From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Creating from scratch.

2. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I've forgotten what their original FD was? :confused:

ETA: Well I just watched the test skate. Whilst I had no problem with that FD, I'm not necessarily sorry they're changing it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Hopefully now they have crazy voidy Zhulin masterpieces like their FD last year. Their SD last season was beautiful as well. They deserve that level of dance at the very least for the Olympics

I liked their FD but I'm excited to see their new one.

4. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Really? Two new programs so close to the start of the new season? :eek:

5. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I suppose it is better than two new programs in the middle of the season.

6. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

From the Russian Cup held in Sochi today:

1 Elena Ilinykh / Nikita Katsalapov MOS 67.26 33.10 34.16 8.60 8.35 8.50 8.60 8.60 0.00
    2 Victoria Sinitsina / Ruslan Zhiganshina MOS 62.89 32.60 30.29 7.65 7.45 7.65 7.55 7.55 0.00
    3 Alexandra Stepanova / Ivan Bukin MOS 58.77 30.00 29.77 7.40 7.30 7.50 7.55 7.45 1.00

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Well, that is a pity. I loved both the FD music and the choreography in it, and was excited to see it at competitions, although, admittedly, Soloviev was far from the image of a bird that he (as well as Bobrova) was supposed to show. Probably that was part of the problem - they were not comfortable with the choreography and/or able to execute it in the intended way.

Thank you for the information.

8. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

OMG, I just came from the K&C and noticed that Elizaveta will be skating on the 5th of October at Finlandia Trophy! :encore:

Along with Artur Gachinsky! :eek:

I honestly cannot wait to see these two; this competition looks totally BAD A**! Here's hoping they come out kicking booty & taking names (along with Mirai, lol)! :kickass:

9. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I also liked the music and choreography, the whole concept. But I suppose it is not uncommon to change the program at the last moment if it doesn't feel right. Last year (or was it 2 years ago?) Kavaguti- Smirnov prepared SP 'cats' and then last minute change it for their third version of the same Waltz they had the previous season.

Didn't also US dancers (don't remember who exactly it was but one of the top ones) change their program last year after their skate camp?

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Davis and white famously did it just last year but this is Olympic season! More scrutiny and changing seems like total panic nervous breakdown.

11. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

The last time K/S used The Blue Danube was in the back half of the free skate during the last Olympic year.

12. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Stunned to hear that B&S are scrapping the FD. Like most have said, it seemed to have a lot of potential, and even Zhulin himself acknowledged in an interview that it got almost a universally positive reception at the test skates.

I just hope they came up with something so brilliant that it justified the switch.

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

Honestly, after last season, right now I am just going to settle for Artur skating steadily, landing jumps cleanly, and skating well. He can save the kicking booty for SkAm.

14. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Oh no I liked their FD ! SD sucked but the FD was really promising :(

15. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

That's not true. They used it three seasons. 2008-2009 they used it in exhibitions, 2009-2010 they used it as FS and 2012-2013 they used it as their SP.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Their FD was taken from an ice show, first choreographed for Domnina/Tikhonov. IMHO the pair that claims to be n.1 in Russia and a medal contender in the upcoming Olympics should be skating new programmes, rather than recycle TV shows....

17. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I liked that FD :( I know it wouldn't have been a classical piece like what Elena and Nikita are doing, but still :(
    I am sure the change came because I&K's FD is a lot better than expected and everyone wannts B&S to be at least as good right ? But changing now is crazy :(

18. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Same here. I thought it had wonderful potential. Olympics sure make people twitchy, and more inclined to play safe and grandiose ( hopefully not BS, but why else would they scrape an interesting FD?). A pity.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

YES!! He can save the booty kicking for SkAm, where I will finally get to see him compete here!! And I would love to see him kick bootay in both competitions. After seeing him this summer, I think the boy is ready, and he's really hungry. He has something to prove, and I hope everything holds together (that back has been a problem for a few years now) and that, you are right..he really just needs to go in head down and arse up, and do his job. He CAN do this. He has some of the nicest changes of edge I've ever seen. I want THAT level of confidence he had at Euros 2012. And after Triglav, his confidence has steadily improved, and so has his ability to land the jumps that went MIA last season. Liza...she's very young, and has a very bright future in the sport. I want that future to begin NOW!!

20. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Have fun, NadineWhite..Take many photos and video!!! I'm thrilled that they are giving Artur three majors (this one and two Grand Prix assignments!), when at the beginning of the announcements it looked like all he had was Skate America and a prayer for COR!! Perhaps this will be his true breakout year, and he couldn't have timed it better! Time will tell...

21. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Well-Known Member

SP Results from todays' Russian Cup II (Sochi)
    ETA the rest of the ladies results:
    4. Artemieva 58.06
    5. Biryukova 56.63
    9. Korobeinikova 43.40 (dead last)

Sadly no videos, hell I don't think there was even an audience :(

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That is not THE PREVIOUS SEASON to 'Cats' as you stated

The previous season? As in 2012-2011 when they skated to ‘All Alone’ and ‘Clair de Lune’?

The previous season? As in 2011-2010 when they skated to ‘Also sprach Zarathustra’ and ‘Clair de Lune’?

Or

(Like I said before) the Olympic season when they skated to: ‘Valse Sentimentale’/’The Blue Danube’ in the free skate and I don’t count the 2008-2009 exhibitions since they aren’t judged.

:rolleyes:

At any rate… I think a change is good for B&S otherwise they probably wouldn't be doing it.

23. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

As far as I know TAHbKA has blocked me (quite unfairly, in my opinion), but I want to explain a bit more about what she wrote here. Yes, the music and the general concept of that FD was from 'Ice Age', but the choreography looked quite different. By the way, the music of their last season FD (the 'Man With a Harmonica' part) was used in one of those shows too, although, from what I remember, the concept was a bit different. Also, I can't completely agree with TAHbKA - I, as well as other people who watch those 'Ice Age' shows regularly, have often thought that some of the ideas, music, choreographic elements, also some lifts could be adapted for competitive programs. There have been a lot of interesting things during the years that we would have liked to see better executed by competitive skaters (or, at least, just by professionals like two years ago in the 'Ice Age: Cup of Professionals' show).

24. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Bobrova & Soloviev's FD from the previous season was obviously inspired by Zhulin's work at the Ice Age tv show. "Man with the Harmonica" was used by Kazanova & Kostomarov in a number that got mostly positive feedback. Some of their moves in that FD were done by Arntgolts & Staviski in an Ice Age performance as well. I wouldn't be surprised if other ideas from that show will be used in future competitive programs.
    That said, I loved Domnina & Tikhonov's performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d358Xbu9wt0) and I was looking forward to what B&S could do with their new FD.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  25. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

Martyusheva & Rogonov are currently in third place after the SP at the Ondrej Nepela Trophy. They scored 28.46 in TES and 22.94 in PCS

26. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I cannot find a thread to discuss junior grand prix skaters and performances, so I just post here. Alexandra Proklova has quickly become my favorite among the countless Russian girls on the junior circuits. I find most of the Russian junior girls almost indistinguishable from each other --- they can jump but their choreography tends to be generic and their musicality is immature and superficial. Proklova really stands out. She does not flail or rush. She hits most of the accents in the music. Her expression is precise and purposeful. It doesn't hurt that she also has strong and secure edges and high quality posture. Impressive, especially considering she is only 13. I would much rather watch her than watch Lipniskaya or Sotnikova.

Her most recent performance at JGP CZE:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9brNF0bQM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUbv3gsBXzIwotCt2JGySfJA

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  27. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I wonder if B&S got feedback that the "dying bird" concept was too morbid and not "uplifting" enough for an Olympic FD. If they were going to include the gunshot sound effect like the show version, there might have been concern having a gun shot echoing through the arena might be a bit unsettling.

I'm hoping it's simply becuase they came across another piece of music or idea that they fell in love with more, and weren't forced to drop the current one.

I'm having flashbacks to P&B's 2010 Olympic FD that started with a lot of potential in the pre-season, and then got butchered into some nightmarish version for no discernible reason. :(:scream:

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Love her! What a great find! How old is she? Can she be age eligible for 2018?

29. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Interesting that Agafonova bombed her last competition with very low scores, yet she is leading here with quite a high one. Not sure what her deal is, she can do the jumps, it seems just not consistently. Korobeynikova :scream: makes me sad to see her regressing like that, I wonder if she grew even taller, or if she is injured. On the bright side, nice to see Biryukova put up a respectable score, hope that means she is recovered from the multiple stress fractures that wreaked havoc on her results and scores last season

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Proklova turned 13 on April 5: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00014530.htm
    She will be not be eligible for any ISU Senior events until the 2015-16 season (due to the age rule change that raises the ISU Senior age minimum for Grand Prix/Senior B comps from 14 to 15 next season) but she will be old enough for 2016 Europeans/Worlds and 2018 Olympics.

Proklova's coach, Inna Goncharenko, also coaches Elena Radionova and junior Alexander Samarin (among others) in Moscow.

ETA:
    It's the right place/thread to discuss Russian skaters (besides in the Kiss and Cry forum). JGP videos are also discussed in the U.S. Ladies thread in the Trash Can and the other threads by discipline/country in GSD/Trash Can.

FYI, I re-posted a version of your Proklova post in this new thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...nior-skaters&p=4009259&viewfull=1#post4009259

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013