From Russia with love - Summer through Autumn 2013

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by allezfred, Aug 18, 2013.

1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Kovtun is in very good shape. He landed 5 quads (in SP 2 and LP 3 quads) in test skate.

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Why on earth would they? If they don't compete they don't medal. All skaters who compete in the short and/or free will get medals.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

When he did his sp he only did 3 jumps instead of 4

4. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I agree with you, julieann, but have read that the Alternate(s) will get a Team Medal even if s/he doesn't compete, thus my query. :)

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I read in it http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/11345.html

google translater:

- How do you Maxim Kovtun, who in any program performed three quadruple jumps - after two quads in the short program?

- Impressed. Today Kovtun bowled major part of his long program, something that was deliberately released, but he made three quads. We have seen them, they are quite decent quality.

6. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I remembered that video of his partial free skate but didn't remember him doing 3 quads in it. It was only a partial performance so I don't think that counts. He free skate at worlds began well and then he had a total technical meltdown and didn't do anything right. He wasn't used to doing 4:30 free skates. When he does a 4:30 free skate that will be a test.

7. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

She is talking about the closed test skate in Sochi, not the open practice from August.

8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Can anyone say "Maxim Kovtun"???

When TT was coaching Yagudin, I sang her praises for what she was able to get out of that kid...now, she's gone all Yard Sale on us...Come back, Visionary TT...I miss you!

And I've seen Gachinski's new programs...they are wonderful, an with that inevitable 'fleshing out', will be amazing, especially since it appears that 'Stella got her groove back"..he was landing quads all over..pretty ones, too. Never underestimate straightening out those 'private' distractions so you can concentrate on training!

Sad thing is, only ONE Russian man will be able to compete in Sochi. Putting Kovtun in that position was not fair to him. Menshov couldn't have faired any worse. Interesting to see how this develops. I'm going to Skate America..a competition Artur Gachinski MUST do well in to get the Rostellecom Cup TBA slot...failing here means basically an end to his Olympic dream for this cycle. I have faith that he WILL pull that rabbit out of his hat at SA. Cannot WAIT!

10. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

I agree. But I wish they would STOP treating Gachinski like a social disease!! True, Mishin put him out there as 'the next Plushenko", which was totally unfair and a hell of a thing to live up to), but Artur is in NO way at fault for that! He had a crappy season, and learned ALOT about his beloved sport after Euros 2012, that was hard to swallow. But he choked it down after last season, and he's voraciously re-focused and ready for this season to start. I seriously smell 'comeback' here, in a major way, on his OWN terms, not trying to live up to his coach's 10 year old hype. Skating with the confidence that skating on your own terms and within limits you set for yourself, he's going to arrive, guns balzing, in Detroit. After all, how do you keep down a man who has nothing to lose?? It's apparently all-or-nothing at SA. So, Artur...let's DO this.

They bashed the crap out of Gachinski for Worlds 2012, threw the baby out with the bath water, wrote him off,....you name it. Yet Kovtun was cradled and coddled like a toddler who lost his binky...I hope this means they have learned theie lesson about how they manage skaters who don't do well. . Sad that Gachinski had to be the casualty of their learning curve.

I just think Tarosova had alot to do with the handling of her pupil. Sorry. I just don't have much faith in the Fed changing it's ways so quickly.

Just MHO...

11. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Thank you for this!! I guess THEY saw Artur's new programs too!!! SO happy to see the Fed giving him the chance he deserves. At least he won't have to throw everything onto the ice at SA, although I'm pretty sure he'll do it ANYWAY!! God, I love this crazy, beautiful sport!!

PS> Guess I shouldn't answer posts until I've read all the way through the thread, huh??

YAY for discovering this! And Gosviani got the Ladies TBA!!! I am a happy happy happy girl right now!!:40beers:

12. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

MissKarne, you are...

My new best friend!!:cheer2:

13. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Well-Known Member

Nvm.

14. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

This is in regard to Bobrova channelling Marilyn Monroe..

Have you seen the movie "Blades of Glory"?? They could do THAT program, where she is Marilyn and he JFK..loads of laughs!!

15. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

What was the issue with Artur last season? Was he injured?

16. navire

navire New Member

Have you seen him live? When and where?
    I'm wondering, because there's no vid of his new SP anywhere.

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw that movie, very funny..:lol:

18. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

Mishin really isn't too fond of videos during training camp...someone got away with the FP, which Artur then put on his official channel. The SP, I'm assuming, no one was able to get. I didn't record a thing....too busy just watching Jeff Buttle work his magic with Artur and Liza...good stuff.

19. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Buttle is working with Artur & Liza? That's great!

20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Pieced together from dodgy Google translations, I believe the main issue was that Artur developed flat-footedness and they were having trouble fitting his boots correctly. This led to numbness and pain in his legs after only a very short time on the ice, which impacted his training (and obviously his performance; I can't imagine trying to land a quad if you can't feel your feet). Mishin also mentioned a low immune system caused by stress (Gee, I wonder what caused that? Yes, I'm looking at you, RFSF!) and a "second adolescence" which most have taken to mean a late growth spurt (he did look a lot bigger last year - he's gone from being equal height with Plushenko to slightly taller).

So all in all, a steamroller whammy of issues.

Yep, Buttle did Artur's SP and Liza's LP and reportedly Artur was so taken with the SP that he's said it's not going to change at all.

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Gachinski is taller than Plushenko now? Yikes, jumping is difficult enough for the taller guys, but that's really tall for a skater.

22. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I've always really liked Gachinsky but you know Voronov is my guy.....and has been for a few years. I'm reading this thread and see he placed first in Perm, yet nobody says anything about him. Why is that? I thought his programs were really good, though I am no tecknik.

23. misskarne

misskarne #408

I think the issue with Voronov is that he's never really done anything on the world stage, has he? His second at RN was great but what is his Worlds record? Gachinski may have failed at Worlds 2011, but Voronov didn't exactly shine either.

24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

25. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Being tall is a bit disadvantage, but it didn't prevent Lysacek getting the results at worlds/Olympics.

26. navire

navire New Member

I noticed that difference in the pics from Pinzolo and it made me worry, because according to their profiles Zhenya is 178cm tall and Artur is 175, so I thought that maybe Zhenya became lower after the operation (I've read such thing happens to people after a certain kind of spinal column surgery). That was an unpleasant thought to think.
    But in the recent photo with Ivan Okhlobystin https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BT5lNATIYAAtWHy.jpg Gachinski looks right as tall as him, and Okhlobystin is 180. So that's just Artur growing bigger, my heart is relieved now.

But he is such a huge guy really - no wonder some Russian media misunderstood Mishin and wrote an article about "pair skaters Tuktamysheva and Gachinski" doing well in the test skate in Sochi :lol:

27. Loves_Shizuka

^True... but it isn't particularly attractive skating (Lysacek's) IMO :shuffle:

Hopefully it won't be an issue for Artur.

28. misskarne

misskarne #408

Oh hell yes.

And remember people, Kulik was six foot...

29. Loves_Shizuka

30. misskarne

misskarne #408

It does look quite dark.

Oh my, Konstantin just posted some photos on instagram that look like he got married! But as I can't quite work out how to get into instagram on my computer to link them, I'll have to leave it to someone more tech-savvy than me.