1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

G&E could, potentially. their first season was very good considering how short time they were together, and I wouldn't judge them on their second season if she skated injured. She did have 2 surgeries at the beginning of the last season, that's why they missed the whole season, but if they managed to return to the level they were in their first season and if they managed to stay injury free, there was potential there. Unfortunately I can't get into their skating, for me they don't stand out with anything, I would rather watch Martiusheva-Rogonov, but the fact remains that G&E have the potential whereas M&R won't get any further than they are now, unless she somehow learns the jumps. She did not have problems with throw jumps, so all she needs to make consistent is two different triples, Toe loop and Salchow. But it probably won't happen.

2. Lis

Lis Active Member

well considering Martiusheva is only 18 I would still give her a chance :)

3. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

you are probbaly right about M&R and G&E
    but I think A&M can make it, she is I think passed 15 years old and they have nice throws and twists
    also T/M look very senior already they look decent

and there are many upcoming juniors some will have to survive
    F/M and V/Z are promising though some probably wont make it like D/D who have no more height disparity

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Oh dear, please don't tell me that you are again digging into D/D. You just can't help yourself, can you!

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I really hope you are right! Her skating is beautiful, the extensions, her body carriage... it is just her jumps that cost them so much. :wall::wall::wall: As far as I know, she has not had them since her growth a few years ago (she did have them as a tiny junior, but she grew a lot and it must be quite different with the new body.) The thing is, I am sure she is working on them and it didn't seem to come back for the last 2-3 seasons, so the longer she can't land it, the more I am loosing hope. Do we know anyone who was so tiny with jumps, then grew, lost them as badly as she did and then managed to make them solid? I thought if someone looses jumps, they usually regain it within a year or not at all. She can't be growing any more, so she should have had it sorted by now. At least she is a pair skater, so all she needs is two different triples. Can you imagine if she was a single skater, trying to get back all five of them!

6. pinky166

pinky166 #teamtrainwreck

You don't think the Team could be Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya? I think it's very possible that could be the team.

7. Lis

Lis Active Member

well need I say I really like them too and I totally agree with you and I will keep my postive eye on them for a while ...still...:)

8. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Liza, Julia, Elena, Evgenia, Russian pairs

It feels like she has been around a long time. I love watching M&R, so I hope you are right.

9. pinky166

pinky166 #teamtrainwreck

I still think Agafonova would do well in pairs. I know she grew a lot, but her Russian bio says she is only 156 cm so that's a good size for pairs. She has such good carriage on the ice and nice lines and spins, very athletic overall but she's prone to under-rotating the harder triples, so really I think pairs could be a good fit for her. That being said I like the program and think it has potential, she's never usually very strong technically in the beginning of the season anyways. Wonder if she'll wear a voidy pink bodysuit as her costume :inavoid:

10. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

She can't be only 156 cm! She looks much taller.

11. Vash01

Is there any news of Lubov Iliushechkina? Is she still skating?

12. pinky166

pinky166 #teamtrainwreck

These photos were taken in February http://alena-leonova.ru/photo/sezon_2012_2013/final_kubka_rossii_2013/111 , http://alena-leonova.ru/photo/sezon_2012_2013/final_kubka_rossii_2013/111 , http://alena-leonova.ru/photo/sezon_2012_2013/final_kubka_rossii_2013/111 . Leonova is 159 cm so it looks believable enough, she is slightly shorter. Gosviani is 164 cm and looks way taller than Agafonova here so Polina is still pretty petite.

13. Jeschke

Jeschke #teamtrainwreck #teamschott #missiongold2018

yes, you're absolutely right. I'm a fan sine I don't know, but as you said, it feels forever; I won't give up my hope, this could be great russian pair skating!!!

14. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

The problem is that Russia has a very stiff competition in pairs too. If it was any other country it may be a perfect solution but in Russia it will be changing one tough competition for another tough competition. Although the pairs are slightly less crowded than ladies.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

You are right, she may be just 156. I never realised she is so small.

16. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

17. pinky166

pinky166 #teamtrainwreck

She is small, but has still grown an awful lot the past few years. She was 145 cm at age 14, so 11 cm increase in height during the age of 15 to 17 is pretty significant, even though she is still below average, no longer teeny tiny like when she was younger. But I think her slender frame and balanced proportions are why she appears to be a more average height. And I suppose she may be slightly taller now, but only a couple cms. But the other poster is right in that pairs in Russia is a very steep field too, I mostly like her posture and presence on the ice, and only wish they had more opportunities because I miss seeing Agafonova compete at the international (and even national) events. Maybe she could skate for another country or re-emerge as a force once again in the future.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

19. Sylvia

Sylvia Preparing for U.S. club comp. season!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

21. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

BTW: What is Roza Sheveleva doing these days? She was quite a promising young lady a few seasons back but then there were injury problems which prevented her from qualifying for Russian Nats. Is she still skating or did she retire?

22. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Rosa Sheveleva suffered from a severe back injury. She continued to skate for a while but I think by now she is retired, but I am not a 100 percent sure.

23. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

It would be such a shame. She was such a beautiful skater.
    While we're at it: Any news about the Russian Junior Men or their programs?

24. Jeschke

Jeschke #teamtrainwreck #teamschott #missiongold2018

another lost talent on sheveleva. career ended before it really could start :(

although i'm not a fan of all that country hopping, i am happy to see some of this talented skaters in senior championships.
    zlobina/sitnikov for example are great to see at any international events and it hurts my heart, that a team like monko/khaliavin might fall off.

so for that, i am happy to see shelepen (hopefully) next season again.

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

On another forum there was this question about six months ago and the response was that "she had serious illness with her backbone, unfortunately, and this situation is permanent, with no hope. So she is gone from "big sports", although she skates, with score about 110-130 total (SP+FS)."

26. Vash01

Sad. I really liked her skating.

27. love_skate2011

28. lala

lala Well-Known Member

is this her SP from last season? I remember her costume... I love this girl!

29. love_skate2011

yes, she reminds me of Kostner
    very nice skating skills and long legged for a 13 year old

lets hope she survives puberty

30. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

So Korobeynikova and Gosviani got Ondrej Nepela Trophy (Senior B competition). I wonder whether they are sent there to fight for the last remaining GP spot (the one in Russia - TBC).