From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. misskarne

misskarne #408

:lol:

Unfortunately, I agree with him too; the Russian fed has picked their guy and I doubt they would change their minds even if one of the other three turned up at Russian Cup with four quads. It's sad for Menshov because he certainly deserved to go. I certainly don't mind that Gachinski won't skate the rest of the season; getting this leg problem solved is the most important.

I wonder who will go to WTT? Perhaps the Russian fed could send Menshov there? It wouldn't be the same as the place he earned, of course, but it would be still be something.

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I am glad Kovtun was the highest placed Russian man at Euros. It not only vindicates the decision to send him instead of Menshov (and shut everyone up), it now solidifies his trip to Worlds (Plush really should rest - he isn't going to make top 2 at Worlds anyways and Kovtun has nearly as good a chance at making top 12).

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Actually, he prefers it when people call him Evgeni Viktorovich. :sekret:

4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Which was my point. To refer to someone by a familiar name is, well let's just say, obnoxious and rude. Makes one wish for the days that such nicknames would warrant a strange site-wide blip that would change such name into the phrase IamapretentiousRussianwannabetwit. Shame that glitch was fixed...

Wouldn't Kovtun (or whomever) have to be top 10 to earn two slots for Russian men next year?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think you can safely bet your money on Kovtun going to Worlds. Tarasova has been justified, his FS performance was outstanding jump-wise. He has the momentum this season.

As far as Ladies go, I really hope Gosviani gets sent. Her performance at Euros was very respectable and she has earned her spot, IMO.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

C'mon! When some friends of mine met him, they called him Plushy :D and they still got autographs, pictures and stuff. :p I called him Zhenya and Evgeni too, how should I call a guy who is my age, Plushenko or not Plushenko?:confused:

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Better than anything Leonova has done since 2012 Worlds, and that's 5 (sucky) competitions ago. :p

My view is, clearly neither Gosviani nor Leonova are going to be counted on to help with keeping 3 spots for Sochi, so might as well go with the one who earned her trip. :p

8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Isn't calling Plushenko "Zhenya" the same as calling Gordeeva "Katia" or Zhulin "Sasha," which are quite common here?

I am sure Kovtun is going to worlds. If Plushenko withdraws after the SP again, it would be a complete waste of the one spot.

Leonova has a higher world standing and will skate in the last SP groups. I would do a test skate and consider sending her only if she skates well.

9. Vagabond

If I'm not mistaken, Gordeeva actually uses the diminutive "Katia" in her public life, in the same way that John Garvin Weir-Voronov uses the diminutive "Johnny." I'm not sure about Zhulin, but I don't believe he uses the diminutive "Sasha" in the same way.

Generally speaking, friends and acquaintances call each other by first names and patronymics ("Evgeni Viktorovich"). Very close friends and relatives use diminutives ("Zhenya"). To call someone you have never met or scarcely know "Zhenya" when he doesn't call himself that in his public life would be akin to calling Stephen Carriere "Stevie."

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Or Richard Dornbush "Ricky." From what I've read, Plushenko does not mind when he's called Zhenya by the fans, so it is interesting how so many posters get offended by it.

11. Vagabond

There's a difference between going along with it when your fans call you by your diminutive and actually liking it when they do. :shuffle:

Beyond that, some people don't like the presumed familiarity of calling athletes one does not know personally by their first names (never mind nicknames or diminutives), but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

13. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

14. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

with the depth in Russian ladies by 2014 and beyond she has a much higher chance
    if she will compete for Georgia a chance to go to the Olympics and World Championships

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I thought patrynomics were used formally, the equivalent of referring to John Nicks as "Mr. Nicks."

16. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Yes, patronymics are a respectful way to address someone or refer to someone. For example, Plushenkos coach is usually addressed and referred to by his students, Federation officials and also journalists as "Alexei Nikolaevitch".

17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I agree. The question is whether she could stay and train in Russia with Urmanov though. Gedevanishvilli had some problems a few years ago. Also, if she competed for Georgia, maybe she would have to start paying for her lessons? Whereas I read somewhere that Russian athletes have it free (not sure if it is true). I doubt that Russian Federation would be paying for her training if she didn't represent them.

Anyway, too late now. She competed internationally, which means that she would have to sit out 2 years. And maybe Russian Federation would refuse to release her, as they did with Iliuchechkina.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  18. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

"Zhenia" is not formal, but not very casual- diminutive, either. Closer to "Rick" than "Ricky". While familiar, it does not sound offensive. With the name like "Evgeny" it's tricky anyway.
    "Evgeny! Stay home and recover!" sounds quite 19th- century.
    "Plushenko! Stay home and recover! " sounds wrong, almost tongue- and - cheek.
    The bigger fans we are of somebody, the more we are inclined to use informal names. On Yagudin fan sites, he is "Lyosha" quite a bit; as well as Alexei and Yags. Plushenko can be Evgenij or Zhenia with no offence given.

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Were I to meet him, I think I would become tongue-tied, stumble around, and finally murmur out, "Sir."

20. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Totally. And it would never occur to me to refer to Tatiana Anatol'evna Tarasova as "Tanya". Would be unthinkable. Tricky, that name business:)

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Do people introduce themselves by their patrynomics? I'm wondering how you'd otherwise know what a person's father's name is. If I bumped into her in an arena and wanted to greet her, the best I could come up with is "Madame Tarasova." I'd never remember her father's name under pressure, Tarasova is her birth name, not her husband's name, and somehow "Miss" or "Ms." Tarasova doesn't feel right at all.

22. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:confused: To me it sounds like Gorshkov is denying the rumor Plushenko would compete at Worlds?

Which, if this is accurate, does not sound like he'd be coming to Canada for Worlds, where practices start on March 10th. Correct?

Hopefully he can take it easy enough on the training to stay healthy through next season.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes. Unless they implode, Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva should be able to place 6th and 7th easily to earn 3 spots.

Leonova is done anyway. Sot, Tuk and Lipnitskaya should dominate Russian skating for years to come and then you have Radionova coming up as well.

So they might as well send Gosviani who has proven her worth now.

I mean given Gosviani's very strong basics if she skated two clean programs at Worlds (very big if, I know), it would be possible for her to medal.

At Euros, she didn't skate in the final group, didn't have a perfect FS and still got high 6s on the PCS.

24. jlai

jlai Title-less

WHen will they announce who will go to worlds? Will it depend on another skateoff or monitoring session close to worlds?

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

After the Russian Cup where I assume that the skaters considered will compete.

26. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I would hate to be a Russian skater, never knowing where the goal posts were from one year to the next.

27. Vagabond

Goal posts? Did you say goal posts? :blah:

Goal posts are for football players, not figure skaters. ;)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What do you mean? The selection criteria for Euros wasn't a secret and from what I know it's been announced well in advance that Worlds team will be decided after the next Russian Cup event where skaters will be monitored. And how is it different from any other federation?

29. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Actually I was surprised how easy going Mishin is. Especially if you are a cute enough female and his pupil had a good skate. He'll behave like a favourite grandpa

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand what the purpose of the Russian Cup Final is. I've read that Menshov won this competition five times but was never sent to Worlds. Piseev said that the Federation would assess, after the Russian Cup Final, all the results of the skaters under consideration from the current season and would decide accordingly but do the skaters know how much the results from the Russian Cup will weigh in the assessment of the Federation, as opposed to the results from other competitions such as GP, JGP, Nationals and Euros? I mean would Menshov win the Russian Cup again, would his win be viewed as a better result than Kovtun's 5th place overall at Europeans? The Federation can't assess the results of the likes of Menshov and Gachinski at the 2013 European Championships since they didn't even compete there, can they?