he would have had better results in the senior GP, RF will again send Kovtun arguing he had better results at major ISU championships last year. Anyone taking the risk to bet with me here? :EVILLE:

Well, if an employer pays you based on employment contract, is he entitled to give his employees discriminatory treatment? I don’t think that financial support of skaters entitles the Fed to act completely randomly. It`s not like they without having any benefit of it support the skaters` personal hobby, but their job. Skaters usually sacrifice a lot for it (e.g. better education, job opportunities, making some good money from “normal work” when they are young and last but not least their health is quite often at stake) and if they work hard enough to “earn” a spot on the team, then the fed should send them, no matter if it does not fit their personal preferences or not. In addition it’s not a one way train, as far as I know Russian fed takes some amount of the price money the skaters earn – at least this was the case a couple of years ago. It’s not like the pay for training without having an own interest in the success of their skaters. :saint:

I too want Gosviani at Worlds - and that comes from a big fan of Ksenia Makarova (who might have a better chance as a substitute in case Govsiani would not go). I really think Nicole Gosviani worked well to deserve that spot. :)

Wow, this girl looks really mature on the ice for being a junior. How old is she? :eek:

27. Sylvia

Maria Sotskova's date of birth is April 2, 2000, so she is 12 right now.

Re-posting this useful list and hanca's link from the Russian Nationals thread in Kiss and Cry:
    (Note: Birthdates at this link are listed day/month/year.)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  28. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Sylvia - thank you for the info! :)

Can't believe Sotskova is only 12! :eek:

29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Now its all about kovtun and its too bad that menshov is pushed aside.

There is no way makarova with her triple jump would be a good substitute.

30. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

So you want Menshov to be sent ahead of Voronov, who comfortable beat him at the nationals ??? Kovtun did well at the JGPF and did very well at the Europeans against a very good field by finishing 5th. So Kovtun has shown to be more than capable of doing well on a senior stage. Something Menshov failed to do when he was the Russian champion, and had a disaster at the europeans. The point being, Menshov had the opportunity and he failed before, as for russian nationals, he narrowly won the bronze.

RSF had set up its rule and it followed the rules, just because you didn't happen to read them does not mean that it did not exist. The rules said the best two athletes at the national (plushy and Voronov) and third spot would be decided by the coaches council. The coaches council narrowly decided to give the spot to Kovtun. These rules have always existed and Russians have used this rule before, example sending Leonova over Petushkova to the europeans few years ago. If you like to follow national results so closely, how are expecting Makarova as a substitute if Gosiani would not go. Should the opportunity not go to Leonova, who beat Makarova ...