From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

You mean....those who still support Plushenko? Haven't we got enough on the board already?

2. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

3. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

4. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Elena looks great! :) Spending less time on the net during the Olympic season is a very good idea.

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Great for Adelina to get that kind of sponsorship!!!

Elena looks great. Nice to know her, Nikol & Adelina are all friends.

8. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Don't celebrate yet. There is still the FS! But I do like her new SP.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Lol I'm having so many issues with my 'puter tonight. :( Anyhow, I wanted to quote Autumn_girl's post about Adelina getting that super cool sponsorship from Nike. :cool: Seriously, don't think I've ever watched a Russian commercial before and omg they are better than our American ones. :D

11. love_skate2011

Sotskova won the LP too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPRAbYQJoHc ;)

her skates are transition packed and she doesn't look tiny for a 13 year old
    very mature for her age and hopefully she'll survive puberty

I can see Carolina Kostner in her

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I feel bad for the current badge of junior ladies.

The seniors field is way too deep and many are still eligible for Jr Worlds. The top skaters who made senior GPF but don't make Euros, Sochi or Worlds (or simply age-ineligible like Rad) might return to Jr Worlds. Out of the 4 junior ladies who made JGPF, it's entirely possible that only one will get to go to Jr Worlds.

Even next year when / if Russia gets its third spot back for Worlds, it's still going to be so crowded. Talented ladies like Sakahnovich, Proklova and Medvedeva may never get to go to Jr Worlds, let alone Sr Worlds.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the likes of Pogo and Tuk too, they are both so talented but it's highly unlikely either of them get to go to Sochi, and only one will get to Euros, or possibly neither if someone like Leonova, Gosviani, or Biryukova were to beat them at Nationals and get sent instead. And if Pogo were to go to Euros, Liza's season would be over after Nationals, and if Liza or someone else were to get the Euros spot too, Pogo's season could be over after (Junior) Nationals as well, because there are a bunch of girls eligible for JW that could beat her at Junior Nationals and get those spots instead. Both Pogo and Tuk are too good to have their seasons over after Nationals IMO, however there is a good chance that happens :(

14. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Well, one or two might be switching countries over the next few seasons perhaps?

15. pinky166

Gosviani could skate for Georgia and Pogorilaya for Ukraine I think. But if they plan on switching they should do it within the next year or two because I believe you need to sit out 2 seasons of ISU competition before you can represent another country internationally. Perhaps it's only 1 season though. Either way, I guess to participate in the Olympics in 2018, they would have to gain citizenship of the other country, which might be difficult to do anyways. Pogo might have a chance to make it to big events in Russia, we'll have to wait and see, but Gosviani I doubt will ever get to a competition as big as Euros again skating for Russia, and next season she might only get senior Bs, so it could be a smart move. Gedevanishvilli is probably retiring after Sochi, but even if she doesn't Nikol would probably beat her most of the time anyways. In Ukraine the only strong lady is Popova, whom Pogorilaya is already head and shoulders ahead of in her skating, or at least jumping ability, for the time being. Idk if Tuk would have any other options but Russia but I think she can bounce back once she adjusts to her new body, her technique is so good.

16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind at all. We definitely need at least one talented lady.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The rules for singles who change countries are that they must not have competed for another country

1. Within one year of July 1 of the current season for international competitions
    2. Within 18 months of July 1 of the current season for championships.

Any skater who competes internationally for one country this season must wait:

1. Until the 2015-16 season to compete for another country at Senior B's, GP's, JGP's, and maybe WTT (N/A for Georgia or Ukraine).

2. Until the 2015-16 season if that skater last competes internationally by December 31, 2013 or until the 2016-17 season if the skater last competes internationally between January 1-June 30, 2014 to compete for another country at championships.

Unless the ISU grants an exception, as the did for Ivan Bariev to skate for Italy a season early.

The rules for Pairs and Dance are different, where it is one calendar year from the last competition.

18. love_skate2011

Pitkeev's FS - with Plushenko's Njinsky program music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmea91Ketk

regarding switching countries, that will only be optional for B list skaters
    for now Pogo and Tuk arent B list yet, maybe if they continue to struggle for many years ?
    to remain competitive in the Russian field, they have to play catch up with the other girls or be the federation pet like Sotnikova

19. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Actually, what they need to do is win. Tuk is in 3rd place in her current comp behind Ando who just delivered a baby less than a year ago. I get that she's had some growth adjustments to make, but she's got to get back in form now or she'll go the Leonova route. She hasn't skated 2 clean programs in quite some time.

20. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Has Tuk had a clean short program yet? She must have competed 4 or 5 times this season now.

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

No Tuktamisheva has not had a clean short program at all, but even though they are all bad they are becoming less catastrophic as the season is progressing! Ando and Tuktamisheva TES is like 30 each but Ando is ahead on PCS because of course Liza desperately needs new choreography having done all the same SP's and LP's since she became a senior. As long as Tuktamisheva has the SP problems she can go anywhere and find herself beaten. She was beaten by Leonova at 2013 worlds. Being beaten by Leonova at 2013 worlds couldn't have been a stronger signal to change every single thing about her skating on every level.

22. pinky166

Liza only was beaten by Leonova in the SHORT program at Worlds...she beat her in the FS by over 15 points. Big difference. With 2 falls in the SP, anyone would be lucky to even qualify for the FS, so really, Liza's problems are more about bombing SPs and less about her skating, which is good ad evidenced by her many high FS scores.

julieann and (deleted member) like this.
  23. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think just losing to leonova in the sp was a sign to change things. Even though she overtook her in the fs she lost to her in the sp. Tuktamishevas stubbornly low PCS is also a problem though. Some have argued it's because she always bombs sps so she never skates late and judges pcs scores go up as an event progresses but it's true even at GPfs she's been to. Only 6 skaters.

24. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

btw: What happened to Gorshkova/Butikov? Haven't seen them all season. Did they finally retire?

25. love_skate2011

Lipnitskaya FS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGAshgkn9E

she took out her 3lz-2t and went for 3Lo-2t, no use anyways doing harder lutz combo as she got called on here and she left out her second 2A combo jump 2A-3T
    still room for improvements, but she bounced back after her disaster CoR FS

26. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

They were 7th at 2012 nationals :rolleyes: Must have retired now.

27. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Reposting from Kiss and Cry, some quotes from the GPF

Junior ladies:

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131206/706052990.html

Maria Sotskova: &#8220;I was very nervous before the free skate. I don&#8217;t like to skate last, it&#8217;s very difficult for me. I&#8217;m usually pacing back and forth and thinking a lot. When I was in the warm-up room, I had so much on my mind, I didn&#8217;t know what to do with it. But my choreographer helped me, saying: &#8220;You have to put your fear into the box&#8221;. I took toilet paper and put it in my backpack, it&#8217;s still in there.&#8221; &#8220;The main lesson of this Final is that there is nothing impossible. I had a superstition that if I&#8217;m in first after the short, it&#8217;s hard to skate in the free. But today I went out, not thinking about the first place, and did everything I could.&#8221; She says that in the beginning of the season her only goal was to make the JGP final to earn a trip to Japan: &#8220;My mother said: &#8220;I had a childhood dream to visit Japan. And I decided I will work for my mom. I did my best at my two Grand-Prix events to get to the Final. After Ostrava, I thought I might not make it. But when I realized that I&#8217;m in the Final, I was very happy and started to prepare. And here I am, I won the very first (JGP) Final in my life. And my mom is in the stands, worrying about me. I mean, now she is probably already happy.&#8221;

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131206/706054749.html

Serafima Sakhanovich: &#8220;I skated very well. Too bad about the double Axel, I lost a bet with my coach. We made a bet that if I have a minus on at least one element, I will wear a costume of one of the boys from our training group at the ice rink. He&#8217;s already worn mine, because I skated a clean program at my last event. Now it&#8217;s my turn.&#8221; She says that the most important thing is that she gained confidence skating at the big events: &#8220;Now I will know that such competitions aren&#8217;t scary. I felt slightly unsteady on my feet, just a little bit. I won&#8217;t be nervous at all from now on. My goal for the Final was to be in the top three and to skate cleanly. The next goal &#8211; to make the Junior Worlds team and hopefully skate well there.&#8221; She thanked her parents for their support: &#8220;My parents were very nervous, I usually ask them not to call me because it interrupts the preparation for the skate. But they called after the short, said that I did great and not to relax until the free program is over, and I&#8217;m very thankful for that.&#8221;

http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/...706055408.html

Evgenia Medvedeva: &#8220;I liked a lot skating in the Grand-Prix Final. I like the nerve before the skate. At first it&#8217;s annoying, you feel uncomfortable, but after the event you want more. To skate several times in a row.&#8221; She said she liked the place where the event was held: &#8220;I really liked the city. It&#8217;s so nice and beautiful, mountains and the sea is nearby. The air is amazing.&#8221; She says her mistake in the free because she forgot which combo she had to do: &#8220;I was supposed to do a Salchow-toe combo. Jumps didn&#8217;t work so well because of my injury, and we changed the program. The beginning was the same as the old one, and in the second half I remembered I used to do a double Axel &#8211; triple toeloop there. I realized that I&#8217;m doing something wrong only in the air &#8211; as a result, underrotation and a fall.&#8221; She says she started skating because she saw Evgeni Plushenko: &#8220;My mother was a figure skater, she even was a champion in Moscow in figures. But it was my own desire to skate. As a child, I saw Evgeni Plusheko and decided I want to skate like him&#8221;.

http://fsrussia.ru/news/958_adyan-pi...ilno-pribavil/

Adian Pitkeev: &#8220;I have to learn a quad jump by the next season. I never tried it yet. My coaches wouldn&#8217;t let me. My first element was 3A-3T, I did it well, but they said it could have been better. At first, I was really nervous, couldn&#8217;t skate freely. But then it got better, and it was a pleasure to skate.&#8221; Not upset to lose to Boyang Jin: &#8220;He does two quads. And he got TES of 88 points. He is a deserved winner. I&#8217;m quite content as it is, because it was my first Final, and I take home a medal.&#8221; &#8220;I didn&#8217;t think about (placement), when I came here. Of course, I wanted a medal. But the main goal was to skate well, and I did.&#8221; About training partners: &#8220;Of course, it&#8217;s motivating. You want to get to the certain level, maybe to achieve something. We train on the same ice. The atmosphere in our group is great. Sometimes we play football with Sergei Voronov for an Axel. We are all good friends.&#8221; &#8220;I made a big progress in this season. I&#8217;ve grown up a lot, but it didn&#8217;t hurt me. And I started taking training more seriously.&#8221; On why he chose skating: &#8220;I watched Alexei Yagudin&#8217;s Olympic skate and told my mom I wanted to be like him. She took me to the ice rink. At first, it didn&#8217;t work. My dad insisted I switched to football. But mine and my mother&#8217;s desire prevailed. I was four at the time. As my mother says, I barely learned to speak and immediately said I wanted to skate.&#8221; On when he realized that skating is a serious business: &#8220;When I realized that I didn&#8217;t really know anything else. I started to give skating everything I had&#8221; On how he would estimate his skating (on a scale from 1 to 5): &#8220;Four minus, because there is still a room for improvement skating-wise. I jump well, but I need to work on skating skills and spins. Then it&#8217;ll be much better.&#8221;

http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20131206/706067882.html

Volosozhar/Trankov said they expected Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy&#8217;s high scores didn&#8217;t come as a surprise for them:
    MT: &#8220;We saw in practices that they ditched the 3A throw, so it was clear they will get higher marks here. But we have to look at ourselves. Our PB is 83 points, we need to get at least 82, and we do so at the last four events. They have a room for growth, and we need to keep up with the level.&#8221; &#8220;We are satisfied with our skate, but we can do better. We got cautious towards the end, didn&#8217;t want to make a mistake on a simple element. Didn&#8217;t go all out. The death spiral, the spin, the lift &#8211; we can do with more flair. But we were just being careful.&#8221;
    MT says he expected a bigger score: &#8220;We thought that maybe the judges could give us a little bit more for a good skate at the GPF, where we coped with our nerves. But, in principle, this is a fair score.&#8221; He says he&#8217;s been a little bit distracted by final exams and thesis defence in the university he attends: &#8220;I had almost no rest, I prepared for the exam, then there was a thesis defence. We even had to change a little bit the training schedule because of my exam. But it was a pleasant distraction, I graduated from the university, I&#8217;m very happy about that, it&#8217;s my second degree&#8221;

http://fsrussia.ru/news/959_tatyana-...na-sopernikov/

(About skating after the Germans):
    MT: We&#8217;ve heard their scores, but we had a margin. We knew we could get over 80 points if we do everything. But there was a pressure, because all our rivals are here.
    TV: GPF equals six best skaters at the Worlds, that&#8217;s why it is always a very big responsibility. Today we coped with ourselves and therefore, we are happy.
    (On how to compete with the best):
    TV: You have to skate cleanly.
    MT: You know you can make no mistakes, because every little one is dangerous. More pressure. More concentration.
    TV: Plus, it&#8217;s the only competition before the Olympic Games when we compete against the Canadians, the Americans.
    (On keeping in top shape):
    MT: I can&#8217;t say we&#8217;re keeping it. Nina Mikhailovna (Mozer) dialed it down a bit after Skate America. You can say we&#8217;re in average shape now. We weren&#8217;t in top shape in Japan at the NHK. And now we aren&#8217;t 100% ready.
    TV: It&#8217;s our coach&#8217;s business. She controls the process. We do what she says.
    MT: Our goal is to skate even when we are not 100%. When we get to the top shape, maybe we will be unreachable.
    (About Maxim&#8217;s exams):
    MT: It was a distraction, of course, because I studied all the time, but it was pleasant, I&#8217;m happy I graduated and got a second degree. Ofc, we had to adjust the plan. I had to miss the practice completely once, when I had an exam.
    (About skating today):
    MT: In general, we are satisfied with our skate, but we can do better. We got cautious towards the end, didn&#8217;t want to make a mistake on a simple element. We didn&#8217;t go all out. The death spiral, the spin, the lift &#8211; we can do with more flair. We are not quite content with some elements today. But we tried to be careful.
    (About the possibility of the new world record):
    MT: We thought that since we skated last in the Final and coped with our nerves, maybe the judges could give us a little bit more. But, in principlewe understood that we skated to our 82 points, because we felt that we got the death spiral just barely. Everything was calculated, each rotation. Everything was sharp.
    TV: There was no margin.
    MT: When we felt a bit shaky before the step sequence, we did it extra carefully, in order not to stumble anywhere. Maybe that&#8217;s why the impression was lost a bit, but we are content. Did everything in style. For the first time did a twist well in the short. There are upsides to everything.

http://fsrussia.ru/news/976_anna-pogorilaya-na-trenirovke-my-peredelali-aksel/

Anna Pogorilaya: «We changed the Axel during practice»

«In the free, Axel was okay. I stumbled a bit on the first, because it was in the second part of the program and I was exhausted. I don't know how my legs held. Because of that, in the end I skated slower, and I finished after the music has ended. And missed the flip.
    I felt my legs were barely functioning, and I tried to go ahead of the music a bit. After the Lutz-toeloop combo the music accents the second step, and I did the first. I tried to speed up without messing the other elements. I did the donut spin to the music. Then I had a small break before the StSq, while usually I don't. It's such kind of music, you have to accentuate it, although the legs already hurt.
    My intention i the free program was not to climb up, but to overcome myself. I closed off a little after the short. I tried to concentrate on the skate, to do what I can.
    We changed the Axel just before the free program. I used to enter into the Axel with both my shoulders forward, and my coach have watched all my previous performances and said that I did a one-sided entry, and my shoulders acted as counterweights, and I didn't break the circle. After that, everything fell into place and I did the jump.
    My coach said it's not my competition yet. Said I should relax and try to enjoy the skating. My goal was to skate well at the Grand Prix events to increase my ranking. But we realized that I wouldn't finish in the top three unless some super miracle happened. Super, because it was already a miracle that I made it to the Final.»

http://fsrussia.ru/news/975_adelina-sotnikova-perenervnichala/

Adelina Sotnikova: «Can't say (what was the reason for such performance). Burned out. Overthinking, perhaps.
    I didn't feel the pressure. I don't know what happened. I did the first element, and then something went wrong. I can't explain what.
    I tried (to fight until the end and to smile). It's just, when the short is good, then some signal lights up: the short is over, now there's only a free left. And something goes wrong.»

http://fsrussia.ru/news/974_yuliya-lipnickaya-ya-mogu-borotsya-i-dolzhna/

Julia Lipnitskaya: «I really had to fight for landings today. In Canada, I just skated and didn't think much. And here I had to fight. It's not that something was wrong, but I had to control each element.
    I tried not to show it, but I was nervous. I thought something might go wrong again. What happened in Moscow, it was really unexpected. I thought, what if it happens again. I had to fight. At least, I did everything I could here.
    (The free skate in the Final was worse than in Canada, but better, than in Moscow) Yes. Plus the scoring in Japan &#8212; I think, it was fair. No one gets any slack.
    (About the shout before the program in Moscow): It came out of nowhere. You're about to start a program, and there is a shout. I didn't even understand what he said. I was told later that that was an encouragement. It was supposed to help. But to be honest, I don't think that that was a reason for my mistakes in Moscow. Nothing worked that day the way it should, from the very beginning.
    (If she could ask the fans not to shout anymore) No, I don't think I would. I can't say it's bad. It should't knock me off, it can happen anytime anywhere at any competition.
    I got a very valuable experience in Moscow. When the Federation officials came to visit us, a week after the Rostelecom Cup, Valantin Nikolaevitch (Piseev) shouted something when I was preparing to skate, to help me to cope with that. I skated well that day, by the way.
    (The Rostelecom Cup) was a week ago, but I have changed. I can't say I fought there. After the the first mistakes, something happened to me. Here, I can't say I was shaking, but it was a bit rough, I don't know whether it was because of nerves or because I had to show everything I could, but I fought. And my coach said, Julia, the you fought, good for you.
    I didn't set any goal for the Final, I skated for myself, tried to redeem myself for the poor performance in Moscow, to make it clear that I can fight and should fight.

28. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thank you !!!!!!!!!! :)

29. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Congrats to Voronov and Gachinsky, who were first and second at Golden Spin in Zagreb! Keep on making Kovtun work, boys!

30. misskarne

misskarne #408

Here is my Gachinski fan-card, I am handing it over because I am such a bad fan that I didn't even realise he was competing at Golden Spin. *facepalm*

But pleased to see he and Voronov are gonna fight Kovtun for it!