From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hmm, actually is Leonova eligible? No idea if she's in the usual sport university classes, but she is in the right age bracket at least. Universiades were more on par with Senior B's (don't think they even had min score requirements in the past).

eta: How are the # of spots determined? quiqie mentioned 3 spots for Russia, but Artemieva was 10th in 2011?

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wu2011/CAT002RS.HTM

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Each country gets 3 spots in all categories:

figure skating universaide site http://www.universiadetrentino.org/it/pattinaggio-artistico

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  3. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^Aa, that makes sense. Thanks!

4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

The question shouldn't be if Leonova is eligible, but if she would be better choice than Biryukova. :shuffle:

To be fair, Leonova did skate better at the SP than I expected. However, from the last worlds I remember that she was landing toe jumps, it was the edge jumps (loop, Salchow and axel) that she couldn't land to save her life. In the SP today she was doing toe-toe and flip, so again toe jumps. She can get away with that in the SP, but she will be seriously limited in the FS if she will avoid the edge jumps or mess them up. Oh well, we will see tomorrow!

5. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Love the najinski part! It's so striking. Reminded me totally of his peak performance -Russian nationals 2004.

7. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

He is fantastic..... given he is just few months out of a back surgery, in pain, taking 4 pain shots a day.

here are his interviews in Russian mentioning that. He sais he is hurting and can't skate without shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FUr3mv_xo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcWvMm_9pRtkybqpmZIn5kQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGS1iAchjtw&list=UUcWvMm_9pRtkybqpmZIn5kQ

8. casken

casken Well-Known Member

9. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I expect him to WD from ROC if he's got all the necessary scores. He will need to do Russian nationals, probably skip Europeans and save it for those 4 skates in Sochi. Although, I suspect Russia would have no problems with him skipping Nationals. He doesn't really need it either since they can send whomever they want to Sochi.

10. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Gorgeous!

I had some trouble recognising the music though. I didn't get the opening, then there was Tosca, the Godfather, Nijinsky...I didn't recognise the next part...then it was back to Tosca, and I didn't recognise the ending.

11. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

You summed up some of my thoughts exactly!!! :lol:

2nd (better?) video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ni6gOLbrU

12. senorita

senorita New Member

I hope he withdraws from everything till Sochi, i m afraid of the screws getting loose.
    Are there almost all skaters doing the same, waiting for the second half to release all the jumps? Well he learnt to do it too. Five jumps after half mark :hat1:
    The opening, it is St Peterburg 300, then Godfather, Nijinski, Tango Roxanne, Tosca (the Marton version), I think Adagio at the very end with a guitar of something else.

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

A 3/5 layout from Plushy with 3a-3t and and three jump combo in the bonus? Hell yeah. Where was that in Vancouver!? Sigh.

There's actually a nice spread on his PCS marks. From 7.00 for transitions to 10.00 for performance/execution. He says this is 80% of what he can do. I think presentation-wise he can do much better. This was basically a practice session/test skate that happened to be scored, IMO. I expect way more energy.

Level 4 steps, level 3 and 4 spins. Even if the marks were inflated, the base value 74.13 beats Chan's at SC and is behind Hanyu by about two points (he got credit for a 4sal, but he fell on it). Machida's is much higher at 80.66.

The good news is that he's competitive on base value and the judges like him and give him high PCS... and that is CoP in a nutshell.

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

With TES of 88.71 in the FS, I'd say he :kickass: the TES Minimums for the Olympics: it's nearly twice the 45-point minimum.

It wasn't in Vancouver because he went on a crash diet and crash training program to even get there, plus I think he took a little too much for granted given the shape he was in and still almost won another gold.

ETA: The power just went out on our block where I'm visiting in Seattle as I was trying to post this, so he must still have superpowers.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  15. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

OMG, thanks so much, DobrinFan, for the video! :encore:

I got chills watching it, like I was back in the audience at the 2010 Olympics watching him skate live, and even better, Holy Smokes! :kickass: Honestly, if it's at all possible I think he skates even better, his jumps are perfection, and his passion intense. If he's skating like this already I can only imagine what it will look like come the Olympics in his homeland. :cool: But more than anything I would love to see him add an 11th National Title to his resume; he already holds the Russian record, as well as tieing 9 other men in all-time National Record Holders, but with an 11th National Title he would be on an even more select list that includes John Ferguson Page (Britain), Oliver Honer (Switzerland), and Werner Rittberger (Germany; 3-time World Silver Medalist, 4-time European Medalist, creator of the 3R jump). The all-time National Record Holder is Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria with 14 (btw he's married to Angela Nikodinov). :) Additionally, if Evgeni competes at Europeans and wins he'll tie Karl Schafer (Austria; 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist) with 8 European Titles (only Ulrich Salchow has more at 9; all-time Record Holder). :cool:

I've already bookmarked his FS; my favorite part is the Nijinsky one of course. :smokin:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Plushenko's programs are very basic and very empty and he is slow. Kudos to him for landing the jumps despite his numerous injuries but if judges at ISU comps give him high PCS for this... :scream:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

He already has screws loose, to even contemplate still competing after all of his injuries, let alone doing it.

I have great respect for his tenacity and his commitment. The program, as usual, is another whole story.... :blah:

18. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

He loves to skate, what can one say, and I love to watch him skate! :encore:

sorry for the egregious comment, but I just had to, lol. :D

Now off to watch his FS for the umpth time. ;)

19. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

jumps look better than Vancouver…i'll drink the kool aid and give him respect for an amazing career, which I'm assuming the music choices are in homage to…Hope he can finish strong at home in Sochi

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  20. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Amazing jumps.

In between the elements it almost looked like a practice session with just plain skating. I'm assuming he will add some more CH and hip thrusts as the season progresses? :) I actually don't mind the music cuts...actually I think using the "best of Plushenko" is a brilliant strategy by Mr. Mishin.

Mad :respekt: to Plushenko, though. It is so good for the sport if he can skate in Sochi. A little perspective: he won junior worlds freaking 16 years ago!

21. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Seriously, what was with all the 9's? I know this was a home competition of some sort, but you'd think the judges would want to maintain some credibility. I respect his longevity, but his basic skating which wasn't that strong to begin with has taken such a hit with all of the injuries.

22. rfisher

:rofl: Such a terrible skater and to think he has 2 Olympic silver medals, an Olympic gold medal, junior and senior World championships, multiple European championships, National championships, GP wins.....all while being a terrible skater. I guess all those other skaters he competed against were people who just walked in off the street and they let skate. At the Olympics. Three times. And one of those times he hadn't even competed in the previous 4 years. Go figure.

He and his coach have been very up front that the programs are not at full strength or even complete. All he needed here was the qualifying scores, which he got handily. He's shown time and time again that he is a fierce competitor. I wouldn't count him out until we see how he skates in Sochi.

23. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Again I want to point out he did 5 jumping passes in the second half of the program including the 3axel-3toe. In 2009-10 he was doing 3 jumping passes in the second half and in Torino he did only two! I did not bother watching his 6.0 programs to count the jumps (no protocols there for easy lookup) but given the frontloading that was rampant then, I'm pretty sure this was a first for Plushy. That alone is an incredible accomplishment for him. The steps were level 4 in both programs and the spins were levels 3 and 4. Remember this is someone for whom those elements were a rest period from the time he started training, who never knew there would be a judging system counting all the steps and edges. I forgot who it was but there was a recent interview with a coach who said she was impressed just seeing him struggle to do all those positions in his spins he's never had to do. Must be humbling.

I wish he'd go back to the Saint-Saens LP from last year because it would be more deserving of the PCS he got here, but I can imagine how motivating it must feel skating to all the music from all his gold medal programs. I wish he'd have included "Tango Amore" cause I like it better than "Godfather."

Honestly as a fan I was worried he would skate here and be like 50 points behind Chan, Fernandez and the Japanese guys... all I wanted was for him to still be part of the conversation... even I underestimate him.

24. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Only nobody said that he is a terrible skater.

He has terrible programs. Which should receive TR in the 1-2 range and not much more for CH.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. senorita

senorita New Member

^ i didnt see transitions but i saw choreo, greatest hits one :)
    He went from one side of the rink to the other with two strokes in his prime time. He could hold the stupiest landings, he was holding the edge on landings for long, i used to love that. If your basics suck, how can you even come back like 3 times after a hiatus and learn new stuff at 25 +?Who learns spin positions at 30? Even Cousins at Vancouver he said he loves his twizzles for a singles skater.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Exactly. And that program was just as much of a hot mess as I thought it would be, was seriously laughing so much I was crying while watching it.

27. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

10s for performance/execution? Huh. But I'll admit I was never the biggest Plushenko fan. :slinkaway:

28. JJS5056

JJS5056 Member

As Ziggy already said, nobody called Plushenko a terrible skater, so no need for the dramatics. There are questions over the legitimacy of his PCS and you've stated right here that even Plushenko and Mishin said the programs aren't complete/100% - I can't imagine skaters with even the best components scoring 9's with programs that they admit aren't full strength, so it's a valid concern.

29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Only if you think transitions is judged on Spread eagles or like moves before jumps.

30. rfisher

:lol: concern for whom? Are you the skating police? What are you or anybody who is "concerned" going to do? Protest to the ISU? :rofl: