From Russia With Love - Winter 2012/13

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Sally1214

Sally1214 New Member

Huge congratulations to Evgeni and Yana on the birth of their son. And, welcome to the world, Alexander! :) What a wonderful Christmas indeed.
    Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Zhenia & Yana! :40beers:

Impatiently waiting for the first pictures of the lovely little family to come up! :cheer:
  3. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

Congrats to Plush and Yana :40beers:

BTW: Does anybody know why Ivan Bariev was not at Russian Nats?
  4. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Yes, he injured ligaments in his ankle in a fall in training and resumed skating just shortly before Nationals, according to his coaches.
  5. Katarzyna

Thank you for the Info, Eislauffan! What a pity! I really liked him at Nebelhorn and wished he'd do well at Nats. :(
  6. Eislauffan

Interview with Alena Leonova: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/7672.html (in Russian).

She talks about her failure at Russian Nationals, doesn't give concrete reasons what happened other than that maybe pressure got to her. She claims her practices leading up to Nationals went well. She said she won't give up and wants to fight for a spot at Worlds.
  7. Eislauffan

The Russian minister of sports, V. Mutko, told the press that within the next couple of days a final decision will be made if M. Kovtun or K. Menshov will go to Europeans.
    Article: http://www.sports.ru/others/figure-skating/145944618.html
    However, it doesn't really sound like a change can be expected. Mutko states that there was no violation of rules (in naming Kovtun to the team) as the coaches' council can recommend the third skater. Mutko said that the decision wasn't taken really publicly and therefore they (his ministery) asked the Federation to discuss the selection again.
  8. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Thank you Eislauffan. I know for myself, I didn't expect them to change their minds. They are playing within their own rules, even if I personally don't think it's fair. I am sure others feel the same.
  9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This is absurd. They saw promise in someone and are willing to bet on him. They are doing it within their rules of selection. Why the outrage?

Was there such outrage when 4th placed Slutskaya was selected over 3rd placed Sokolova for 1998 Europeans and over 2nd placed Soldatova for 1998 Olympics?

I hope there is no change, simply because doing so would undermine the Russian Fed doing what's within its power to do.
  10. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

They have not changed the list. Kovtun is on the official entries for EC2013, Gachinski and Menshov are the substitutes.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Now THAT is wrong. If they insist on sending Kovtun, Menshov should be first sub. I love Gachinski, but Menshov is in MUCH better form right now.
  12. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

This also sucks for the athletes since now they do not know what to prepare for and how to practice now because they would want to achieve the peak of their shape by Euros and/or Junior Worlds respectively.
  13. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

Substitutes are listed in alphabetical order on the offical entries list.
  14. winterchik

winterchik Member

In short YES,but allot more went on
  15. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

What the heck is wrong with people?! Did they really think I/K's craptastic programs are worthy of a Russian Championship gold medal?
    Sometimes I really question the taste of my people.
  16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

So why are they referred to as "first" and "second" substitutes? Shouldn't they just be "subs"?
  17. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

They are just listed as substitute entries. The official list for russia says....

23 Maxim KOVTUN RUS 18
    24 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS 18
    25 Sergei VORONOV RUS 18
    Artur GACHINSKI RUS 18 S
    Konstantin MENSHOV RUS 18 S

Some people may have assumed Gachinski is the first substitute because he is listed first but the list is alphabetical for both entries and substitutes.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

19. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

20. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

Sorry:( I made a mistake on claiming the first and second......:wall::wall: Please forgive me:slinkaway

I have edited my post above. Sorry.
  21. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

And the baby-boom continues - Alexander Zhulin becomes a dad for a second time. He and his wife, Natalia Mikhailova, have welcomed their daughter Ekaterina today.
  22. lulu

lulu New Member

I didn't even know she was pregnant. :lol: Congrats to them! :cheer:
  23. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

Mikhailova? :wuzrobbed: Once more - Lost talent :wuzrobbed:

but congrats to them
  24. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That's his 3rd wife, right? Usova was the only one that did not have a child with him.

What is Navka doing these days?
  25. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

You have a point of course, but I think I understand why the outrage. The problem with the Russian society in general is that in public's view, everything is corrupt, athletic federations included. The athletes and fans do not believe that the decisions made by the figure skating federation for example, are only based on fair and objective criteria, and not on whose coach has more power and influence. I highly doubt that Kovtun would have been sent to Euros if his coach was someone relatively unimportant, he would have been sent to junior worlds with all his potential and that's it. This is my understanding of why most people are unhappy about the situation.
  26. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Really? That surprises me - Bobrova and Soloviev seem to do almost everything a bit better. Maybe they lack a bit of the speed, but they project emotion much better. Their elements on the whole seem better as well.
  27. homura

homura New Member

28. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

And not just in Russia, unfortunately in many sports the general frame-of-mind amongst non-russians is that if a Russian wins it's because of politics or corruption, it's really sad for the athletes.
  29. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I like Vika and Ruslan more then R-T and M-Kh, but whom they must replace in team Russia in Morozov opinion? Maybe his girlfriend? :lol:
  31. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

32. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

Me neither. I thought Morozov et al. voted against sending Menshov???
  33. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

Because they are at the minority?
  34. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

first decision to sent kovtun was a split decision 5-4 or something, second time not to change the decision was 8-1 (we now know who that one was from the interview).

Secondly here Morosov is showing hos hatred towards Kovtun rather than being fair to Menshov.
  35. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

36. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

37. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

38. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

So this is not the first time Menshov gets dumped for other skaters?

Menshov sounds like a very nice person. Go Konstantin.:kickass:
  39. Katarzyna

Wasn’t he dating Navka, Gritchuk and Gordeeva during his marriage with Usowa? Guess poor Zhulin was simply too tired when coming back home to Usova to produce any offspring! :p

This is not a good comparison, as Slutskaya’s results in the GP were at least equal or even better compared to Sokolova’s in the GP and certainly better than Soldatova’s. In my book it’s ok to base nominations for the 3rd spot to Major events also on other placements during the season if announced to skaters in time and if these events are on a comparable level, which is not the case in the whole Kovtun – Menshov affair. :HA!:

Is it ok, not trying to change a system, just if it stays within its powers, if the rules of selection are based on some people having more influence, reputation and better background deals in behind instead of sport principle? Basically if the solution of this case is that everything is ok, cause RF stayed within its rules and powers, then their rules needs to be changed. :bribe: + :bloc: + :drama:

What about a parliament passing a questionable law completely lawfully within its powers, but mostly based on heavy lobbying and not for making best politics for one country? I don’t think one would argue it's ok, it was within their powers. :shuffle:

Regarding the outrages – without being a Fan of Morozov, but I think he hit the point, this decision it not only unfair, it basically ruined the career of one late blooming athlete to early promote a youngster, who will still have his chance to shine, because of his coaches influence, which in my opionion is pretty much disgusting from a moral side. :blah:

However, I’m pretty much amused about Morozov talking how Kovtun ist all about jumps and does not have a 2nd mark. Did he ever take a closer look on Voronov’s skating? :p Besides I personally think he didn’t give that interview to support Meshov, but rather to harm his rival Tarassova and to promote his own student. :eek:
  40. winterchik

winterchik Member

very near to the truth