From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

There are 36 nations represented among Euros Ladies according to the entry list, but there are 43 this season as well, because there are two entries for Finland, France, and Sweden and three for Italy and Russia. (The numbering on the entries list is confusing.)

Last season the minimum scores were the same for all senior championships. For Ladies, they were 15 for the SP and 25 for the FS. This year for Euros/4C's they are 20 for the SP and 35 for the FS, which is a considerable jump, especially for the FS, yet the entries are the same, and the ISU didn't raise them to cut the field down to around 30. It looks like all 43 will skate the SP. The only two who have yet to establish both minimums are the two substitutes from Belarus.

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Pechalat and Bourzat are out of Euros. I know that this isn't Russian news, but it does bode well for Bobrova and Soloviev who have a much better chance at being European Champs!

3. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

It's kind of turned into a must-win for them, hasn't it, though? Any team that beats them now makes a big statement by doing so, about both themselves and B&S.

4. Macassar88

Well Cappellini and Lanotte could beat them. They've been getting really high tech scores. Hopefully Bobrova and Soloviev have made improvements in the offseason. I wonder whether they made a big change to their SD like Staviski said might happen.

5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The SD at the gpf was a near tie and then soloviev falling really messed up their Fd to where c/l beat them 99 to 92 so no mistake is affordable from either team really. Or their mistakes can't be too bad like getting a level 1 on a step sequence.

6. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

C&L have the pesky Italian habit of making big mistakes when it counts... so do B&S and I&K. It's going to be interesting to see who is mentally toughest. Kind of a preview of the post-Sochi landscape.

7. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Active Member

In Sochi Grand Prix Finals Morosov was drinking in a bar, and got into
    a fight with a Russian Man. The man knocked out his two front teeth.

8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Nikolai or Stanislav?

9. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Of course, the fall messed up Bobrova/Soloviev's FD, but not by so much. They did all the elements, and only the last two - the second step sequence and the choreographic lift - were done after the fall. They got level 2 on the step sequence - if Soloviev hadn't fallen, they most likely would have managed level 3, level 4 less likely. Also they lost a bit on the choreographic lift which they didn't do well. And then probably a couple of points on PCSs. So, I think that it would have been less than 99 anyway. Very likely somewhere around 97 again. It means that it's not just about obvious mistakes - it's also about levels and GOE.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  10. Macassar88

I don't think that Bobrova and Soloviev will mess up. They had that fall in Sochi and have worked since then on reigning in their emotions so that they can stay concentrated technically. (IMO it's a pity since up until the fall, their Sochi performance was the most passionate)

11. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I don't know, they've had a number of stupid mistakes in the past as well, most notably at Worlds last year. It should be between C/L, B/S and I/K for the gold, but all of those teams are capable of making mistakes that could take them out of contention

12. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

13. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

14. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

No, it doesn't give any particular reason.

15. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Fancypancy

Fancypancy Active Member

Morosov

17. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

18. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

2nd year in a row S/K have a chance at a European medal by default. Yeah them.

:( no B/L

19. love_skate2011

:confused:

but there is Kavaguti-Smirnov

20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Yes, there is no way S/K will medal unless K/S get injured too.

Too bad about B/L.

21. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

This. Sad that Bazarova/Larionov won't be there, though.

22. equatorial

equatorial Well-Known Member

WTF is with injuries this season? It's getting worse by the day :( I so hoped for B/L's medal at the Euros. They have had such a great season until the Russian nationals. Oh well...

23. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

While I am happy for S/K- I like them, and am happy that they are getting their chances on International stage- Europeans without Bazarova/ Larionov and Pechalat/ Bourzat are much poorer Europeans. B/L were tremendous at GPF, I hoped to see their streak continuing.
    Here to hoping S/K do very well at Europeans and B/L are healthy and ready for Worlds!!! This is a bad year for injuries.

24. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

well, last year we had Europeans without Savchenko-Szolkovy. It's life. I will really miss Bazarova - Larionov, I really like them, but at least some other skaters in Russia get their chance. It is quite sad that with such a high level of skating, only three entries can be in each category per country. It is wrong that Bronze European medallist did not qualify for Europeans because of the high level of competition in their country! I do wish the limits per country would be abolished.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  25. love_skate2011

aren't we a bit overdramatic here, they'll be be back its a hand injury I dont think its a season ender for B/L
    though I gotta say Stolbova/Klimov are darn pretty lucky since last season they have capitalized on others injuries/mistakes to win a medal, lol

26. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I meant that I will miss them at Europeans. It is my only competition that I will see live this year, and they did seem to be quite strong this season. What's wrong with saying that I would miss my favourite skaters? It is always better to see skaters live than on the TV and if I can attend only one competition per year, it shouldn't be surprising that I want to see there the skaters I like.

27. love_skate2011

sorry, nothing really, I thought by that you meant it will be a heavy injury of B/L
    im jealous you get to se eit live I'd dont have that much privilidge or to ask my parents enough to go places atm
    hope you enjoy euros !

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To be honest, I am wondering whether it is really only hand injury, or if it is something more serious. Vera had some hip problem (her landing leg) at the beginning of the season, and although they were strong at GPF, they missed Russian nationals because of 'problems with his boots', now Europeans because of his 'hand injury'... I was wondering whether her injury is still causing trouble and they don't want to say it publicly because the judges would be watching them more carefully if they thought that she is injured ... When Virtue was injured, she kept it quiet for a year.

29. Macassar88

Well CL and BS are both a mistake above IK (pretty visible at Sochi where BS fell and still beat IK)

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

kwanfan, I just went back and checked, and it looks like I was right and you were wrong.

Ladies' Entries for Euros

On this list, the first number is the ordinal for the entry, and the second is the ordinal for the federation.

There are 36 entries and 29 federations/countries.

So my original point is valid. The ISU's stated reason for the current qualifying system was to reduce the number of entries, and that is exactly what has been accomplished.