From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Liza even needs to medal at GPF to get a bye to Euros. I mean, none of the other ladies in Russia were even close to making it, besides Lip, who is too young and now injured anyways, so as long as Liza doesn't tank at GPF, I think she might well get a bye to Euros anyway. If Leonova and Sotnikova can pull themselves together by Russian Nats, they are the logical two to accompany her, if not it will come down to the others, but really, the content the likes of Makarova, Korobeynikova, and Biryukova have shown on the GP this season really isn't worthy of a Euros or World birth in a place with such a deep field like Russia. If Korobeynikova could start attempting the same content as last season and be consistent with it, that would be another story, but that's a big if. Also if Shelepen is even recovered she appears to now be a non-factor as her skating, jumping, and consistency appears to have regressed since going to Sokolovskaya. I doubt she can be back to her 2011 form by Nats and even if she could, her PCS and SP are generally issues.
  2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Julia :( :( That really sucks, with no potential for Euros and Worlds this was her last opportunity to compete senior internationally this season.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Does it mean Mirai goes to GPF?

Never mind. Just saw that Christina Gao will be Julia's replacement. I am bummed that Julia had to withdraw.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I do agree that, barring complete disaster/injury, Liza will be going to Euros/Worlds. My interest is in the other spots. Sot's issues seem to be growing and Leonova seems off this year :( Makarova seems her same-old self and the regression of the Polina's saddens me. Russian Nats could be as crazy as ever :D
  7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kid must be hurt pretty bad for her / the Rus Fed to decide to have her miss out competing on Sochi ice.
  8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I must have missed why she isn't planning on going to nationals. I can se why she had to wd from Sochi but she should be fine by nationals.
  9. pinky166

Russian Nationals is a lot earlier than in Nations like the US, usually around Christmastime so just a couple weeks after the GPF. If she's battling a cold, going to that many competitions so close together (TEB, GPF, Nationals) could wear her out and affect her for the rest of the season. I think Mishin is saying that competing so much last season is what hurt Liza at Nationals, initially he said if she doesn't make GPF that may be for the best, but she ended up making it and where it is in Sochi and she's the only age-eligible Russian to qualify, it's important she competes and not withdraw, but because she has decided to make this decision, she may be very tired after and/or her immune system further weakened, meaning it's unlikely she'd be in great condition to compete at Nationals almost directly afterward, so she could place like 6th again like last season. If she skates well at GPF, fed might just say she can go to Euros and does not have to compete at Nationals, then Liza gets a chance to rest and doesn't have to worry about not placing top 3 because she's sick or tired - everyone else in the field would have had plenty of time to rest and repair b/c they did not make GPF, so that gives them advantage, but we saw on the GP Liza is head and shoulders ahead of the rest (besides Julia) at this point, so barring disaster at GPF, that should be enough to punch her ticket to Euros (esp. b/c there are 3 spots, if there were only 2 it might be different) and skipping Nationals may allow her to perform better once there.
  10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I don't think it is fair to say this. Polina has done reasonably well in her first senior B competition, and from then on it went downhill, but it was because she was injured. There was some opening rink in Sochi exhibition/small Russian internal competition and she was made to skate there despite her injury, so it is a bit harsh to blame her that she then messed up her first GP event and withdrew from the second one. She shouldn't have skated in the event in Sochi, heal and then have stronger GP event. Unfortunately the skating politics...
  11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Maybe not. I don't think for Russians it is so important to compete in GPF on Sochi ice, because their skating Federation can organise a number of competition there to give them chance to get to know the venue and feel there comfortable. I think it is more important from skaters from other countries because they may not have any other opportunities to get used to the venue.
  12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Exactly: as long as the facility is finished (enough), they can do test skates, training camps, etc. there. Russian Nationals 2013 might be held too late, as it might clash with the Olympic preparations, but it might also be a great operational beta test.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Except she wouldn't be facing Wagner or Asada or Suzuki at those domestic competitions.
  14. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Because she would never ever face them at other comps ;)
    Just won't happen on Sochi ice...
  15. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Julia needs to get all of the international high level experience she can before the Olympics, and that's why GPF is important. That it takes place in Sochi would hopefully have given her extra fan support and drive to do well, which helps. A GPF medal would have been a boost for next season. But I know most people here think she sucks anyway and therefore shouldn't be worried about her chances for the Olympics. :(
  16. bek

bek Guest

Well she needs all the experience she can get it I think its good they are protecting her. She still made the GPF. And has next year to establish herself too.
    hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't think she sucks at all. She is lovely, talented, and driven. All she needs is some experience and some improvement in her jumps. Next year's GP series should do that for her. I thought she had a very good chance of medalling at this year's GPF, and it's hard to say what shape her body will be in next year, so it's a pity that she missed this opportunity. Right now she, Liza, and Adelina are the top 3 ladies in Russia. Right now I don't see anyone else catching up with these three. Elena Radionova is too young to go to the Olympics.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not if she's recovering from a concussion, she doesn't. A concussion is a brain injury, and recovery can take weeks or even months. During that time, she should be off the ice.
  19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If she were healthy, and her coach was doing one of the Linichuk-lite manipulations, I would think it was a bad idea to pull her, but if she's injured, I'm not sure what the advantage would be.
  20. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She is clearly injured, and the advantage of pulling out is that it will help her heal, and not risk her future.
  21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I meant the advantage of her skating injured against Wagner, Asada, and Suzuki. I apologize for not being clear.
  22. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

No problem. :)
  23. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Where did I say that she should skate injured? :lol: I was opining why it sucks especially for her that she can't skate at GPF. Others can at least go to Worlds. Her real season is basically over now.
  24. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Her real season is not over. She has Russian nationals coming in December and she will very likely go to junior worlds if she can't go to senior worlds.
  25. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Isn't Jr. Nationals in January, if she needs a little longer to heal the concussion, and still qualify for Jr. Worlds?
  26. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I think junior worlds are in February and I don't think Lipnitskaia needs to qualify. Considering that she placed as the top Russian lady in senior GPs, I am sure they will be more than happy to send her even without attending Russian nationals. Besides, except of Radionova there was no other junior Russian that would do that great during the JGP. Maybe also Pogorilaya did well enough, but the rest, not great. I am pretty sure Lipnitskaia has earned her spot.
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Russian Junior Nationals dates are Jan. 31-Feb. 3, 2013 in Saransk.

Senior Nationals are Dec. 24-28 in Sochi.
  28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Russia doesn't use Nationals results to determine their World teams as strictly as the US does (in rule for National Champion and in practice).
  29. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Not in so many words. You did, however, say:

Your use of the present indicative, "needs," indicates that she has a present need to get experience. What she needs, at the moment, is to heal. Competition experience should not be something for her to worry about right now.
  30. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She does need (present tense) senior international experience, which unfortunately, the injury will prevent her from getting this season and I certainly never implied that she should go to GPF anyway. My comment was a response to suggestions that because she's Russian, GPF is less important for her, since there may be other national competitions organized at the Olympic venue by her federation. IMO getting a chance to test the rink, while important, is/was not as big of a deal for her as an opportunity to test her nerves against the top names one final time this season.

I agree with those that say she doesn't need to go to Nationals in order to get a slot to Jr Worlds. I guess she will go to JW if she can, for the ranking points, but I see it as a competition that carries little benefit (being 2x Jr World champ is not that much more prestigious than Jr World champ), but plenty of risk (losing to Radionova, as Sotnikova dropped to 3rd last year).
  31. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

anyone want to see the Esquire magazine, they have pages for Trankov, Larionov and Nikita, found some from webpages
    Larionov was in no way hot, he looked like a priest,

Larionov over Smirnov, pls. just because Bazarova/Larionov are Russian No. 2 pairs doesn't mean
    Larionov is more attractive than Smirnov
  32. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yes of course we want to see. :D
  33. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

34. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree about Smirnov being better looking as well as Tkachenko. I don't think Bobrova is all that attractive but all the pictures were done very well.

I'm not sure how B/L got to be Russia's #2 all of a sudden; coming in ahead of someone who had surgery by only 1.26 points doesn't a dethroning make. If they consistently beat them at the GPF, nationals and Euros in the next couple of months, I will think differently.

I don't know how any got picked (probably not personality and/or looks) but it's a great opportunity for all of them.
  35. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I agree. I have also doubts about Bazarova-Larionov being Russians #2. I do think that Kawaguti-Smirnov can beat them most of the time. Saying that, I don't deny how good Bazarova-Larionov really are. It is just that Russia is packed with great pairs. In most other countries Bazarova-Larionov would be #1.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

37. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I agree and to think again that Elena has dumped him for Voldemorozov...:scream:
    Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  38. pinky166

Yeah idk. Elena seems like a very sweet and impressionable girl and it would appear Morozov took advantage of that to win her over, and she probably is just excited by the prospect of some older, accomplished man being "in love" with her. It's funny, looking at her in pictures where she's wearing little or no makeup, she looks so young, maybe like 16 or 15, making the age gap with Morozov appear even that more drastic.

Bobrova is very beautiful. I am starting to think that the myth about cameras adding 10 pounds is true though, most skaters look way thinner in photos then they do in videos....it makes me worry about how thin those that look really thin on video (like Vera) are in person :slinkaway:
  39. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

How much the camera puts on goes from zero to a lot. We met Pang/Tong in person when they were the guests for the Colonial Travel dinner in Moscow in 2005, and I was frightened going in, but she looks exactly the same as she does on camera. (His face looked a bit gaunt by comparison.) I also saw Sakhnovski in person as Euros somewhere, and he looked exactly the same weight as he did on ice. (He wore glasses and was quite cute.) Muscular skaters tend to look a lot thicker on camera: Slutskaya is the poster girl for that, when she was quite small in person, and Duhamel would be invisible if she didn't wear PrincessLeppard boots.
  40. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member