From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Hope Alena used her break period well and comes back to the Russian cup final well.

2. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

so Kovtun is both going to Junior Worlds and Worlds ? :confused:
    isn't that a bit too much ?

If they want they can send him to Worlds, not sure if he can merit a Top 10
    but juniors I think they can earn 3 spots anyways with Samarin and Petrov

3. caseyedwards

The Russian fed had Leonova do euros jr worlds and sr worlds and they got all that they wanted from that situation and they could try that with kovtun.

4. misskarne

misskarne #408

So are the RFSF going to still have the skateoff between Gachinski and Menshov (with Kovtun's Euros result considered) to decide who gets the Worlds spot? Fifth is good but I was a little surprised at Kovtun's PCS. He did beat Voronov which was well done.

I still think Menshov earned the spot.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

So far this season:
    Skate America Senior Ladies 7 Alena LEONOVA RUS 153.49
    Rostelecom Cup Senior Ladies 6 Alena LEONOVA RUS 157.27
    European Championships Senior Ladies 6 Nikol GOSVIANI RUS 154.41
    Russian Nationals Senior Ladies 6 Nikol Gosviani
    Russian Nationals Senior Ladies 7 Alena Leonova - 169.64

Leonova came is as the reigning World Silver medalist, and I don't see a lot of difference in international scores between hers and Gosviani, who went into Euros as a Russia #3 unknown. I think it's pretty remarkable that in a rushed Junior international she made the TES SP minimum and barely missed it at Euros, and when the heat was on, she made the FS minimum, with a couple of points to spare. She shook out some nerves and went out and competed like she wanted it. I'm not sure the same can be said for Leonova, who's been struggling so far this season.

6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Gosviani really impressed me - I wonder what kind of shape Leonova is in?

7. caseyedwards

The scores for leonova vs gosviani represent gosviani a her best and leonova at her worst. Now no one knows if she's still at her worst but her at her worst is basically equal to gosviani at her best. So who is chosen? The person at their best probably. If the are equal at the skateoff like they were basically a Russian nationals then it's all gosviani for worlds probably.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The economic collapse in Russia in the 1990's kept children from taking up the sport -- fewer rinks, fewer coaches, few or no subsidies, little disposable income, etc.

Remember, the men in the 21-25-year-old age group were born at the same time as women like Ksenia Doronina and Nina Petushkova, who were quickly surpassed on the domestic level by the much younger rivals like Adelina Sotnikova and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva. Since female singles skaters tend to reach their peak at a younger age than their male counterparts, we saw the long-term consequences of the economic collapse most markedly in the Ladies' division earlier than we did in the Men's.

9. caseyedwards

So true if a great young talent was born in 1990 they would have had to go through major economic and social changes for like 10 years. People were leaving until 1999 in big numbers. I was going through novice and jr ice dance in us nationals and I saw a Russian team and then read about them and the parents left in 1998. Then you have the Majorovs and rogozines of other countries. Also the dance team I'm talking about does not involve the Ponimarenko son!

10. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

It’s pretty harsh to argue Gosviani at her best is equal to Leonova at her worst. :rolleyes: Looking at scores this is also due to the reason that Gosviani had zero reputation when going into Euros being her first major senior assignment and skating well there while Leonova when skating at her worst was big time held up in PCS by Russian Fed at Nationals. – I don’t think judges at an international event will be as generous to Leonova at Worlds, even if she is the reigning Vice World Champion. On the other hand international judges now took notice of Gosviani, so she might get even better scores at Worlds in certain areas when skating equally well.

But I can see how Russian Fed is in big dilemma now! They probably even hoped that Govsiani would not reach TES for Worlds! :lol:

11. bek

bek Guest

I agree.. However, I don't think the likelhood of Leonova getting much higher PCS should be discounted. This being said Alena is also going to be Russia's no 3, and so her PCS will have less pushing... Personally I think they need to do a test skate, and if both skated equally well I really would go with Leonova for her experience. But I think if Leonova is still not going well they need to go with Gosviani.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Any idea when Russia will announce its world 2013 team?

13. caseyedwards

I don't think they were hoping gosviani would not get he world minimum. They did a lot to get her to euros. Unless they were just hoping to leonova a forced rest period as that would help with all her problems this season.

That's what the scores posted inidcated-that leonova and gosviani were equal given gosviani is a no name basically - maybe her scores would go up if she did go to worlds and did well.

14. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/146370913.html

According to Govshkov, they will announce it after Cup of Russia which will take place this January. Also, Plushenko will possibly be competing at Worlds.

15. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Plushenko is going to treat his back and start training on March 1st.

16. DELTA

DELTA Active Member

He needs rest and recovery. I hope Kovtun goes instead.

17. caseyedwards

Looks like the Russian up final is feb 16-19th?

18. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

INSTANT fan of Gosviani. :swoon: I'm a sucker for sophisticated, balletic, elegant skaters.

rfisher, hanca, Moka-Ananas and 3 others like this.
  19. misskarne

misskarne #408

Yana, please tie him down.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Ugh... I hate Gosviani's jump technique
    Good for her that she's proving herself. She went in as an alternate to Russian nats IIRC

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Third alternate! They have only limited number of competitors at Russian nationals (only 18 ladies can compete) and she was 21st in the standings. If three ladies didn't withdraw, she wouldn't be even allowed to compete at their nationals, and then she wouldn't go to Europeans. It is crazy!

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

He is nuts. If he wants to compete in Sochi, he needs to be healthy, and not make things worse.

23. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Why does Plushy start to train on March 1st while there is no competitions left? Rest of the skaters will have some rest, too. Couldn't he just wait until the beginning of summer for example?

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

Actually, it may be an idea...if he's easing into it. The idea may be to get him started early and slowly, get the program work done early so that he's got it in case of injury, and then just work towards next season.

But this is Plushy we're talking about...I don't know if he knows the word "slowly".

25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think that is the plan if he is choosing to go to Worlds; what was previously a definite "no" seems to now be a "maybe"

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He's got a substantial tour scheduled for after Worlds, and I'd expect him to do at least light training leading up to it.

27. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Dang, N-O! :mad:

Zhenya, you've already proven you're a warrior by coming back to win your 10th Russian National Title in December (no other returning skaters can say the same thing, instead they were sidelined by injury; e.g. Evan Lysacek & Johnny Weir). And then you too at Euros. :(

Enough is enough, listen to your body & doctors, spinal surgery is nothing to mess with. Take time off, recuperate, maybe do some light show skating, but save your body for your *final* competitive year, the Winter Olympics in your home country for the first time in history! :respec: Next year is thee most important year, not this one, you've got nothing to prove, your record says it all, you are a LEGEND. 'nuff said :smokin:

June is early enough to start preparing your new programs for next season.. Until then chill out...

28. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Zhenya? Wow, it must be nice to be on a personal, first-name basis with the man who is Plushenko :rolleyes:

Oh, and a bit addicted to colored fonts and smilies, aren't we? Nothing a little ECT wouldn't cure. Perhaps sticking a fork into an outlet or something.

29. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

You have something to add to this Russian thread about Russian skaters, Kasey, or you just going to continue to b*tch about me. :rolleyes:

Now back to "From Russia With Love Winter 2012/13". GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RUSSIAN TEAM, WIN THE TEAM GOLD AT SOCHI!!! :kickass:

30. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I'm pretty much with Menshov; I don't think the Russian cup final is going to mean squat, nor is any test skates they hold. Let's face it, if Plushenko feels up to going to Worlds and wants to, he will; if not, it will be Kovtun. I would be totally shocked if any of the other skaters in the mix (Menshov, Voronov or Gachinski) is even a slight consideration.