From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. shah

shah Shhh...

Exactly! She withdrew from NHK, but is able to compete at home? Well, something is wrong about it...

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Leonova has not withdrawn from NHK: she withdrew from SC. Leonova wasn't at Worlds, so she wasn't seeded, and she wasn't a comeback skater, to which the restrictions on competing and performing elsewhere apply.

3. shah

shah Shhh...

I thought I read in another thread rumours about her wd from NHK. Good to know they weren't true :).

4. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Actually, she was at Worlds, but she finished 13th, so she wasn't seeded.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

:eek:. (How soon I forget.)

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

After how Pogorilaya has laid it down at CoC, I am going to be keeping my fingers and toes crossed for her making the Olympic team. She has been very consistent since the start of last season and she's been working on her weaknesses. She deserves it.

Her 2013 Worlds performances are better best forgotten. ;)

7. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Yes. It must be hard for Leonova now, to see the new generation coming. I am not that big fan of her, but I hope she can cherish her World silver. There are many good skaters who never got that kind of achievement.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Also, she is a skater who entertained us, who made us smile and who will not be easily forgotten. Not many skaters can claim that achievement either. :)

9. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

I wonder how many of these young Russian ladies got into skating because of Irina. These girls would have been small children when Irina skated - she probably motivated them to spur more Russians into skating.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I wish more Russian skaters had been inpsired by Butyrskaya instead.

Much like Flatt, she definitely over-achieved given her natural abilities.

11. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Noooo, you guys are writing Leonova's skating obituary already. I still hold out hope she can still skate on the grand prix and make one or two more Euro/Worlds teams even if this year is likely a lost cause.

She has stated in a couple interviews she plans to keep.competing this next quadrennial.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Except competition is only going to become more intense in the coming seasons when Radionova, Medvedeva, Proklova etc become age eligible too.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This!

The 'all jumps who cares about the presentation' trend we see with so many Russian girls (I AM LOOKING AT YOU SOT AND TUK) is giving me death in my soul.

Given the amount of 12 and 13 year olds doing triple-triple combinations consistently, good luck with that. :p

14. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Heh, and here I remember years of commentators and skating fans talking about how much Butyrskaya sucked. (Not you guys, specifically). It's funny how perceptions change over the years. If I had been a young skater reading about Butyrskaya I would've gotten the message to do anything but be like her.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She is probably my favourite female skater ever. Her musicality, her maturity, her diva-ness, the passion she would always put across in her performances, her elegance - she was just stunning.

If I remember correctly, she was criticised a lot by NA posters because of her lack of flexibility.

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yeah, I guess she was more appreciated in Europe, at least from the Eurosport commentary I've heard. The NA commentators were very hard on her, not just for lack of flexibility but for the stiff knees (which was overblown, I think) and the layback spin. They never gave her any credit for her basics at all. It's such a pleasure having Dick and Peggy out. Terry and Tara have been very positive about the young Russian girls... I shudder to think of what Uncle Dick would've said. :scream: They really ruined so many skaters for me. Another thing about Butyrskaya was her SPs and Exhibitions tended to be more interesting cause she choreographed them herself, but US TV tended to show LPs more often.

17. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Butyrskaya was :respec: :glamor: I ALWAYS preferred her to Slutskaya. And by some way.

18. bek

bek Guest

I would imagine the commentary for Maria was different in Russia than the commentary in America.

I actually suspect that Dick might like some of these young Russians...(I'm not sure about Julia's pendiness) but some of them are starting to look like a return of the baby ballerina's..The top 1 and 3 JGPF qualifiers are prime examples...

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Case in point: Maria Butyrskaya - 2000 Worlds SP

One of the most incredible performances ever. :glamor:

20. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

^one of my favourite SP's of all time.

21. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Have you seen her FS program from this week? If you did, I think you would also be quite pessimistic about her chances of being sent to Europeans/Olympics/Worlds, considering how Lipnitskaya, Pogorilaya, Sotnikova andTuktamysheva are skating. Leonova's free program is completely empty, no transitions and she still does not hit the elements. I think even Gosviani has more chance than Leonova at this stage. And next season some other skaters become eligible, for example Radionova...

22. shah

shah Shhh...

Absolutely!!!! :respec:
    Plus she is one of very few skaters to have an enjoyable programme to "Otonal" - it's also some kind of accomplishment :).

23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I never liked Butyrskaya. :shuffle: Which goes to show how truely subjective skating is. :lol:

24. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

Not to mention she was the first skater to discover and unleash Otonal on the world. Still the best program ever to it :cheer: (with nods to Liaahenko and Weir).

But Butyrskaya was my favorite skater ever and I likely won't ever have another skater who I will ever be as obsessed with. I first saw her on 97 Worlds telecast and was instantly intrigued with the pissed off redheaded Russian woman...she totally stood out amongst all the girls.

And then she won the 98 Euros on my 15th birthday, by unexpectedly winning from fifth to first (totally dating myself here). :D I was ecstatic...obviously I still remember.

She possessed such a unique combination of divatude, vulnerability, voids, femininity. She could be fragile yet strong as hell at the same time. It's hard to explain but even at the very end of her eligible career I found her continuously compelling.

I only wished she would have taken more risks with her LPs. Swan Lake, Seventeen Moments in Spring, and Tale of Travel all were good programs and different but they lacked the excitement and charisma of her interpretive pro-am programs: Forever Tango, Habanera, Adagio are all stunning programs. I felt any of these would have made a masterpiece of an LP.

I'll end my fanatical rambling now. ;)

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Leonova cannot do a 3lz-3t or a 3-1/2lo-3 sequence or a 2a-3t. All she can do is a 3t-3t, and it hasn't been that consistent in awhile, and her 3lz and 3f are virtually the same jump. Her World silver is far enough in the past that her PCS won't be high anymore unless she skates really well, she is simply not going to be competitive. Lip and Pogo rattle off 3lz-3t like it's nothing and have already hit all 7 of their planned triples in the FS in international competition already this season. Sot and Tuk may be headcasing but they at least attempt difficult content and Tuk is capable of 3lz-3t and 2a-3t clean with +GOE, Sot idk about URs so maybe she can't hope to get full marks for her hard combos, but she also has much better spins than Leonova and probably better PCS by a decent margin at this point. If Gosviani can start landing more of her jumps even she probably has a better chance than Leonova. When Leonova won silver at Worlds, the field was really weak. Her FS score at the Worlds she won that silver at was ONE point higher than Pogorilaya's FS score at CoC, and she's a 15 year old making her senior debut and it wasn't even a clean program, and the caliber maybe worthy of top 10 at World but definitely not silver medal.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_11_05/Figure-skating-Plushenko-is-ready-to-open-new-season-5455/
    Competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?89753-22nd-Volvo-Open-Cup-in-Riga-LAT-Nov-7-10-2013

Entries/Results page: http://kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo22th/ISU/index.htm

5 Russian Senior men's entries are listed:
    13 Sergey BORODULIN RUS
    14 Zhan BUSH RUS
    15 Artem LEZHEEV RUS
    16 Alexander PETROV RUS
    17 Jevgeniy PLYUSCHENKO RUS

2 Russian Senior ladies entries:
    13 Tatiana SHILINA RUS
    14 Yulia STARIKOVA RUS

1 Russian Senior dance entry:
    18 Svetlana KHOMIAKOVA / Nikita SHUDO-JABLONSKII RUS

3 Russian Junior ladies:
    36 Aleksandra BARBOLINA RUS
    37 Maria GOROKHOVA RUS
    38 Serafima SAKHANOVICH RUS

5 Russian Junior men:
    10 Alexander AKIMOV RUS
    11 Mihail DOMNIN RUS
    12 Igor JEFIMCHUK RUS
    13 Alexey KRASNOZHON RUS
    14 Pavel VYUGOV RUS

9 Russian Junior Dance entries:
    12 Ksenia BALYBERDINA / Maksim OSIPENKO RUS
    13 Olga BIBIHINA / Vadim BOIZOV RUS
    14 Ekaterina BOCHAROVA / Anton SHIBNEV RUS
    15 Anastasia SAFRONOVA / Ilia ZIMIN RUS
    16 Anastasiia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN RUS
    17 Liudmila SOSNITSKAIA / Pavel GOLOVISHNIKOV RUS
    18 Daria VELICHKO / Egor TARASENKO RUS
    19 Sofiya VEREZEMSKAYA / Ivan VEDEROV RUS
    20 Anna YANOVSKAYA / Sergey MOZGOV

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ziggy, just got this info now? you must have been quite busy in the off season ;)
    kudos to plushy for staying around, but i'm in the same enthusiasm as you ziggy :shuffle:

29. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

whoever shilina and starikova are, they got an international assignment, biryukova not.
    statement clear :D

30. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Biryukova is the most likely candidate for Universiade.