From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

He was 7th once at worlds that I can see. Gachinsky was 3rd once, but Voronov has done pretty decently in the Grand Prix circuit. 2nds and 3rds at Cup of China, Russia, etc. When Plushenko wasn't around, he was the best Russian. I'm just curious. I thought maybe it was because he just fell in the shadow of Plushenko, which is easy to do. But he's just never mentioned, even when Gachinsky and Kovtun and Menshov are, which doesn't make sense to me. But I'm only a casual observer. Maybe he isn't blonde enough? (Just kidding.)

2. navire

navire New Member

Because of the light. He is usual golden-blond in the other recent pics.
    That was his friend's wedding, not his.

3. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Thanks for the info! I can't read Russian so I wasn't sure :)

4. navire

navire New Member

Yep, Maxim is blonder than him :D
    Sergei is doing well. Tutberidze said they learned 3Lz. He seemed very upbeat and content with himself in the interview after Perm.

5. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

6. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Why do you feel bad for Shelepen? It just didn't work out between her and Tutberidze. That's life. I think Shelepen will be happier without her.

7. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Voronov was 4th in the fs at 2008 worlds. He was all set to go to Vancouver then euros was awful and he was replaced by borodulin (now out indefinitely because of injury). Could've won Russian nationals for 2011 but had his own injuries. Came close to beating plushenko both in 2010 sp at Russian nationals and then again in 2013 overall. 2008-2009 was Russian champion! It's true internationally not much so that is why it's Gachinski!! Kovtun!!! Rather then voronov but he has a very impressive Russian nationals record.

8. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

You also have to keep in mind that Voronov dominated Russian Mens skating during a time where there were no real contenders.
    Take Yagudin for instance. He never managed to win Russian Nats due to the depth in Mens back then. Nowadays it's really (apart from when Plushenko is there) like that that the winner is the one who makes one mistake less than the others.

9. caseyedwards

That domination has allowed him to stay in the mix at Russian nationals.I think there is a good will toward him but they're always looking for someone better! The pcs is very respectable. He bombed the 2011 Russian nationals sp like gachinski and they both really soared in the fs. Bush just barely beat voronov!

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I don't see the fed learning from their disastrous results last year either. Even if Plushenko goes to the Olympics in 2014, he will definitely not go to worlds. So the world spot is still wide open. Who will they pick? Gachinski or Kovtun? IMO Gachinski will have to dominate the season leading up to the Olympics to reestablish himself as Russia's #1. Even then, if Kovtun has just respectable placements, the fed may still pick Kovtun over Gachinski.

11. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

To be fair, maybe it would be better if Gachinsky has decent results throughout the season but wasn't sent to the Olympics. I think his confidence may increase if he knows he can deliver (e.g. at GP events and any other competitions) but doesn't have the expectations of "we have only one slot so you are our only hope for medal in men category". Those unrealistic expectations are 'no win' situation. If you place well, everyone 'expected' it so it is no big deal, and if you place bad, you are marked as a failure. At Europeans they have more slots so the pressure shouldn't be so bad. (although it will be because it may help to decide who is going to Olympics and worlds).

12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Anyone knows what's going on with Kosygina - Moroshkin? Last season they had pretty decent results, 2nd and 2nd at JGP, 6th at JGPF, 2nd junior nationals, and 6th at junior worlds. Now they placed 4th at JGP. I expected better.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

I just looked up Ivan Volobuev's profil on this page and it lists his coaches as "former coaches" and Valeria Starygina as "former partner".
    Did he retire? :(

14. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I think he did. I saw him coaching already a few months ago. At that point he hadn't retired yet officially but they said he was done.

15. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

It's going to be a dogfight to see whom will get that lone Olympic spot for 2014, because I guarantee you the other men are not just going to lay down & die, they're going to give Zhenya a run for his $$$! :smokin: That's the best type of competition, where everybody skates their best and you win! :encore:

16. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

NOOOOOOOOOO :wuzrobbed: he was one of the most talented Russian male ice dancers...:fragile:

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Elena Radionova article before her senior international debut at Nebelhorn Trophy this week: http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32660-elena-radionova-gears-up-for-senior-debut
    Excerpt:

18. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

19. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

I remember in a interview her coach called her "dandelion"(maybe it's from her hair) or "bambi"(since she was so little and skinny). Now that "dandelion" is making her debut in the SENIOR field. Just WOW. Best wishes for her.:)

20. navire

navire New Member

"Dandelion" is sometimes used in Russian to describe a nice, innocent, harmless person. Full set expression is "God's dandelion".

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

Oh, thank you for a good information, navire. So lovely!!!

22. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  23. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Have there been any other test skates for Bobrova/Soloviev? I'm curious to see how their FD and new SD are developing.

24. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Okay, for the very first time *ever* the ice around my heart is starting to melt in regards to V/T. For the first time I actually like them. It may have to do with the music, as I've always always always LOVED this music. And alas they finally appear well-dressed, classic, elegant, the trademarks of all great Russians pairs. Their tradition. :smokin:

25. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

They will skate next weekend in Finlandia Trophy, Espoo, Finland. I´ll try to report.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  26. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

OMG, I LOVE VolTran's LP music! This could seriously be an iconic signature piece for them . . . it covers the gamut of emotion; it has an even balance of softness and power. It's haunting, triumphant, and heavenly. Very Olympic! *sigh* I'm in love! :encore:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  27. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

28. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Hahaha I loved it too! I've been dreading seeing it for weeks, because I thought it was going to be horrible. Thankfully I was wrong! I love both of their programs! (Maybe the SP a little more than the LP!) I'm not sold on those LP costumes though.

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I thought V/T's music was terrible. No denying their talent but the programs they get stuck with is really a disgrace for there abilities.

30. caseyedwards

I am so glad that v/t are actually fulfilling all the potential that was believed they could have when they first got together! They were both right! they needed to be partners! And there was a many year delay so they did get together at the exact right moment when both of their potential Could be maxed out to the fullest.