From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

You misunderstoood my statement. I was referring to competition. He will compete if he is healthy, whether he gets money or not. The poster I was responding to implied that he would compete if he gets more money. That is simply not true. We have seen this skater for years, and we know how much it means to him to win competitions. He could have retired from skating years ago, and made tons of money. Sure, he likes to get paid, but that's not why he wants to compete in the 2014 Olympics. It's in his country and competing there means a lot more to him. He will get the money whether he competes or not.

2. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

I did not misunderstand you, and I stand by my post. Plushenko did "retire" years ago, he did make (and continues to make) money with his shows, and then he made still more money and became a longer-lasting Russian celebrity by enhancing his image with his repeated returns to competition. I have absolutely no doubt that his desire (not to say amazing ability) to compete plays a huge role, but I also have no doubt that whatever money he can make while doing so sweetens the pot and acts as further encouragement. He would be a fool not to earn whatever he can for himself and his family(s). And no, I do not believe he would make as much money, were he not to compete in Sochi.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Although the numbness in his legs is worrying, he also seems to have lost some weight, either that or grown taller and is just lankier, that together with the numbness could be symptoms of crohn's disease, which would obviously affect his stamina and can be quite serious. Hopefully the issue is not so grave as that, but it's hard to tell what is going on with him, but obviously whatever it is is fairly significant, as he is quite noticeably off his game without any obvious technique flaws or issues on certain jumps to blame.

4. Vash01

I disagree with you. Plushenko can make as much money without competing in Sochi, as he would while competing. Actually he may be risking his health by preparing to compete in an eligible competition. The reason he wants to compete in Sochi is he wants to compete for his country. Whether his fed pays him money for it or not is not going to make that decision for him.

5. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Plushenko definitely likes to compete and he undoubtedly is a great competitor but I don't think he wants to compete just for his personal pleasure, didn't some of the Russian media say back in 2009-2010 that he wanted one million dollars from the Russian Fed to compete in Vancouver? I clearly remember that they did. And didn't Plushenko himself say after the 2006 Olympics that he would not continue with his eligible career because he was tired of skating for the State and it was high time for him to skate in shows to be able to provide for his family? So I don't believe that he doesn't care about money. But what's wrong about caring for money?:confused:

I really don't know about Gachinski who seems to have some health issues and Voronov hasn't been able to improve his components scores much over the years but Kovtun, if he gets to nail his three quad jumps in the free skate, I can see him challenging Plushenko's title at the next Nationals. There is a big 'if' though.

6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Of course. Everybody loves the money, but Plushy easily can make more money if he doesn't compete. I don't believe that the Russian Federation will pay a lot of money and lets for Plushy, that he doesn't start at the World Cup, where the stakes are high.

7. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

And what could Plushenko do with the money?:confused: Buy himself new legs and a healthy back? Because that's the only thing he needs if he wants to attend Worlds and win a medal.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

This year, no, but last year, there were arguments here that Gachinski wuzrobbed at Europeans last year. If he gets back to form, there's a chance he would challenge, but I think he'd have to be 30% better to beat Plushenko at Russian Nationals. I think if Tarasova tried to mess with Plushenko, Mishin would squash her like a bug.

I think it's crazy for Plushenko to compete at Worlds if it would compromise his condition. He starts on a tour the week after Worlds (March-April with possibly more dates, according to Weir's tweet), and, contractually, that's not an either-or. If he's injured going into the tour, that will set him back greatly in his preparation for Sochi.

9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:lol:

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I agree. It is not an issue whether Plushenko cares for money or not (why wouldn't he?), but whether he competes for money. I am convinced he does not. He is rich, famous and influential and stands to lose more than gain if he does not deliver. Somebody that legendary ( and old) does not put oneself through surgeries, grueling work- outs and risk of failure for money ( would anybody say Dara Torres competed for money?) I think he does it for legacy, and for the thrill. Yagudin talks about how he misses that incredible adrenaline rush of holding the world in the palm of your hand for 5 minutes; the danger and conquest. Plushenko still can do it if he is selective, so he does. Takes a very special mindset, genius and luck.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I doubt that it is a all, or even mostly about the money for Plushenko. There are titles and glory to be had as well, and winning is addictive. Didn't he comment about wanting to be in the Guinness book of records once? I think he likes the titles, the glory, the records; and hell, who wouldn't?

12. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Plushenko is a 30 year old man with a wife and kids; of course he cares about money like anyone else. That doesn't necessarily mean he would be willing to skate at Worlds as long as they pay him enough money. If he is not at 100% he can risk further injury at Worlds. His good name and his health are probably worth more than money to him.

13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Plushenko may think he has enough medals at worlds and has nothing more to prove at that competition. If his goal is a medal at Sochi, he's better off only doing competitions he needs to prepare for his goal.

14. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Yes, winning is definitely addictive and Plushenko is a consistent winner. I think if he's 100% he'll go to worlds because it seems to me that he's actually looking forward to competing with the young guns. He's said more than once that he wants to go down in figure skating history and he's already almost there.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

16. masik

masik New Member

It's hilarious, but probably hard to translate due to a story/situation movie Garage based on. Maybe some Russian user of certain age can try...

17. volotrankov

volotrankov New Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  18. winterchik

winterchik Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  19. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

20. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Any news on a new edition to the Plushenko family yet? The baby is due any minute now, right?

21. misskarne

misskarne #408

The original due date the doctors gave Yana (which she tweeted some months ago) was between Dec 30 and Jan 5. So yeah, the baby really is due any minute.

22. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Plu site informed the world that Plu son is born on the the Russian Christmas Eve, today, 2kg800gr!!! Congratulations!!!!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  23. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Plushy baby's name is Alexander.

24. lulu

lulu New Member

Congratulations! :cheer:

25. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Congrats to Plushy and Yana! :)

26. mis751

mis751 New Member

What a great christmas present:)
    Congratulasion to Plushy and Yana!

27. misskarne

misskarne #408

Congratulations Plushy and Yana on the birth of Alexander Evgeniovich Plushenko! :cheer:!

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Thrilled that he has the family he's always wanted :cheer2:

29. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

:kickass::cheer2::40beers::plush:CONGRATULATIONS TO ZHENYA & FAMILY ON ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL LOOKALIKE SON JUST LIKE THEIR FATHER!!!!:plush::40beers::cheer2::kickass:

And my honest to God first thought when I saw such a phenomenal strong male name was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great :hat1::cool::smokin:

30. Vash01

Congrats to Evgeni & Yana!