From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thank you!

I like Ilinykh's dress/ensemble, just not for this. I see they have added no transitions since the test skate, so what I thought was them skating through their choreo was in fact their choreo. But the way ice dance is judged today, I applaud that as smart planning. They have good speed. I like the lifts, and the twizzles used the music well and covered the ice. Nikita does well with the demon character, but somehow this program feels really juniorish, even compared to the other two teams here.

S&Z look much more polished and mature, but the program is a disappointed coming from Averbukh.

I think I liked S&B best. They had the most going on in their program. That music sounds so familiar. They showed great speed and attack, and they look like they are seniors and have been for some time, especially him. I hate the way they are rushing through everything though, and her positions are so ugly. What happened to all the good female Russian ice dancers? :(

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

3. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I&K's program has stunning lifts and beautiful flow, but there really isn't much happening outside the elements, and the program felt disjointed the longer it went on.

I'm a bit disappointed in both S&Z and S&B's FDs as well. Both seemed heavy and nondescript. Neither team looked as techincally sharp as M&K have so far either.

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Disjointed is a good word for I&K. It was like here's a famous piece of music from Swan Lake, and another famous piece of music from Swan Lake, and another. There wasn't much connection between them either. They seemed to be performing two completely different dances. S&Z and S&B both did the generic flingy Eastern Euro stuff. It's sad this is what Russian ice dancing has become.

5. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I hope whatever B&S are working on now is good. :shuffle:

Are we really going to have to wait to CoC to see it? :wuzrobbed

6. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Their supposed to compete at Ice Star in Minsk which runs the same weekend as Skate America. And last year there were vids!

7. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Oh good! I did not know that. :)

8. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It may change after sochi when they all move to Detroit! Lol.

9. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

And I hated them :lol:

10. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I love what Artur has been able to do in developing his upper body...his moves look strong. Not enough jumps here to judge, but the one he landed was wonderful!! Liza looks goo, too!

11. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

THIS is why I love this kid so much!! He researches his music, outsources things like the ballet version, and pays homage to the ballet program and dancer in his program!! I love those moves!

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  12. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I/K I loved the new lift's.They always seem to skate so far apart even in closed hold's.Nikita always struggles with the twizzles:rolleyes:Monko/Khaliavin have impressed me so far !

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I LOVE Gachinski too! He has a champion spirit within that is striving to emerge. He is so brilliantly talented, but it's such a shame to see him not be able to produce the jumps in competition that he performs so easily in practice. I would love to see him on any podium; he is definitely one of my favorites. :)

14. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

ah, pushkash/guerrerio. not that I'm a fan of them, but seeing them after they've seen their scores makes me almost cry.

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Are they still with Morozov? Maybe time to leave. 3 seasons ago they were silver medallists at junior worlds, and since then the best they managed it 2nd place at same senior B competitions, 7th and 6th at GP... And now they were beaten by couples from Hungary, Czech and Slovakia? 9th??? That's not great! I think this has been their worst result within the last few years.

16. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

no, they're with krylova now, but unfortunately the marks didn't just get high because of that

17. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Good, I am sure Krylova will fix them. But there is a lot of work to be done and that will take time.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

19. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

So I don't completely hate Artur's new SP on first view. In fact I kinda like it. I don't immediately love it, but I kinda like it. I'm sure it'll grow on me. But damn he was so close to sticking that quad. Chin up, Artur! It wasn't terrible!

I actually quite like Liza's SP - the girl knows how to sell it, at least. Music is pretty awful, would be fine without that terrible vocal especially at the end; in some arenas I can see spectators muffling their ears, because I can imagine that live that's going to get pretty shrill.

20. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

Final Results from Russian Cup II Sochi!!!

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Pogorilaya and Lipnitskaya for the Olympic team :lol:
    Tuk and Sot do not seem to be in form to be competitive there at this point, I don't care about PCS at least Pogorilaya can land and rotate her triples!!!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

And yikes 74 for Korobeynikova?! :scream: And at a domestic event as well...I really hope she is not injured, she is so talented and beautiful to watch, it's a shame to see her struggle like this...

23. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

You, my dear, are my new best friend!! I too hope that he can emerge from the ether that was last season strong, and consistent i landing those magnificent jumps!!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Anyone get/have any vids of Gachinski's SP from Finlandia?? Artur fell on his quad?? Oh, poor bb. Where did he place after the short?? Curious and stuck here in the States..

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  26. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

27. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I see Gachinski struggled with the two big elements, but I think the program is beautiful and that his upper body movement has a lot of fluidity. He flails a bit in the footwork, but the pace is slow enough that his arms don't get crazy.

ETA: Does anyone know why the step sequence got no credit? I didn't see a discernible pattern, and the start wouldn't have been offside.

29. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

This seems to be an issue Affecting many skaters and it's not using all the ice surface.

30. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

With all due respect to their coaching teams, I think Liza and Adelina need (mini) makeovers. I don't really see their skating going in the right direction - in terms of performance, but also in packaging and style. IMO.