From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ciocio

ciocio New Member

OMG, Plushy is going to release his greatest hits this week!!!:fan::plush::cheer2:
  2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Why? What decides who they are going to send? I didn't get the impression that Byriukova has done somehow extremely well so far this season, although she is doing better than last year.
  3. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I saw some posts in other threads that Russian nationals would no longer allow girls under 14 to skate in seniors. What was the rationale for this? I mean, I guess it's because the event is so full and I know there's overlap with juniors, but it seems sort of counterintuitive to me. I think a lot of the reason the girls are so good is because they got senior experience from such a young age. It forced the young jumpers to work on presentation and pushed the older ladies to keep up technically, IMO. If the young ones are qualifying over the older ones, why not? Is it just for the Olympic season or will it be the new normal?
  5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

My guess would be that they don't want to have senior nationals full of girls who are not eligible and then not have anyone to send out to Europeans/Olympics/Worlds. There have been a year in the past when they had to send to Europeans the skaters who placed 4th and 6th at their nationals because the ones who placed higher were not eligible. You don't really want to be sending to Olympics someone who placed sixth in their nationals. It sounds much better sending there Russian champion.

Last year Gosviani was only third substitute for nationals, so if three girls did not withdraw she would not even be allowed to compete because she wouldn't have qualified. Now seeing her results I would say that it would be a pity. So maybe there are some other talented skaters who couldn't get through (wouldn't qualify) because they couldn't beat the youngsters. Maybe some other 'hidden talent' get their chance.

On the other hand, I do feel sorry for the youngsters. They are so talented.... It must be said for some girls that the were allowed to compete there last year, and suddenly this year they are too young.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Cherub721 - The fact there are hardly any age-eligible skaters at Nationals means that there is no competition (because for the age-eligible skaters, there isn't anybody to compete with since 90% are too young).

Also, what Hanca said:

Having 6th placed skater go to Euros/Worlds/Olympics doesn't exactly look great. ;)

And there might be decent 'older' Ladies who would never be discovered otherwise, like Gosviani.

I hope it stays this way. Senior Nationals are for Seniors. Younger skaters have Junior Nationals.
  7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Also, a skater under 14 can't go to a senior level international competition either the year of nationals or the year after, so it makes sense to me, in a way.
  8. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

In the past level of competition was so bad that it was required to have some of the junior ladies compete and improve overall technical content of the competion. Now, some of these babies from that era are senior eligible and the technical content and overall standard of competion is really high. Having 12 and 13 year olds would really take the opportunity out of some of the age-eligeble senior athletes. Saying that, i feel it is unfair to athlete like Serafima Sakhanovch who finished 4th last year at the nationals and is not age-eligeble this year (I would't have cared if it wasn't Serafima :slink away).

Dobrinfan has posted Plushy's SP in the Volvo cup thread.
  9. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Because there aren't many skaters who are students (who aren't also candidates for the Olympic team). Basically, it's just Biryukova and Artemyeva (and there is one more spot left).
  10. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Cherub721:rofl::lynch::rofl: Don´t put any ideas to the skater´s minds.
    But if Tatjana Flade says it is nice, it can not be totally bad.
  11. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

You know what? I don't care about the score, I don't care about the levels or the PCS or anything like that.

To watch him land that triple Axel, KNOWING what he has been through, knowing that his back is held together with screws and artificial disc...he is the champion, the undisputed King. No-one else shall beat him in that regard.
  12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

yes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GD9k5fzJ8Y he landed not one 4T and 3A today ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsc_x3gFiUw
  13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

The best of Plushenko is the best!
    Evgeny PLYUSCHENKO
    RUS 180.91 88.71 92.20 9.25 8.60 9.60 9.30 9.3

:respec::respec::plush:
  14. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

quiqie, do they have to study at the university, or any secondary school/high school/college would count? For example, what's wrong with Radionova? Surely she attends some school? (or is she home schooled?) I thought that Russians have quite a few possible candidates who are better than Byriukova. I would understand that Artemyeva would get it because she has been skating pretty well this season, but as Russians can send only two girls to the Olympics, there will be plenty of spare ones to attend Universiade. Whoever doesn't get the spot at Olympics out of Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva, Lipnitskaya, Gosviani, Pogorilaya could be send to Universiade, couldn't they?
  15. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Here are the requirements. Yes, it has to be a university and there are age limits as well. http://www.wugusa.com/world-championships/fisu/
  16. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Thank you, ioana.
  17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Sure thing! I remember we went through them when the Brazilian skater who was a grad student somewhere in Italy went to the Winter games a few years ago :).
  18. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Still, it is amazing. So many good skaters and they have nearly no one to send!
  19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Makarova's hip will magically get better ;)? I agree, they don't have too many skaters who are eligible based on the current rules. Hopefully, some of the current juniors stay in for a few good years.
  20. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Makarova had two very bad seasons. She wasn't landing her jumps (a bit like Leonova now), so even if her injury got better, not sure if that would bring her jumps back. Especially if she is not training any more.
  21. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Hmm, actually is Leonova eligible? No idea if she's in the usual sport university classes, but she is in the right age bracket at least. Universiades were more on par with Senior B's (don't think they even had min score requirements in the past).

eta: How are the # of spots determined? quiqie mentioned 3 spots for Russia, but Artemieva was 10th in 2011?

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wu2011/CAT002RS.HTM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  22. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Each country gets 3 spots in all categories:

figure skating universaide site http://www.universiadetrentino.org/it/pattinaggio-artistico
    ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  23. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

^Aa, that makes sense. Thanks!
  24. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

The question shouldn't be if Leonova is eligible, but if she would be better choice than Biryukova. :shuffle:

To be fair, Leonova did skate better at the SP than I expected. However, from the last worlds I remember that she was landing toe jumps, it was the edge jumps (loop, Salchow and axel) that she couldn't land to save her life. In the SP today she was doing toe-toe and flip, so again toe jumps. She can get away with that in the SP, but she will be seriously limited in the FS if she will avoid the edge jumps or mess them up. Oh well, we will see tomorrow!
  25. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

26. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Love the najinski part! It's so striking. Reminded me totally of his peak performance -Russian nationals 2004.
  27. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

He is fantastic..... given he is just few months out of a back surgery, in pain, taking 4 pain shots a day.

here are his interviews in Russian mentioning that. He sais he is hurting and can't skate without shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FUr3mv_xo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcWvMm_9pRtkybqpmZIn5kQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGS1iAchjtw&list=UUcWvMm_9pRtkybqpmZIn5kQ
  28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

29. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I expect him to WD from ROC if he's got all the necessary scores. He will need to do Russian nationals, probably skip Europeans and save it for those 4 skates in Sochi. Although, I suspect Russia would have no problems with him skipping Nationals. He doesn't really need it either since they can send whomever they want to Sochi.
  30. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Gorgeous!

I had some trouble recognising the music though. I didn't get the opening, then there was Tosca, the Godfather, Nijinsky...I didn't recognise the next part...then it was back to Tosca, and I didn't recognise the ending.
  31. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

You summed up some of my thoughts exactly!!! :lol:

2nd (better?) video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ni6gOLbrU
  32. senorita

senorita New Member

I hope he withdraws from everything till Sochi, i m afraid of the screws getting loose.
    Are there almost all skaters doing the same, waiting for the second half to release all the jumps? Well he learnt to do it too. Five jumps after half mark :hat1:
    The opening, it is St Peterburg 300, then Godfather, Nijinski, Tango Roxanne, Tosca (the Marton version), I think Adagio at the very end with a guitar of something else.
  33. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

A 3/5 layout from Plushy with 3a-3t and and three jump combo in the bonus? Hell yeah. Where was that in Vancouver!? Sigh.

There's actually a nice spread on his PCS marks. From 7.00 for transitions to 10.00 for performance/execution. He says this is 80% of what he can do. I think presentation-wise he can do much better. This was basically a practice session/test skate that happened to be scored, IMO. I expect way more energy.

Level 4 steps, level 3 and 4 spins. Even if the marks were inflated, the base value 74.13 beats Chan's at SC and is behind Hanyu by about two points (he got credit for a 4sal, but he fell on it). Machida's is much higher at 80.66.

The good news is that he's competitive on base value and the judges like him and give him high PCS... and that is CoP in a nutshell.
  34. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

With TES of 88.71 in the FS, I'd say he :kickass: the TES Minimums for the Olympics: it's nearly twice the 45-point minimum.

It wasn't in Vancouver because he went on a crash diet and crash training program to even get there, plus I think he took a little too much for granted given the shape he was in and still almost won another gold.

ETA: The power just went out on our block where I'm visiting in Seattle as I was trying to post this, so he must still have superpowers.
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  35. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

OMG, thanks so much, DobrinFan, for the video! :encore:

I got chills watching it, like I was back in the audience at the 2010 Olympics watching him skate live, and even better, Holy Smokes! :kickass: Honestly, if it's at all possible I think he skates even better, his jumps are perfection, and his passion intense. If he's skating like this already I can only imagine what it will look like come the Olympics in his homeland. :cool: But more than anything I would love to see him add an 11th National Title to his resume; he already holds the Russian record, as well as tieing 9 other men in all-time National Record Holders, but with an 11th National Title he would be on an even more select list that includes John Ferguson Page (Britain), Oliver Honer (Switzerland), and Werner Rittberger (Germany; 3-time World Silver Medalist, 4-time European Medalist, creator of the 3R jump). The all-time National Record Holder is Ivan Dinev of Bulgaria with 14 (btw he's married to Angela Nikodinov). :) Additionally, if Evgeni competes at Europeans and wins he'll tie Karl Schafer (Austria; 2-time Olympic Gold Medalist) with 8 European Titles (only Ulrich Salchow has more at 9; all-time Record Holder). :cool:

I've already bookmarked his FS; my favorite part is the Nijinsky one of course. :smokin:
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Plushenko's programs are very basic and very empty and he is slow. Kudos to him for landing the jumps despite his numerous injuries but if judges at ISU comps give him high PCS for this... :scream:
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

He already has screws loose, to even contemplate still competing after all of his injuries, let alone doing it.

I have great respect for his tenacity and his commitment. The program, as usual, is another whole story.... :blah:
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  38. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

He loves to skate, what can one say, and I love to watch him skate! :encore:

sorry for the egregious comment, but I just had to, lol. :D

Now off to watch his FS for the umpth time. ;)
  39. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

jumps look better than Vancouver…i'll drink the kool aid and give him respect for an amazing career, which I'm assuming the music choices are in homage to…Hope he can finish strong at home in Sochi
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  40. alchemy void

alchemy void Well-Known Member

Amazing jumps.

In between the elements it almost looked like a practice session with just plain skating. I'm assuming he will add some more CH and hip thrusts as the season progresses? :) I actually don't mind the music cuts...actually I think using the "best of Plushenko" is a brilliant strategy by Mr. Mishin.

Mad :respekt: to Plushenko, though. It is so good for the sport if he can skate in Sochi. A little perspective: he won junior worlds freaking 16 years ago!